Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1603051 times)

Space Freely

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #1410 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »
My parents had me walking ~0.5 miles to and from school every day in 2nd grade. I turned out fine. No one diddled me. When people ask me to show them on a doll where I was touched, I tell them nowhere, because I wasn't.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/state/police-serve-search-warrant-in-investigation-of-1975-slayings-of-lyon-sisters

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1411 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:23 pm »
My parents had me walking ~0.5 miles to and from school every day in 2nd grade. I turned out fine. No one diddled me. When people ask me to show them on a doll where I was touched, I tell them nowhere, because I wasn't.
I was definitely riding my bike around the neighborhood at the same age. Kids need to be able to go out and find out what's wrong and what is right. You can tell a kid a million times to be careful but that kid won't be careful until it finally falls down and scrapes its knee and learns for his or herself.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1412 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:26 pm »

http://www.abc2news.com/news/state/police-serve-search-warrant-in-investigation-of-1975-slayings-of-lyon-sisters
10 people a year drown to death in a bucket. Do you not let your kid have water unchaperoned?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1413 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:07 pm »
It's funny that a majority of people commenting here this afternoon on "what kids need" are neither kids nor parents.

« Reply #1414 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:11 pm »
It's funny that a majority of people commenting here this afternoon on "what kids need" are neither kids nor parents.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

(2) Everyone commenting on the matter was at one time a kid and therefore probably have some thoughts on what did and did not work for them as a child.
LVMH

« Reply #1415 on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:01 pm »
I mean, while watching a baseball game on TV, do you go, "well, isn't it circumspect that none of these announcers are active MLB players? How funny they would feel qualified to comment on baseball!"
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1416 on: July 31, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

(2) Everyone commenting on the matter was at one time a kid and therefore probably have some thoughts on what did and did not work for them as a child.

I think that's true for any adult who has yet to have kids. And then some of those thoughts change AGAIN when you actually become a parent, and look at it from the eyes of the adult responsible for the wellbeing of the child, rather than through the eyes of the child.

Space Freely

« Reply #1417 on: July 31, 2015, 04:49:55 pm »
I mean, while watching a baseball game on TV, do you go, "well, isn't it circumspect that none of these announcers are active MLB players? How funny they would feel qualified to comment on baseball!"

Just as I laugh at people when they compare taking care of their pets to childraising, I scratch my head at comparing something as relatively simple as baseball to something as complex as parenthood.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1418 on: July 31, 2015, 04:50:08 pm »
Statistically, kids are vastly safer now than they were in the 70s. What's changed is TV news, which demands that you to be scared out of your mind 24/7/365.
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #1419 on: July 31, 2015, 05:03:52 pm »
Statistically, kids are vastly safer now than they were in the 70s. What's changed is TV news, which demands that you to be scared out of your mind 24/7/365.

Which goes to show that parents are doing a better job supervising their kids today than they were in the 70's.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #1420 on: July 31, 2015, 06:22:21 pm »

Which goes to show that parents are doing a better job supervising their kids today than they were in the 70's.

A lot of it, perhaps most of it, is because of increased safety regs and, however much the Nancy Grace Nation would insist otherwise, lower crime rates.
😐 🎶

« Reply #1421 on: August 01, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »

I call bullshi+ on that

I don't have any stats to back this up, but chicken bones, parents prescriptions, guns in the home, buckets of water, peanuts and bee-stings are much more likely ....but a large degree

Your...and I mean you SF, paranoia about sexual predators is unfounded in statistical reality
I would certainly keep an eye on your relatives more than random people showing up at a park
they are far more likely to sexually assault your kids...probably 50 times more likely

you are worse than nancy grace with all your anecdotal links on some random child abduction
the stats are not with you...just the non-stop news and nancy grace

trust me, the thought of my child being abducted or molested is heinous
but so is getting leukemia or getting hit by a drunk driver

if you are so worried about the .001% of the times something might happen....you really are missing out on living life
best protection you can give your kids is to have self confidence and be exposed to the reality that is outside the front door of the home

and they will not get that if you hover over them and don't let them make decisions

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:45:19 pm by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1422 on: August 01, 2015, 04:27:06 pm »
Have any of you checked out Windows 10 yet?  What do you think?  As far as speed it seems really great but the look and feel is pretty damn nasty.  They took away the ability to set the theme (I think that is the term du jour) to anything but fluffy and glitzy with terrible color choices.  The default task bar color is black with (get his) black text and there really is no way to change that without making the entire UI look very harsh and unappealing.  The main thing I do not like is the way they modified the start menu.  There is no way to pin an app to the actual start menu itself other than to add those horrible bulky tiles.  Then the 'all apps' section is sorted and differently and grouped by first letter.  The simple clean list of apps and folders was MUCH easier to use.  They really screwed up the entire start menu.  A big miss.

The UI of Windows 10 kind of looks like a bad Mac clone.  Not that this in and of itself is a bad thing, it just gives me that impression.  They did of course give the entire UI an entirely flat look and feel.  Which makes everything blend and run together.  The title bar (I am not sure if that is the correct term) where the min/max, restore, and close buttons are had been redesigned and is (IMHO) much worse.  First it takes up about three times the amount of space it did before.  Then the close button is this terrible glaring burnt orange color.

If you are into bells and whistles you will love Windows 10.  LOTS of those.  I personally find most of them totally useless.  Be aware, one of the things that is in the user agreement of Windows 10 is that you agree that MS can copy and save every document, image, media file, browsing history, web search, and location that you search form and do with it whatever they want at any time.  You can turn most of that off but it is very cumbersome and you cannot (afaik) disable it completely.

Windows 10 is basically Windows 8.2+.  It you loved Win8 you will adore Win10.  If not, stay with your old OS.
FUKIT

« Reply #1423 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:35 pm »
We discuss win10 over in the Smackie thread. What was your thoughts on Edge?

I personally am waiting to take my two win 8.1 computers over to 10 until I've heard a few more stories about how it is and possibly until SP1.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:35:10 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1424 on: August 01, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »
Don't like Edge at all.  It is chrome lite and I despise chrome.  I hate not having the menu at the top where it belongs.  I want to be able to click a menu item to get to my bookmarks, etc.  It is really hard to navigate to any web site without manually entering the URL in the address bar.  The "add a note to this page" feature is useless gee whiz fluff.  I opened up Edge and used it for about 3 minutes before closing it and moving back to FireFox.  The entire setup of all of Win10 has VERY little user configuration options at all.  Almost everything of real use is locked by MS to the way they think it best looks and works.  This has historically been the one thing I really do not like about MS products.
FUKIT