Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602598 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2014, 12:12:29 pm »
I just cheated and looked where the image came from by quoting his comment
I had no clue either....
I do think that more people would recognize DrDre over JSB
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2014, 12:18:11 pm »
Agreed. Its almost as though visual identifiability is not directly proportional to musical influence! Stop the madness!
LVMH

« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2014, 12:19:30 pm »
there are 10,000 bands I like better than the Velvet Underground....

Are any of them maniacs? :)

NO but they are all from Baltimore....

Who would have thought that there are 2½ times the number of holes in Blackburn Lancashire as there are bands in Baltimore!
Oh, and the person who 'blew his mind out in a car' was Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness estate who was a close friend of the Beatles and was killed in a car accident in 1966.
slack

« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2014, 12:28:39 pm »
However the song's other lyricist-composer, Paul McCartney, had a very different inspiration. He is quoted as saying: "The verse about the politician blowing his mind out in a car we wrote together. It has been attributed to Tara Browne, the Guinness heir, which I don?t believe is the case, certainly as we were writing it, I was not attributing it to Tara in my head. In John?s head it might have been. In my head I was imagining a politician bombed out on drugs who?d stopped at some traffic lights and didn?t notice that the lights had changed. The ?blew his mind? was purely a drugs reference, nothing to do with a car crash."
slack

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #319 on: December 26, 2014, 02:27:50 pm »
Agreed. Its almost as though visual identifiability is not directly proportional to musical influence! Stop the madness!

Nobody said it was.  I said he was both recognizable and influential.  And since you could not identify him, you obviously do not like Hip Hop at all, or you would probably be able to identify him.  He has sold millions and millions of records.   He has sold millions and millions of headphones.  He has a career that is entering it's THIRD decade.  Just because you dont like hip hop does NOT mean that only a handful of 100 people on the street would be able to identify him.  That is just showing your own ignorance on the subject the subject being hip hop, Dr Dre, and who can identify him.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:29:33 pm by killsaly, the Virtuous and Benevolent Protector »

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »
And that is cool and all, not liking hip hop.  But dont project your own experiences onto the realm of pop culture in general. 

Nobody says Dre is more recognizable than Swift.  BUT, he IS one of the most recognizable hip hop artists, ever. 

And I am not going to pursue arguing this anymore.  It makes you look silly, and I do not want that.  I respect you too much.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:35:58 pm by killsaly, the Virtuous and Benevolent Protector »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #321 on: December 26, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »
Johann Sebastian Bach
If you expect me to be able to identify Bach by sight, you haven't been paying attention. Has he ever even guest-starred on #PLL ?

What is #PLL?
[/quote]

WOW, I was watching TV the other day and just happened to see this show listed so I tuned in.  It took me all of about 5 seconds to see it as show geared towards girls aged 13-16.  I think it took me about 15 - 20 seconds to realize just exactly how big a piece of dog shit the show is and turn it to the commercials on the show i had been watching since they were a vastly higher level of programming.  It amazes me that drivel like that actually lasts past one episode let alone past a full season!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:07:45 am by RatBastard »
FUKIT

« Reply #322 on: December 26, 2014, 02:41:01 pm »
I'm going to ask again, what precentage of (randomized) Americans do you think could identify Dr Dre from a photo? I've asked this multiple times and you seem to not want to answer for some reason.
LVMH

« Reply #323 on: December 26, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »
Johann Sebastian Bach
If you expect me to be able to identify Bach by sight, you haven't been paying attention. Has he ever even guest-starred on #PLL ?

What is #PLL?
Let me google that for you...
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #324 on: December 26, 2014, 02:42:49 pm »
Johann Sebastian Bach

What is #PLL?
Let me google that for you...

OK when you do, get back to me with the answer.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #325 on: December 26, 2014, 02:45:18 pm »
I think its true more people would recognize Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton than Dr. Dre

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
I'm going to ask again, what precentage of (randomized) Americans do you think could identify Dr Dre from a photo? I've asked this multiple times and you seem to not want to answer for some reason.

All this absurd discussion over the fact that I don't follow the world of pop tarts and I can't (nor do I desire to) identify the flavor of the month in the dime a dozen singing heads world...  I bet you guys think that shows like The Voice and American Ide-Hole actually have talented contestants.  Hell the Gong Show had better pure talent than these mass produced, fixed outcome, non-talent show cases do.
FUKIT

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #327 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:51 pm »
OK how the FUCK would I know that? 

Why dont you go ask 100 people?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #328 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
I think its true more people would recognize Taylor Swift, Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton than Dr. Dre

I be able to ID anyone who is famous for being famous so hat leaves out two of the three you named! :)  What is even sadder is that more people can most likely ID those three clowns than can ID more than 3-4 presidents or even he congressmen from their own state.
FUKIT

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2014, 02:51:07 pm »
That is not the point. 

The point is, DRE is also recognizable. And to deny that is to show ignorance of the genre of hip hop.  Nothing against Julian, I am just saying if he knew anything about that style of music, then he would be able to identify the good Doctor.