Author Topic: Podcast recommendations  (Read 32978 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Podcast recommendations
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:41:00 pm »
aren't there any fat-hate podcasts out there?  have none of the sanctimonious jerks that make up that group evolved to the point of figuring out how to use a computer and a microphone?  or is podcasting too personal and too identifiable, and fat-haters generally can't make it past firing anonymous missives from behind the security of a keyboard?
It's perfectly reasonable to hate fat advocates. For me, it's how they spread misinformation like mayonnaise on their food. Is it seriously that hard to admit that you are eating too much and can lose the weight if you legitimately try? They will say that "____ condishun" is what causes their weight gain and it couldn't possibly be the 18 litres of mountain dew they drink daily, and of course the laws of thermodynamics clearly do not apply to them so they can't lose it. They go on about how much they hate being fat but, God forbid you explain how to lose weight, then they talk about how they go to the gym 18 hours a week and eat only 500 calories per day and still can't lose weight or just outright start name calling like 5th grader. Naturally anything that shatters their permanent victim status is vilified and "triggering". They go around spreading buttery lies to such a degree that it sabotages many hams from seeing the light and becoming healthy human beings. I hate the ham delusion.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »
Mystery Show is a must, so well done.

I like Dinner Party Download, it can be hit or miss but it's worth checking out.
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:17 pm »
Humor:
the Cracked Podcast
Unpopular Opinion (also by a Cracked columnist)
SModcast
Wrestling With Depression (standup comic talks to people about mental issues, usually lighthearted but can get heavy)

Music:
- Height Zone World (Height interviews mainly Baltimore musicians; some that have wide appeal like Future Islands or Jenn from Wye Oak or Dan Deacon)
- This is How We Do It (new Pitchfork podcast that goes behind the scenes for how albums are made)

Also just added the Bret Easton Ellis podcast to listen to later, due to being interested in the new Eli Roth interview, but I have no idea if I will like it or not. 

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:26 pm »
I like Dinner Party Download, it can be hit or miss but it's worth checking out.
I found this through a google search earlier and enjoyed this week's episode. I think this is what I'm going to go with.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 02:52:31 pm »
Switched on Pop and Song Exploder both deconstruct songs and interview the artists.  Interesting to see "behind the curtain" on music...

killsaly

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 05:42:30 pm »
Switched on Pop and Song Exploder both deconstruct songs and interview the artists.  Interesting to see "behind the curtain" on music...
I will have to check those out.  The This is How We Do It podcast that I mention is a similar idea.  The first two episodes were Protomartyr (semi-serious look at their songwriting process) and Wolf Eyes (they basically told the interviewer to fuck off with boring questions and talked Trip Metal for a while).  I know it is Pitchfork, and some around here consider them evil, but they are a necessary evil (that is how someone I respect who runs two local labels, and is in a noise punk band, described them when I gave him shit for reposting their content).

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 06:48:39 pm »
Risk! is sort of like The Moth, but R-rated.
These appear to basically be people telling stories, yes? Why am I supposed to care?

I'm not trying to be funny, I don't get it.

Love + Radio.  I don't care if you think you don't like stories.

walk,on,by

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:11 pm »
The Real Housewives of where the f*** ever, podcasts. End of this damn thread.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 08:55:26 pm »

Whoa there walky.  We got you covered too.  Dan Savage, if thats your thing.

walk,on,by

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:19 pm »
Anybody listen to Adam carollas podcast?  I think he's funny as all hell. 

walk,on,by

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 10:29:18 pm »

you know . . . dan savage knows a lot of stuff . . . but he is, an arrogant fag.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 11:52:03 pm »
Tom Leykis
Steve Czaban
Bill Burr
Marketplace

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:00 am »

you know . . . dan savage knows a lot of stuff . . . but he is, an arrogant fag.

Correct.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:43 am »
Steve Czaban
Is there a volume lower than mute?
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 12:22:31 pm »
Steve Czaban
Is there a volume lower than mute?

I think at that point, you'll need to stop messing with the source, and focus on the listener.  I mean, I suppose you could try to work with some EM shielding or something to prevent signal leakage.  But really you're going to want to start thinking about noise cancelling headphones, acoustic shielding or inducing deafness as effective strategies.  LMK if you need any help with that.