Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 904720 times)

walk,on,by

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2015, 01:06:32 pm »
fas,cinating.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2015, 02:17:24 pm »
Typically genius Julian.
Julian, purported typically GENIUS
LVMH

« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2015, 05:36:50 pm »
I don't hate muslims at all... there is nothing hateful about saying that maybe we should consider slowing down the number of muslims we let into America because, you know, they seem to have some sort of problem with us so lets cool it a bit....

there is something quite hateful about saying that.  you can't discriminate against the 99.999% because there is an evil 0.001%.  
couldn't agree more
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »
I don't hate muslims at all... there is nothing hateful about saying that maybe we should consider slowing down the number of muslims we let into America because, you know, they seem to have some sort of problem with us so lets cool it a bit....

there is something quite hateful about saying that.  you can't discriminate against the 99.999% because there is an evil 0.001%.  
couldn't agree more

Do you get a quick rush from the feeling of moral superiority that making that post gives you?

hutch

« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2015, 06:37:54 pm »
nonsense.. our government discriminates against people all the time... or why do you think people from certain countries will now be scrutinized while people from others are not? you can say its not because of religion but there is a very very strong correlation..

what we can't do is discriminate against US citizens (the US constitution is pretty clear but it does not apply to Syrian nationals, etc.).. BTW what do you think happens when our drones drop bombs in Yemen, Pakistan or Syria?? Do you really think nobody around the targets dies??

there is a very naïve understanding by some people on this thread of how things work in the world...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/08/visa-waiver-program-house-senate-europe/76978544/

personally I disagree with what Trump said not because I disagree entirely with what he said but because its just one of those things you don't say... its kind of like torture.. do I think the US government should never use torture? no.. but they should say they never use torture. in the same way our government should never admit it discriminates against foreign nationals based on their religion, country of origin,  etc.. but it will discriminate as it always has done... that is what granting visas/work permits/nationality is: one big discrimination

and I welcome a discussion about it within the context of trying to increase security in the US and lessen terrorist threats.....unfortunately the childish tone of liberals screaming comparisons between Hitler and Trump only serves to derail what could be a productive discussion.. Trump is Hitler now? Really? come on now.

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2015, 06:46:22 pm »

couldn't agree more

Do you get a quick rush from the feeling of moral superiority that making that post gives you?

no I don't...but creating policies that punish people who are running away from persecution I can't agree with.
I'd much rather deal with the gun issue than ban Muslims from entering
slack

hutch

« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2015, 06:46:58 pm »
and before what I wrote about torture gets taken out of context.. of course I do not like or wish for the USA to torture anybody.. but I cannot limit the government from utilizing it in every possible imaginable case.. I can't predict if there could be a case in the future where torture was necessary..

but the government should say "we don't torture, end of story" just like it should say "we don't discriminate on the basis of religion in awarding visas/work permits/citizenship" etc..

and it should try, as much as possible, to carry its business in accordance with those statements.. but if you have Saudi nationals coming to this country to kill us.. well, you might have to put a stop to that.. and some people who have no intention of harming us will be adversely affected too.. that is unfortunate..

hutch

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2015, 06:49:58 pm »
As diplomatically as you framed that, Hutch, stating religion should be a credulity test to enter the United States of America is appalling.
Well I don't think I exactly stated that Julian.

First of all, this is a discussion..there is nothing wrong with having it.

It doesn't have to be religion.. it can simply be most people from certain places who will of course happen to be of a certain religion...

This type of thing goes on all the time...

hutch

« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:27 pm »
I guess my view is that what Trump said is rather boneheaded but there is an element of wisdom in it.. if you have a people from a certain group of people trying to harm you, well, you might have to take a look at placing limits on those people and that may have an adverse impact on the group of people as a whole... that is "discrimination" but the job of our government is to protect Americans not the "phantom rights" of non-Americans not to be discriminated against.... if you think how hard it is to migrate to this country I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about this routine type of discrimination...

Space Freely

« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »

couldn't agree more

no I don't...but creating policies that punish people who are running away from persecution I can't agree with.

I don't think you'd get an argument from me regarding that. But prioritizing American safety by erring on the side of caution is hardly "hateful".

Hateful is the 76% of Muslims in South Asia who are in favor of apostasy.

hutch

« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2015, 06:55:04 pm »

couldn't agree more

was that Saudi woman that killed 14 people running away from persecution?

(question is rhetorical but in case you don't know she was not running away from persecution)

hutch

« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »
I guess what Sidehatch is arguing is that we must let in the woman from Saudi cause we don't know if she is running away from persecution or not so she could be?

Preposterous.... you could make the case that anybody fleeing Saudi was running away from persecution so with that nonsense reasoning we must let in any Saudi...

Space Freely

« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
I guess what Sidehatch is arguing is that we must let in the woman from Saudi cause we don't know if she is running away from persecution or not so she could be?

Preposterous.... you could make the case that anybody fleeing Saudi was running away from persecution so with that nonsense reasoning we must let in any Saudi...

There's one Saudi I'd let in for sure...Raif Badawi.

killsaly

« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2015, 07:25:09 pm »
nobody cares

Space Freely

« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2015, 07:34:38 pm »
nobody cares

I suppose more people care about what music you're currently listening to, but if you're referring to my post, 92,500 people care.

http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1770&ea.campaign.id=32768