Author Topic: d.c. record fair  (Read 12857 times)

dyecraig

Re: d.c. record fair
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 08:48:11 pm »
outstanding set by kosmo - always great to hear the jam's "beat surrender" pumping from a big system.
fueled by zeke's coffee. ..whoa...probably will not sleep tonight.
picked up:
ranking joe - saturday night jamdown style
david byrne & st. vincent - love this giant
sparklehorse - good morning spider
300 piece 2 sided ziggy stardust cover jigsaw puzzle. had to have that.
coolest find was a bunch of 12x12 flats of classic bowie album covers and poster for the 5 years box.
my head kind of exploded, because they were free.

hutch

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 09:04:17 pm »
I was ticked off I had to miss it.. I demand pictures in order to feel included...

hutch

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 09:05:24 pm »
Despite a couple technical glitches, the DJ set was fun to do at the show today.  Got to say hi to Dyecraig and did a little digging through the crates.  Picked up a Alex Clinton EP, Syl Johnson album and some Stax, Motown and Windan 7"s.

also, i must have been something right, someone wanted to buy one of the singles I played...

pictures please of your scores.. thank you in advance..you can even just take one picture but unless I see a picture its no fun!

Unsanity

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 09:31:50 pm »
My buddy was a seller there and said it was pretty packed. The line went around the block. I knew some friends who tried to go but the line tuned them off so they went to record stores instead.

dyecraig

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »

don't cry hutch, i snagged you an extra hunky dory & man who sold the world flat for next time i see you.
it was hella crowded and those youngsters just don't know how to flip through crates like the pros...
"hmmm...this looks cool...now let me look on the back to see if i know any of these songs...you'd think 'band on the run' would be on this beatles best of thingy (the red one)...nahh....ooh ''sam cooke at the copa'....is he any good?"
don't get me wrong, i do enjoy these events, but thank god it's only twice a year.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 10:25:14 pm »
yeah it was a little overwhelming people wise... one set were looking at the first U2 album saying they didn't recognize any of the songs on it was a bit humorous to me, that and one of the DJs showing off the copy of Jeff Beck 's Wired  they had just purchased an album i remember buying in high school..
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 10:29:01 pm »

don't cry hutch, i snagged you an extra hunky dory & man who sold the world flat for next time i see you.
it was hella crowded and those youngsters just don't know how to flip through crates like the pros...
"hmmm...this looks cool...now let me look on the back to see if i know any of these songs...you'd think 'band on the run' would be on this beatles best of thingy (the red one)...nahh....ooh ''sam cooke at the copa'....is he any good?"
don't get me wrong, i do enjoy these events, but thank god it's only twice a year.

oh.. that does look nice!

that is so true about the kiddies.. good lord.. it takes them an hour to go through a crate as they giggle over the men at work and lionel Ritchie records....and discuss with the sellers about whether they take credit cards....urghhh

hutch

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 04:11:10 pm »
Gosh that was the smallest dc record fair I have been to in the ten (+?)years it’s been going on....was the arbutus show today too?

On the other hand I spent only $27

Pickups:

RAS Michael - Zion Train (I guess with HR putting it together...says “re-recorded” at cue studios in falls church (5 minutes from me next to cd cellar)...it’s on SST...I just know it’s going to suck

Big youth -some great big youth comp from 1981

Jimmy smith- chicken shack (another copy)

Desmond Williams on ESL

Dennis Brown - spellbound

Astor Piazzolla lp of 1947 stuff from a reissue in 1990

dyecraig

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »
yeah arbutus was today and u st. was pretty small and not crowded.
not complaining at all.
was not as dark down there as i was expecting, like the black cat fair years ago.
i did the early bird as i was up anyway.
a fun hang and good to see some record buds.
a few jerks too and witnessed some manhandling of sleeves - flip gently from the center, yo.
no spilled drink tragedies while i was there.
saw a lot of cool and beyond my allowance stuff, but:
pedro gayle - bermuda rock
miles - birth of the cool, enhanced stereo, may suck
bowie - china girl 12"
taj mahal - sounder ost
paul simon - there goes rhymin' simon
keene plywood painting of lee morgan - the sidewinder was my favorite find for $5.
henry's soul cafe is excellent.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
I miss this every year. Not happy about it.

dyecraig

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
I miss this every year. Not happy about it.
ya know, there are so many other little and cooler ones at breweries and other places in the dmv, you're not really missing anything.