Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1593594 times)

Rogue Riderhood

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2014, 03:11:09 pm »

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2014, 05:12:33 pm »
The 50 Most Influential Rappers of All Time

NWA - Number 6 http://www.bet.com/music/photos/2011/09/50-most-influential-rappers.html#!091211-music-nwa

Dr Dre - Number 3 http://www.bet.com/music/photos/2011/09/50-most-influential-rappers.html#!060911-music-body-dre-big

Nobody knows who Dre is?  He sold tons of music.  Has influenced tons of rappers/producers.  Is one of the richest hip hop moguls etc.

really?  I still do not get why you (to you Julian, I moved this) think Dr Dre is not recognizable. 

ggw

« Reply #302 on: December 25, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »
Dude, let it go. Just let it go...

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #303 on: December 25, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »
Rolling Stone ranked him 56 in greatest artists of all time.  Where was Taylor on that list?  

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #304 on: December 25, 2014, 05:14:30 pm »
Dude, let it go. Just let it go...
Why do you care? 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #305 on: December 25, 2014, 05:23:43 pm »
Influence has nothing to do with celebrity or identifiability. Nor does talent. My parents don't know who Dr Dre is; they do know who Taylor Swift is. Grandparents know who Taylor Swift is. 2nd graders know who Taylor Swift is.

Taylor Swift is everywhere in 2014. She's in every grocery store check out lane. She is in commercials. She's one of Barbara Walters most interesting people. She has maximum media saturation. Dr Dre does not. That's not to say Taylor is better than Dr Dre or anything like that, but it's just undeniable that someone whose image is proverbially everywhere is more recognizable than someone who is not.
LVMH

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #306 on: December 25, 2014, 05:44:48 pm »
My parents do not know who Dr Dre is.  My fiance's parents do know who he is. 

I did not ever say Taylor was not easily identifiable.  I am saying Dr Dre is also easily identifiable.

Anyways, I think iTunes/Apple deleted my mp3 copy of NYC Cops by the Strokes (from their debut CD that I bought while living in South Korea in 2001 that had this song and the original artwork).  I was listening to some of their music the other day, and I noticed that the track was no longer in my library... Strange.

hutch

« Reply #307 on: December 25, 2014, 10:12:10 pm »
My parents do not know who Dr Dre is.  My fiance's parents do know who he is. 

I did not ever say Taylor was not easily identifiable.  I am saying Dr Dre is also easily identifiable.

Anyways, I think iTunes/Apple deleted my mp3 copy of NYC Cops by the Strokes (from their debut CD that I bought while living in South Korea in 2001 that had this song and the original artwork).  I was listening to some of their music the other day, and I noticed that the track was no longer in my library... Strange.

I don't know...Dre is legend....

anyways, as far as NYC Cops..such a great song... it was a bummer when they took it off..

also the European album cover is so much better.. you know the one...

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #308 on: December 25, 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
That is the same cover as the version I bought.  It is sitting in a box in my basement.  I was surprised when I got back to the US and saw the replacement cover at the record shop. 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2014, 10:04:29 am »
But he isn't. He hasn't put out a record in a decade. There are not commercials with Dr. Dre on TV. Dr Dre is not on tabloid covers. To the best of my knowledge, his picture is not on the packaging for his head phones.

If you showed 100 Americans at random a picture of Dr Dre, how many do you think can correctly identify him? Because my guess would be in the single digits.
LVMH

« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2014, 10:05:47 am »

I'm sorry, but what are we looking at here?
LVMH

« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2014, 11:12:19 am »
Johann Sebastian Bach
slack

« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2014, 11:14:32 am »
Johann Sebastian Bach
If you expect me to be able to identify Bach by sight, you haven't been paying attention. Has he ever even guest-starred on #PLL ?
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2014, 11:58:49 am »
Johann Sebastian Bach

aka the most influential musician in Western music history.
😐 🎶