Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1593877 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #2820 on: March 15, 2016, 09:14:31 am »
didn't we create a thread for this
your postings on this topic are no longer random, but predictable (and monotonous)
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2821 on: March 15, 2016, 09:55:36 am »
didn't we create a thread for this
your postings on this topic are no longer random, but predictable (and monotonous)
I believe in a freeform version of posting where conversations are spontaneous and appear organically wherever.
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #2822 on: March 15, 2016, 10:00:58 am »
"meta gravy" . . . it goes on any,thing.

killsaly

« Reply #2823 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:11 am »

killsaly

« Reply #2824 on: March 15, 2016, 11:10:48 am »
4/29
Wildhoney, Bond St. District, Romantic States, Post Pink, Baklavaa
@ the Ottobar

killsaly

« Reply #2825 on: March 15, 2016, 11:11:07 am »
How about the Orioles?   8)

« Reply #2826 on: March 15, 2016, 11:22:09 am »
KS doing his version of freeform posting   ;D
slack

killsaly

« Reply #2827 on: March 15, 2016, 11:25:10 am »
 8)

Yada

« Reply #2828 on: March 15, 2016, 11:33:39 am »
From a couple hundred pages back in the Rollcall thread, I am going to copy it instead of quoting it:

hey killsaly . . . i did not mean it as an attack on you.  you know, lets get off subject for a second, and discuss your name, this killsaly . . . who is saly and why do you want to kill her?  im sure im missing the true meaning, but i like mine, as well.  kill saly.

OK.  Here is the story of my moniker.

First off, I do not advocate violence against ANYONE, and especially not women. That being said, this name is one I have been using as my internet handle (and email and video games and message boards and whatever else) since 1996.  But what does it mean, and where does it come from? 

Well, it all came from a misunderstanding.  My cousin Micah used to have a stepfather, aka Steamboat Willy (that wasn?t his name but he was a captain on a barge on the Mississippi River).  He was extremely old to be Micah?s stepfather (Willy was about 30 years older than Micah?s mom) and was very much out of touch.

The 90?s, as I am sure a lot of you remember, was the time of MTV, magazines, and band fan clubs.  One such fan club was the one for Alice in Chains.  The Alice in Chains fan club used to do things like mail out postcards to the members for Christmas.  One Christmas Micah?s Christmas card was intercepted by Steamboat Willy. 

?You got something in the mail Micah,? Steamboat Willy said with a sneer, ?Something from Kill Sally or some shit.?

Micah took his postcard and stored this nugget in the back of his mind, until the next time we saw each other (which wasn?t too far in the future, we were best friends and thick as thieves at that point).   He recalled the story to me and we both had a good laugh. 

During this time I happened to be in my first band, and we were in the midst of picking a name.  I suggested the name, but the other members liked other names.  So I decided to use it as my internet name (Hackers was a big movie around that time and having a unique internet handle seemed like a good idea).  But I wanted something completely unique.  I decided to go with it as one word, all lowercase, and with only one L in Saly (the four L?s of Kill Sally were too much).  So Kill Sally became killsaly. 

I kept using it for everything.  Internet boards, email, and anything that needed a username all had killsaly as my username.  It was in 2004 that I started making electronic music by myself.  And I needed a name.  At that point I decided on two separate names; first, killsaly for the darker music (drum and bass mostly) and second, JJ Dynomite (based on a nickname I had received in the military) for happier music like house.  That lasted for a year or so, until I decided I should focus on one name, so JJ Dynomite went away, and only killsaly was left. 

Fast forward to now.  I still use it for my solo electronic music, but not for the darker music (my witch house stuff is released as Hexenjagd, or witch hunt in German, and I also have a few groups and projects in the pipeline as Campaign Trail 72, Surgeon Mary, Cassius Claymore, and Black Cat Hit Squad) and for remixes (http://killsaly.bandcamp.com/album/classics has a few of the tunes I have made over the years on it). I still use it for message boards and all that.  Basically if you google killsaly, you find me.  BUT, someone in Japan now uses it as well (http://www.killsaly.com/ ) after I let my registration of that site lapse (not thinking ANYONE would want to use it).  I have contacted this person to ask them WHY, but didn?t receive and answer.  And I let it slide, because who cares?

Anyways, that is the origin of the word.  If people ask me about it, I either give them the Steamboat Willy spiel, or just tell them it?s a modification of the Northern Irish word Kilsally (L?s are in a different order) http://www.collinsmaps.com/maps/United-Kingdom/Northern-Ireland/Cookstown/Kilsally/P1110773.00.aspx though i didnt know this place existed until many years later.

The end

the story of my moniker with my FB page attached.

https://www.facebook.com/YADA-1654289611479728/?fref=nf

« Reply #2829 on: March 15, 2016, 11:42:18 am »

hmm, I think I liked you better with the dreds

YADA
Yesterday at 11:08am ·
A overweight an unhealthy person cannot lead you to God!!!! It's impossible... Yada

even your grammar has gone downhill
slack

Yada

« Reply #2830 on: March 15, 2016, 11:49:32 am »

hmm, I think I liked you better with the dreds

YADA
Yesterday at 11:08am ·
A overweight an unhealthy person cannot lead you to God!!!! It's impossible... Yada

even your grammar has gone downhill

sidehutch wrote that as a guest blogger.

hutch

« Reply #2831 on: March 15, 2016, 05:50:34 pm »
I am surprised by these articles citing a comedian saying Brian Johnson told him he'd been basically kicked out of AC/DC.. find it very hard to believe.. waiting to see  something official from AC/DC or directly from Brian..

http://radio.com/2016/03/15/has-acdc-replaced-brian-johnson/

Space Freely

« Reply #2832 on: March 16, 2016, 09:11:51 am »
how random...

I know two songs that name check Ali McGraw. Both songs are from bands that are from Athens GA.

?from ?Famine Affair? by Of Montreal

Thought she was my Annie Hall
Or at least Ali McGraw
Now I feel so wilted
It's a famine affair
The whole attempt was shoddy
Just to put trash in my body

?from ?Steve McQueen? by Drive By Truckers

And I really loved the 'Getaway' back when I was eight
That pussy Alec Baldwin sucked in the remake
And speaking of pussy, I guess Steve got it all
He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw

shemptiness

« Reply #2833 on: March 16, 2016, 09:34:42 am »
I am surprised by these articles citing a comedian saying Brian Johnson told him he'd been basically kicked out of AC/DC.. find it very hard to believe.. waiting to see  something official from AC/DC or directly from Brian..

http://radio.com/2016/03/15/has-acdc-replaced-brian-johnson/

Sounds like he's backtracking now.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2834 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:47 am »

Momma's wrong again!
LVMH