Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602067 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #1365 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:47 am »
While a portion of the web community has started using handheld devices of some sort to browse the web, very few use those exclusively and a majority still use computers most of the time. 
What? Mobile internet usage surpassed computer internet usage last year. I am not going to post any links, the stats are easy to find.

Perhaps if one counts every single time someone uses his phone for web access, which is 100% irrelevant because for the most part none of these pages modern or not are really designed for phone use. 
gonna have to side with KS on this one
those pages are definitely designed with mobile phone/tablet users in mind
and people do a lot of web surfing on those devices, not just checking facebook and email
my 75 year old mom hasn't used her laptop in 2 years and does everything on her ipad mini (oh the horror)

the whole scrolling up and down the page and not having to click on tabs at the top or side is 100% phone friendly
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1366 on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:37 am »
any chance this whole "flat design" thing is more about your personal preference, and what is easy for you to read?
Ratbastard being myopic? Well, I suppose stranger things have happened.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1367 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:58 am »
any chance this whole "flat design" thing is more about your personal preference, and what is easy for you to read?

actually, it was a reference to RB's self-admitted mild dyslexia.  he has stated in the past that he has particular preferences and needs when it comes to reading, that standard presentation doesn't always work for him, etc... so i was questioning how good a judge he might be when it comes to assessing layout for others.

analogy: if you can't taste sweet, you might not want to make a universal declaration that a given desert isn't tasty, at all.
<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #1368 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:01 am »
no, please . . . continue.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1369 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:30 am »
While a portion of the web community has started using handheld devices of some sort to browse the web, very few use those exclusively and a majority still use computers most of the time. 
What? Mobile internet usage surpassed computer internet usage last year. I am not going to post any links, the stats are easy to find.

Perhaps if one counts every single time someone uses his phone for web access, which is 100% irrelevant because for the most part none of these pages modern or not are really designed for phone use. 
gonna have to side with KS on this one
those pages are definitely designed with mobile phone/tablet users in mind
and people do a lot of web surfing on those devices, not just checking facebook and email
my 75 year old mom hasn't used her laptop in 2 years and does everything on her ipad mini (oh the horror)

the whole scrolling up and down the page and not having to click on tabs at the top or side is 100% phone friendly

I understand that to some scrolling may be easier than touching the screen.  That is not the issue.  The issue is in the implementation of the concept with a totally flat all run together layout.  If designers would do something to make the page more readable and fill it with more content and less fluff, it would be a lot better.  The way a lot of the one page sites are, there is no segregation of content what-so-ever and it literally looks like someone wrote information on a pile of sticky notes and then randomly threw them at the screen with no concern for what landed where.

Take for example a page that has a few flaws that make it damn near useless, Etsy.  Get rid of the big graphic at the top of the page (it adds nothing at all to the page and shoves the first real content almost all the way off of the opening screen, a MAJOR flaw to make users scroll to even get to the first real content), get rid of the "hand" graphic and related content (again it has no value at all and is mere space filler/fluff, more is not always better), and get rid of the "Satisfied Customers", "Passionate Sellers", "Secure Transactions" content (again it adds absolutely nothing to the page but is space filler fluff).

Make those changes and that site is 100% better.  I still do not like the flatness of the site but it would be vastly improved with the clutter and fluff gone.  Designers who code the new flat scheme generally seem to think that adding more content (whether it actually adds to the site or merely clutters it up with fluff) is a good thing.  A well designed page is one where a user can get in, find what he wants, and get on with his day.  Not one where he has to search for every little thing he is looking for such as is often the case with flat designs.  Bottom line is the way they are currently implements, flat design pages are not intuitive at all.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1370 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:40 am »

actually, it was a reference to RB's self-admitted mild dyslexia.  he has stated in the past that he has particular preferences and needs when it comes to reading, that standard presentation doesn't always work for him, etc... so i was questioning how good a judge he might be when it comes to assessing layout for others.

analogy: if you can't taste sweet, you might not want to make a universal declaration that a given desert isn't tasty, at all.

I am sure that my dyslexia does play into it to some degree at least. 
FUKIT

walk,on,by

« Reply #1371 on: July 30, 2015, 09:53:33 am »

« Reply #1372 on: July 30, 2015, 10:06:20 am »
So are we going to need a webdev thread now (did I spell that right KS)
slack

« Reply #1373 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:46 am »
So are we going to need a webdev thread now (did I spell that right KS)
I would maintain "web dev" would be equally acceptable, albeit less common.
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #1374 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:04 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/us/montana-good-samaritans-shooting-death/index.html

if there is one thing, I know about other human beings, on the road . . . never, ever, stop to help them or pick them up. ever.  even if they are on fire, dying on the side of the medium, waving and begging for you to help.  never, ever.

« Reply #1375 on: July 31, 2015, 09:10:51 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/us/montana-good-samaritans-shooting-death/index.html

if there is one thing, I know about other human beings, on the road . . . never, ever, stop to help them or pick them up. ever.  even if they are on fire, dying on the side of the medium, waving and begging for you to help.  never, ever.
ugh...some people suck...but he did really have a good reason " because the daughter laughed at him"
it was Jesus!

I will say, this 24 hour round the world new cycle will always pick up the fringe idiots and a$$holes
news loves that stuff and people eat it up all day everyday

I can with confidence say that 99.9999% of the time if you help someone out...that you won't get brutally murdered. 
you could be that .0001% and that would suck, but you have a better chance winning the lottery

I'm a parent and my kids are free range, just like when I was a kid
in fact they say it's SAFER now then when I was young...but most parents today are totally freakers when it comes to this.  Can't let your kids walk down your own block alone to a friends house or ride the bike trail alone until your 18.  Just batsh!t people.   Worry about cars, guns and poison in your food, water and air.   Not terrorists, rapists(random) and abductions

certainty don't stop helping people in need because you're worried they are going to make you a human centipede
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:12:28 am by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

« Reply #1376 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:38 am »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1377 on: July 31, 2015, 10:31:20 am »

ugh...some people suck...but he did really have a good reason " because the daughter laughed at him"
it was Jesus!

I will say, this 24 hour round the world new cycle will always pick up the fringe idiots and a$$holes
news loves that stuff and people eat it up all day everyday

I can with confidence say that 99.9999% of the time if you help someone out...that you won't get brutally murdered. 
you could be that .0001% and that would suck, but you have a better chance winning the lottery

I'm a parent and my kids are free range, just like when I was a kid
in fact they say it's SAFER now then when I was young...but most parents today are totally freakers when it comes to this.  Can't let your kids walk down your own block alone to a friends house or ride the bike trail alone until your 18.  Just batsh!t people.   Worry about cars, guns and poison in your food, water and air.   Not terrorists, rapists(random) and abductions

There used to be a guy at my place of employment who stopped to help a broken down motorist on the Beltway, and the guy ended up being hit by a third car, putting him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

And as far as free range goes, call me sexist, but I'd probably be more open to it if I had boys and lived in the country like my brother and I did growing up. But we don't and we don't.

killsaly

« Reply #1378 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:08 am »
Free range parenting is one of the dumbest terms of this millennium. 

« Reply #1379 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41:28 am »

I was given a 24 pack of Mountain Dew. I do not drink Mountain Dew. I also am not technically a SysAdmin. I don't think my office is doing this correctly.
LVMH