Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1601926 times)

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #2145 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:38 am »
and sidehatch the ground beef argument.. man you must have missed my point...

nah..I got it, it's just has such a good ring to it and I thought I'd beat you to the punch

you're way better off making 80K and living in Texas, Florida

Um...then you have to live with Texans or Floridians...and honestly I'd rather be poor and live in the DMV.   Left NC out...on the whole they are pretty cool (well research triangle area...don't know the rural areas that well)

the ground beef argument was more about food inflation seemingly being lost in inflation numbers that keep telling us there is barely any inflation

Also...just so you know you are not crazy.  You aren't the only one noticing this trend

but there are a lot of other items in the grocery store that have gone down in that time frame too.
Our grocery bill has gone up, but we stay away from the center isles and that's were the big savings have been...but also where the least nutritionally dense foods are located too. 

but I must confess I got the sense from our conversation that you don't do the grocery shopping in your family
yep...I do a lot of the cooking, but mostly am in charge of getting the beer/wine from the grocery store
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:33:17 am by Sidehatch 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2146 on: December 14, 2015, 10:34:39 am »
but there are a lot of other items in the grocery store that have gone down in that time frame too.
For example?
LVMH

« Reply #2147 on: December 14, 2015, 10:37:41 am »
the average heterosexual couple/family in America makes like 45,000 and the average homosexual was low 6 figures.

DINKs

kids are expensive and typically one person has to exit the workforce a few times and greatly diminishes their future earning potential.  Also probably don't take big risks on job opportunities as they would rather have the security of a stead income

slack

Relaxer

« Reply #2148 on: December 14, 2015, 10:43:15 am »
the average heterosexual couple/family in America makes like 45,000 and the average homosexual was low 6 figures.

DINKs

kids are expensive and typically one person has to exit the workforce a few times and greatly diminishes their future earning potential.  Also probably don't take big risks on job opportunities as they would rather have the security of a stead income

I remember the first time I heard the DINK thing. I was having dinner at the house of my boss and his partner and I could not believe how luxurious and richly appointed their Dupont Circle house was. How did you afford this, I asked. "DINKS!" they sang.

In our Cap Hill/Lincoln Park neighborhood, I'd say more of 'family' friends are husband-works-wife-home dynamics. This made sense when the kids were young, but now most of our kids are in school and I've noticed a marked increase in dad grumbling over "Yeah, I guess the hours between 9 and 3 are 'free time' for some people."
oword

« Reply #2149 on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:49 am »
For example?

I'm not an economist, I just play one on the internet

But did find this site that claims avg price went down from 2012 to 2015
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/pricebasket.html
this does include Gas ...which has gone historically low

but the trend since 2008 things have gone up 50%
you can get Frozen Pizza, Bag of Sugar, Bag of flour, green grapes and chicken soup for less than you could in 2008

Also...Wrangler jeans are still a pretty good value :)

inflation is at insane lows...but grocery bill's up 50%, housing up that much too, heath care rising at least that much and wages stagnant

not really sure how they come up with their numbers

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #2150 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:17 am »
better off making 80K and living in Texas, Florida

Um...then you have to live with Texans or Floridians...and honestly I'd rather be poor and live in the DMV  Left NC out...on the whole they are pretty cool (well research triangle area...don't know the rural areas that well)

Wow, that's a pretty bigoted statement!

« Reply #2151 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:05 am »
I've noticed a marked increase in dad grumbling over "Yeah, I guess the hours between 9 and 3 are 'free time' for some people."
you can add me to that chorus
slack

« Reply #2152 on: December 14, 2015, 10:51:08 am »

Um...then you have to live with Texans or Floridians...and honestly I'd rather be poor and live in the DMV  Left NC out...on the whole they are pretty cool (well research triangle area...don't know the rural areas that well)

totally 100% is
but really give me a break...don't take your self so seriously

actually If I remember correctly...you are a flordian...so I think I stand with my statement.

*full disclosure...close to half of my immediate family live in Florida
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #2153 on: December 14, 2015, 10:57:02 am »

totally 100% is
but really give me a break...don't take your self so seriously

actually If I remember correctly...you are a flordian...so I think I stand with my statement.

*full disclosure...close to half of my immediate family live in Florida

Yes, I'm just giving you shit.  ;) I spent my first five years in Florida, and one year as an adult in North Carolina. I've actually spent the most years in New York State, though Virginia at some point will overtake NY.

I'd put Colorado, Oregon, and Washington on my short list of places I'd move to in a heartbeat. No Florida or Texas for me, either (though of those two I'd choose Florida by a mile).

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2154 on: December 14, 2015, 11:00:38 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #2155 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:32 am »
x

Space Freely

« Reply #2156 on: December 14, 2015, 11:02:52 am »

DINKs

I remember the first time I heard the DINK thing. I was having dinner at the house of my boss and his partner and I could not believe how luxurious and richly appointed their Dupont Circle house was. How did you afford this, I asked. "DINKS!" they sang.

In our Cap Hill/Lincoln Park neighborhood, I'd say more of 'family' friends are husband-works-wife-home dynamics. This made sense when the kids were young, but now most of our kids are in school and I've noticed a marked increase in dad grumbling over "Yeah, I guess the hours between 9 and 3 are 'free time' for some people."

This surprises me as I think the national percentage of families where the mom and dad both work, even though there are kids under 18, is somewhere above 70%. I would think it would be even higher in your hood given the price tag of houses in your neighborhood.

In fact, I have friends in your neighborhood. Two couples, both with kids under five (one of them with two kids under five), and all four of the adults both work full time.

Relaxer

« Reply #2157 on: December 14, 2015, 11:11:41 am »

DINKs

This surprises me as I think the national percentage of families where the mom and dad both work, even though there are kids under 18, is somewhere above 70%. I would think it would be even higher in your hood given the price tag of houses in your neighborhood.

In fact, I have friends in your neighborhood. Two couples, both with kids under five (one of them with two kids under five), and all four of the adults both work full time.

Yeah it varies. Part of it, I think, is because my wife doesn't work full time so she's linked up with other women who are around during the day.

Is, by chance, one of your Hill friend families Bill & Amy? They seem like they'd have weirdo friends like you.
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #2158 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:11 am »

DINKs

Yeah it varies. Part of it, I think, is because my wife doesn't work full time so she's linked up with other women who are around during the day.

Is, by chance, one of your Hill friend families Bill & Amy? They seem like they'd have weirdo friends like you.

This is exactly my story. Well, it was. My wife worked part time for six years, and then went back to work full time in an office. When she was home, she got to know a handful of SAHM in the neighborhood, and for awhile would complain that she wished she had never gone back to work, "look at all these other SAHM, why do I have to work? blah blah blah", as if that was somehow the norm in 2015. When in fact, it's not.

Anyway, don't know Bill and Amy, but I'm happy to meet them if you think we'd get along.  ;D

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2159 on: December 14, 2015, 11:23:49 am »
This Sidehatch/Rhett dinner party blather conversation seems awfully cordial by our standards. Its a Monday, can't someone call someone else a son of a bitch and get things started? Geez.
LVMH