Author Topic: Financial Advice and How to Raise your Kids Thread  (Read 6971 times)

Hutch

Re: Financial Advice and How to Raise your Kids Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2024, 02:01:06 pm »
NKOTB feels Biden will lose the election over Americans’ concerns for Gazan wellbeing. 75% of Biden’s base.

nkotb

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2024, 02:13:57 pm »
Well according to a recent Gallap poll, 75% of democrats disapprove of Israel’s action in Gaza. I'm assume its people that hate kids being murdered. Seems that's more than just "Muslims"

https://www.semafor.com/article/03/27/2024/majority-americans-disapprove-israel-military-action-gaza-gallup-poll

Do I think that means that 75% of Bidens base will not vote for him? Of course not. But I guess we all better hope enough voters in swing states are as Ok with mass murder of civilians as some people seem to be!  Seems a risky gamble imo

Hutch

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2024, 02:19:12 pm »
Keep spinning, obfuscating and outright lying. Doesn’t do you any favors.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2024, 03:10:57 pm »
Trump is so much more pro Israel and Netanyahu it’s ridiculous

louder, for the folks at the back

i'm not personally in contact with any of the river-to-the-sea set, but are any of the dems/lefties in that crowd (i.e. its majority) seriously considering voting for trump as a protest??

methinks the risk is that they don't vote at all: can't vote for biden because of pro-Israel policies, and can't vote for trump because trump.

the Gaza crisis will evolve between now and november.  there are several signs that that Biden admin is righting the ship so to speak - the aforementioned UN resolution being the most recent and public example (many Israelis are furious with Bibi about this, saying the resolution is a sign that he's effed up the country's special relationship with the US).  i think Biden has time to sufficiently mitigate the impact of this issue before the election.
<sig>

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2024, 05:07:51 pm »
I wad thinking more of the "doesn't like seeing children indiscriminately murdered" crowd. Which right now is like 75% of Biden's base.

Hamas-fellatio crowd
75% of what base…. You are insane
slack

nkotb

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2024, 06:13:44 pm »
Maybe I'm making assumptions ,but I would assume Biden's base would be democrats?  Who again, in a Gallap poll published today, disprove of Israel's actions in Gaza 75% to 25%.

Surprising to me too, but I guess seeing an onslaught of innocent people killed waiting in line for food, and children literally starving to death can even sway the most callous liberals...though clearly not all of them.

It's Ok to not believe polls or whatever...but based on the number of folks willing to show up to an uncontested primary and vote "uncommitted" or the like in swing states, I'd think it would be cause for alarm, especially if Trump is the end of democracy as we know it.

I wad thinking more of the "doesn't like seeing children indiscriminately murdered" crowd. Which right now is like 75% of Biden's base.

Hamas-fellatio crowd
75% of what base…. You are insane

Hutch

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2024, 06:14:55 pm »
You keep writing “Gallap” but it’s Gallup.

nkotb

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 06:16:11 pm »
Not the way I do it, it isn't

Hutch

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 06:20:35 pm »
Polls…
The first thing you learn about polls is that people will respond based on how a question is asked.

I disapprove at this point of some of Israel’s actions but I am voting for Joe Biden.

Of course I disapprove more of Hamas and anybody that supports them….

I don’t consider Biden responsible for what Netanyahu is doing. I think this is a facile interpretation of events.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 07:28:08 pm »
I don’t consider Biden responsible for what Netanyahu is doing. I think this is a facile interpretation of events.

The Biden admin isn't directly responsible, but they have given tacit approval and permission - hell, they even enabled via military aid. Biden is being dragged by the predictable arc: at first most Americans approved of Israel's actions, given the horrors of Oct 7th. But the IDF has gone overboard, and public support has evaporated. If the Israelis had done a better job of sparring civilians and civilian infrastructure, I suspect they could have carried on forever in Gaza... But they haven't. 

Israel clearly needed to do something about Hamas. Turning the Gaza strip into a death camp isn't it. I support Israel's right to exist and their desire for security, but not how they're conducting this military campaign.  I also support the Palestinians and their right to self determination, but I'm against what they did on 10/7.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:29:57 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2024, 09:03:26 pm »
So taking your 16 year old out driving is pretty stressful.

Hutch

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2024, 09:09:18 pm »
That is really splitting hairs.

The US gave tacit approval at the beginning for Israel’s stated goal of wiping out Hamas. Who wouldn’t after what happened? Israel should have just taken it? The US has tried to restrain Israel but it’s not the 1950s. Israel is a powerful country and we don’t control them. Unfortunately this is a common misconception. I have no doubt Biden and his Secretary of State have told Israel not to continue this campaign but Netanyahu doesn’t care.

But Israel has been a friend to America for a very long time. That is also part of the equation. And Hamas is allied with countries and organizations that loathe us and have hurt us. Countries and organizations that wish death to America.

The idea that without our aid Israel wouldn’t have done what it did is absurd. It’s a typical crutch. They don’t ask for or need our permission!

I used to support Palestinian statehood vehemently. But supporting a state run by terrorists? No, I can’t do that.

I hope that Israelies and Palestinians someday have better leadership.

The abstention yesterday is a very big deal. I expect to see more from the Biden administration. People say well we gave them weapons. True but I think we will give them less as this carries on and the relationship becomes more and more strained. Change is slow and gradual. Nothing is going to happen overnight. Saying it’s because of polls or something….well people can say it but I am not buying. It just doesn’t support American objectives in the region for Israel to continue on this path.

It is amazing to see so many Americans suddenly interested in the lives of civilians in Gaza. I don’t recall such a view about civilians when the US was bombing Afghanistan and Irak to smithereens. I was against it then and am against what Israel is doing in Gaza.

But to go the extra step of holding Biden and the US responsible for what Israel does? No, I can’t countenance that…

I also think to call it genocide is ludicrous. If Israel wanted to wipe Gaza of the map it could easily have done that months ago. Nevertheless collateral damage of the sort Israel is inflicting on Gaza does seem indiscriminate and not a proportional response. As such it seems a war crime. But war is like that…. Very ugly. Does nobody remember the things we did in our last two wars? We blew up entire families.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:11:46 pm by Hutch »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2024, 10:59:54 pm »
She's probably used to the stress.

So taking your 16 year old out driving is pretty stressful.