Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602931 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #1695 on: September 10, 2015, 11:00:55 am »
isn't this a sports thread kinda thing   ;D
slack

betao

« Reply #1696 on: September 10, 2015, 11:44:17 am »
Random question for the random thread:

I've got 3 tickets for Reverend Horton Heat/The Adicts at The Howard Theatre on Monday. I'm unable to go and need to sell them. I've tried them on CL to no luck, and can't make it to the venue to sell the day of. Any other options (DC music forums, ticket exchanges, etc) I should look into?

So $29 each, not sold out, an upcoming slot at ShinDig and he plays in the area at least once a year
recipe for a tough sell

FYI..didn't see a CL ad?

I do love the Rev and haven't seen him since those raucous shows at the 930 in the 90's
but Mon is going to be a tough sell for me

Craigslist ad is up again now. The previous listing expired a couple of days ago.

I know it's a tough sell, and I'm cool with losing some money. Let me know if you want them or know of someone who does.

The Rev was pretty awesome when they played with X a few years ago.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1697 on: September 10, 2015, 01:14:00 pm »
I don't think it makes someone "dumb" it means they don't know how to dress like an adult. (Exemption if they are actually attending/heading to a sporting event.)

My "people wearing jerseys pet peeve" is people who buy jerseys of someone younger than themselves.
The "younger people jersey" thing kind of goes out the window when you reach a certain age though. I refused to buy a Bryce Harper jersey until I realized that just about everyone on the team is also younger than me or the same age. Maybe I'll be more against buying a "rookie sensation" jersey. Getting old.
I'll give you that the Nats are a tough case since their franchise hasn't been around that long so there isn't a throwback of an older player from when you were a kid to get.
I have an Adam Oates sweater, but I'm getting a Nicklas Backstrom sweater next and I'll justify that by saying he has more kids than me. Since I think I'm about 3 months older than him lol.
‼‼?‼‼

Space Freely

« Reply #1698 on: September 10, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »
I don't think it makes someone "dumb" it means they don't know how to dress like an adult. (Exemption if they are actually attending/heading to a sporting event.)

My "people wearing jerseys pet peeve" is people who buy jerseys of someone younger than themselves.
The "younger people jersey" thing kind of goes out the window when you reach a certain age though. I refused to buy a Bryce Harper jersey until I realized that just about everyone on the team is also younger than me or the same age. Maybe I'll be more against buying a "rookie sensation" jersey. Getting old.
I'll give you that the Nats are a tough case since their franchise hasn't been around that long so there isn't a throwback of an older player from when you were a kid to get.

Frank Robinson seems like a good choice for a white, liberal middle-aged Nats fan.

ggw

« Reply #1699 on: September 10, 2015, 01:57:12 pm »

Moises Alou

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1700 on: September 10, 2015, 02:01:22 pm »
You 'statistics' are invalid.  Summing averages is a meaningless measure. The more meaningful numbers would be this...

Thread                     Total Posts                Age In Years           Avg Posts Per Year
Nats Thread                854                                9                               95
Fantasy Football          863                                8                              108
NFL                            231                                 9                              26
Survivor Pool              179                                 2                              90
Orioles                        799                                2                              400

Sports Total              2926                               30                               98

Thread                     Total Posts                Age In Years           Avg Posts Per Year
JA                              36060                             12                             3005
Low ticket                     188                               4                              47
JA Commentary           3805                               4                              951
Rollcall                        7586                               7                              1084
Post Show Banter        1590                               3                              530
Golden Years                283                                1                              283
Musicological                1312                               3                             437
JA NYC                         746                                3                             249
Showlist                       297                                3                              99
2015 Albums                203                                1                              203

Music Total                52070                             41                              1270

What? That's laughably terrible statistical analysis. You can't sum Thread Age in Years for sports and music and divide the total by that. You seriously are positing that we post only 98 posts about sports per year?

It is 100% valid.  You are looking at the average number of posts per year in the threads of the given type.  This is EXACTLY the number that is important.  The number you posted which is a sum of the averages means absolutely nothing and has no comparative value at all.  This is even more obvious when you note that one group has a larger sample size.  You obviously have no concept of statistics what so ever.  No need to discuss this any further.
FUKIT

vansmack

« Reply #1701 on: September 10, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »

Moises Alou

I have a Vlad Guerrero Expos jersey that I stopped wearing because Canadians kept coming up to me and asking me if I was from Canada....
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1702 on: September 10, 2015, 02:05:34 pm »
Let me give you a simpler example to show why your method is inane. Let's say there are two threads that are each two years old, and one has 800 posts and the other 2. By my methodology, I would compute that those two threads are averaging as a group 401 posts per year. By your methodology, you'd say it's 200.5.

I'm not saying my methodology is perfect (for one thing, it's limited only to threads in the top two pages, it presumes all posts in a thread are on-topic, and it estimates years as integers) but yours is literally insane. You cannot count up a total number of posts and divide by the combined thread ages of all those threads, namely since the time of many overlaps. You can't divide 52070 by 41 years and think that number is at all relevant. The board is only 12 years old!

The total post divided by the total years is the only valid measure.
FUKIT

ggw

« Reply #1703 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:13 pm »

Moises Alou

I have a Vlad Guerrero Expos jersey that I stopped wearing because Canadians kept coming up to me and asking me if I was from Canada....

Those Canadians are sooooo provincial...

Space Freely

« Reply #1704 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »
Let me give you a simpler example to show why your method is inane. Let's say there are two threads that are each two years old, and one has 800 posts and the other 2. By my methodology, I would compute that those two threads are averaging as a group 401 posts per year. By your methodology, you'd say it's 200.5.

I'm not saying my methodology is perfect (for one thing, it's limited only to threads in the top two pages, it presumes all posts in a thread are on-topic, and it estimates years as integers) but yours is literally insane. You cannot count up a total number of posts and divide by the combined thread ages of all those threads, namely since the time of many overlaps. You can't divide 52070 by 41 years and think that number is at all relevant. The board is only 12 years old!

The total post divided by the total years is the only valid measure.

Only if the components of what you're adding are from mutually exclusive years.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1705 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:24 pm »
Ratbastard, by your analysis, there should be 490 (98 posts per thread average x the 5 threads) in sports threads in all of 2015. 3/4ths of the way thru, by my quick count (seeing at what page the threads clicked over to 2015 posts, then counting number of pages to the end and multiplying by the number of posts the software puts per page, 15 by my settings) there have actually been 715 posts so far. I wouldn't exactly say your methodology is doing a very good job of estimating the 2015 post counts, or current traffic, in sports vs music threads which was what Sidehatch was asking about.

Its almost like, I don't know, your model doesn't normalize time as a variable to take into account that there might be a different number of active posters during different years on the board or something. *shrug*
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:44:58 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #1706 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
back to random, randomness.  I can,t decide any,thing, any,more.  I,m going for frozen yogurt, next door to my office.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1707 on: September 10, 2015, 02:52:09 pm »
back to random, randomness.  I can,t decide any,thing, any,more.  I,m going for frozen yogurt, next door to my office.

Don't hit any bikers while you're out.

Space Freely

« Reply #1708 on: September 10, 2015, 02:55:11 pm »

If you eat two frozen yogurts and three ice creams in a year, would you say you eat

a. 5/1=5 frozen treats per year
b. 5/2=2.5 frozen treats per year

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1709 on: September 10, 2015, 03:22:27 pm »
today feels like Wednesday
‼‼?‼‼