Author Topic: NFL  (Read 72356 times)

Yada

Re: NFL
« Reply #285 on: January 03, 2023, 10:32:18 am »
Exactly... and how many games keep moving on when I guy just lost the ability to walk for the remainder of his life?

Based on my 13 seconds of research, this is the first time this has ever happened? Additionally, a couple of meatballs in pinstripes that wish they were actually playing the game vs. reffing most likely have a protocol they have to follow until told otherwise.

Now let's head to the just announced thread.

IIRC they gave Joe Theismann 300 seconds to get off the field.

That's my point... awful injuries happen yearly.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #286 on: January 03, 2023, 10:32:23 am »
Based on my 13 seconds of research, this is the first time this has ever happened?
I mean, football players have died on the field before. Many in the early Ivy League days of the sport. And Jack Trice post-safety changes to the sport in the 1920s (still the only African-American with their name on a major college/NFL stadium). Chuck Hughes died on the field in 1971 and the game rolled on.

If you're asking if a player had a cardiac incident of this severity as a result of football actions in the widely televised-era of the sport: no. In basketball there's Hank Gathers but Loyola-Marymount basketball is not MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL viewership-wise.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #287 on: January 03, 2023, 10:33:53 am »
Exactly... and how many games keep moving on when I guy just lost the ability to walk for the remainder of his life?

Based on my 13 seconds of research, this is the first time this has ever happened? Additionally, a couple of meatballs in pinstripes that wish they were actually playing the game vs. reffing most likely have a protocol they have to follow until told otherwise.

IIRC they gave Joe Theismann 300 seconds to get off the field.

That was close to 40 years ago!!!

Things change but you can’t compare broken bones to a heart that has stopped beating.

Yada

« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2023, 10:35:03 am »

Sorry I'm not really following closely, but am I the only person in the world who would rather be a ref than a football player?

The Refs are doing the jobs they're supposed to do, not determine the severity of an injury and how long a delay should happen or if a game should be canceled.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2023, 10:57:58 am »
This piece, ironically entitled Buffalo, by Spencer Hall remains one of my favorite pieces of sportswriting and seems even more timely in light of this.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #291 on: January 03, 2023, 01:52:13 pm »
How do these people sleep at night?

Space Freely

« Reply #292 on: January 03, 2023, 02:02:15 pm »
I don't know if Kinzinger has a shed with 10,000 LP's or counts integers in his sleep, but I feel like he'd be a good addition to this forum.

Starsky

« Reply #293 on: January 03, 2023, 02:03:16 pm »
I saw him once at Anthem. Natty dresser. Shorter than I expected. I wish I could remember name of show…