Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602787 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2014, 03:52:31 pm »
I don't drink and drive...and I guess I drink a lot
slack

Yada

« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2014, 03:55:18 pm »
I don't know...the Syndey thing sounds callous and capitalist
but it's just a computer doing a supply and demand algorithm

In the US they already waive surge pricing during emergencies

I've taken UBER about 50 times in the last three years and I would say WITHOUT A DOUBT that the service is 100% better than DC and VA cabs, maybe even 500% better
the fares are fair if not cheaper, the drivers are much nicer, the vehicles are way better
and now thanks to GPS, people don't really need to know how to get places....that was the value of a veteran cabbie
Can't tell you how many times I got in a stinky cab in DC and he way over charged me and didn't know where he was going

I agree...it's an amazing service. I used it twice this weekend.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:37 am »
I use it all the time. Took a cab over the weekend for the same route as an Uber and it was a solid 5 dollars more. But I was drunk and needed to get home.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2014, 10:55:24 am »
I'm not a frequent Uber user but when I've used it, it was quick, much nicer than a taxi, and at a similar price point. Would recommend.
LVMH

« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2014, 11:26:58 am »
I'm not a frequent Uber user but when I've used it, it was quick, much nicer than a taxi, and at a similar price point. Would recommend.
One would think that Julian doesn't use UberX like the rest of us, he uses UBER black sedan service
slack

« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:32 am »
One would think that Julian doesn't use UberX like the rest of us, he uses UBER black sedan service
I don't think UBER black sedan (if a real thing) has rolled out in Richmond yet. UberX (that's the larger vehicles, right?) just got here in the last month.

The VIP tickets to Fall Line Fest (our version of Hopscotch) came with free Uber for the weekend and it was worth the ticket upgrade alone. Never waited more than 3-5 minutes for a ride, very convenient if you were drinking, etc.
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2014, 11:53:09 am »
Green Day gets in to the RNR HOF and the Smiths don't?  WTF?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:01 am »
UberX is the smaller cars like hybirds and what not.

Then they have the smaller SUVs, large black SUVs, black car sedans, and I think that's it for now... They have settings for families and are now delivering goods. I haven't tried that yet. They sent me an email.
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:54 pm »
someone told me that they send you emails or texts or something with info on the car and drivers photo, so you know that the vehicle really is your uber?  i heard that in new York, people have been just getting into peoples cars thinking they were ubers.  i wonder if people already stereotype what they think uber drivers look like?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2014, 12:36:39 pm »
Uber gives you the drivers name, a picture, and their rating. I believe Uber also gets the person who orders it. Based on their rating the driver can choose to pick them up or not. I believe my rating is alright... My friend just became and Uber driver. I should ask her what my rating is.

One complaint is that a LOT of Uber drivers have no idea where they are going. I've jumped in an Uber plenty of times and when I talk to them they don't live in DC or even frequent it so they go by their GPS regardless of traffic. Multiple times I've given them directions or alternate routes.

People jump into random cars all over thinking they are Ubers. It's just because literally any car can be an UberX. Nissan, Honda, Scion, Chevy, whatever. The only way you can tell if it's an Uber is that it will have the "U" on one of the windows. I've seen it happen multiple times.
‼‼?‼‼

ggw

« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »
Is this whole "Sony Pictures Hacked" story really just an elaborate publicity campaign for The Interview?

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2014, 03:57:07 pm »
Maybe - but why would they intentionally leak their own movies (which equals monetary loss) and embarrassing company emails (which equals embarrassment) over a SETH ROGAN and JAMES FRANCO movie? 

« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2014, 04:14:31 pm »
Maybe - but why would they intentionally leak their own movies (which equals monetary loss) and embarrassing company emails (which equals embarrassment) over a SETH ROGAN and JAMES FRANCO movie? 
I concur. I feel like there is already a sufficient base of untalented, insufferable assholes who will go see two of their own's new film that Sony really doesn't need to promote it...
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:48 pm »

That's what makes it so genius!  Have you forgotten the old Hollywood maxim, "there's no such thing as bad publicity"?

Plus, the kind of people who are illegally downloading Fury probably wouldn't have paid to see it in the first place.  And the target audience for Annie wouldn't know a peer-to-peer network from a Pier 1.

« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »
And the target audience for Annie wouldn't know a peer-to-peer network from a Pier 1.
Whoa, black people torrent. I can't hear you all the way back there in the 1950s.
LVMH