Author Topic: Record Store Day - April 16, 2016  (Read 20101 times)

killsaly

Re: Record Store Day - April 16, 2016
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
Low and S Carey - Not a Word

https://www.subpop.com/news/2016/03/07/heres_what_sub_pop_is_doing_to_record_store_day_2016
This 10? single on special translucent white vinyl features two 7-minute collaborations between Duluth group Low and Wisconsin?s S. Carey, aka Sean Carey, best known as the drummer and supporting vocalist for Bon Iver. The idea for this release came from producer BJ Burton. ?Not a Word? was an unfinished Low track that BJ worked with S. Carey to complete, while ?I Won?t Let You Fall? was an unfinished S. Carey song that BJ worked with Low to complete. This unique partnership between Low, S. Carey and BJ Burton (and Sub Pop and Jagjaguwar) is exclusive to Record Store Day 2016, and it is limited to 4,000 copies worldwide.
OK, this is more my speed.  The first track is beautiful, full of different movements. The last two minutes are epic Low.  The second track is a also a bit of a slow-burner, but I do not feel like the crescendo matches the intensity of the first song (BUT, track 2 is more haunting).... So both great!  I definitely recommend Low fans track it down

killsaly

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 07:23:32 pm »
Wake Up You! The Rise and Fall of Nigerian Rock, Vol. 1 (1972-1977)

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1048-record-store-day-2016s-best-and-weirdest-bets/
1. Various Artists, Wake Up You V.1 : The Rise And Fall Of Nigerian Rock Music, 1972-1977
This 2xLP compilation of scene that catapulted Fela Kuti to global renown looks to be the type of carefully packaged set that will be well worth checking for at your local store. Nigerian-born writer Uchenna Ikonne, who helped make William Onyeabor's 2013 album Who Is William Onyeabor? a reality, provides liner notes in a 104-page book that also includes previously unpublished photos.
I am only five songs deep, and love it!! Funky, cool, classic rock from Africa. 

I am going to look up a lot of these bands later and check out full albums.

bob72

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:53 am »
did anyone get one of the RSD mystery 7"? Apparently it's a Melvins/MC5 disc

PENIS

hutch

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:50 am »
Yada, did you get the Phish LP in case I see one at the store???

Yada

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:48 am »

yessir, i got it, thanks mang!

hutch

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:27 am »

yessir, i got it, thanks mang!

oh good... I saw one at a story yesterday but it was quite pricey and I wasn't sure if I should get it cause you might have it already.. glad you do.

killsaly

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 03:12:08 pm »
Green River - 1984 Demos

http://www.jackpotrecords.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JPR036_Cover_5x5-300x300.jpeg
Earliest known recordings of what was to become the Pacific Northwest 'Grunge' movement. Featuring Mark Arm & Steve Turner of Mudhoney, Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam. All Tracks Unreleased. Includes Concert Flyer, Sticker and Download.
I am digging this Demos release.  The tracks sound pretty good on my studio monitors, for being demos.  I am only half way finished, but cant imagine I wont like the second half. 

Imagine if Green River did not break up when they did... No Mother Love Bone (at least without half it's members), no Pearl Jam, and no Mudhoney...

killsaly

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 05:25:55 pm »
Various Artists - Doused In Mud, Soaked In Bleach

https://roboticempire.bandcamp.com/album/various-artists-doused-in-mud-soaked-in-bleach
Robotic Empire returns with their third NIRVANA tribute, "Doused In Mud, Soaked In Bleach", completing a trifecta of homages to the legendary band's studio albums.

The Hall of Famer's debut LP "Bleach" is covered in full, start to finish, by a diverse range of independent artists including BASEMENT, BEACH SLANG, BIG HUSH, CIRCA SURVIVE, DAUGHTERS, DEFEATER, THE FALL OF TROY, MEAN JEANS, ROB CROW'S GLOOMY PLACE, THE SADDEST LANDSCAPE, THIS WILL DESTROY YOU, THOU and YOUNG WIDOWS.

Appropriately reflecting NIRVANA's rawest studio album alongside a full-circle nod to Robotic Empire's roots, this is arguably the darkest, heaviest release in the tribute series. A tasteful re-envision of these classic songs sees all 13 "Bleach" tracks run through the bands' creative engines, putting an intense new perspective on these 25+ year old songs.

I enjoyed this one about the same as I did the other two comps in this series. Most of the covers are pretty straight up, with no surprises, but a couple like Big Hush's take of "Sifting", and Rob Crow's Gloomy Place version of "Swap Meet" do way different things with the songs.  I enjoyed every track but Mean Jeans "Scoff" was probably my least favorite.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:28:32 pm by killsaly »

bob72

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2016, 04:25:10 pm »
Green River - 1984 Demos

http://www.jackpotrecords.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JPR036_Cover_5x5-300x300.jpeg
Earliest known recordings of what was to become the Pacific Northwest 'Grunge' movement. Featuring Mark Arm & Steve Turner of Mudhoney, Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam. All Tracks Unreleased. Includes Concert Flyer, Sticker and Download.
I am digging this Demos release.  The tracks sound pretty good on my studio monitors, for being demos.  I am only half way finished, but cant imagine I wont like the second half. 

Imagine if Green River did not break up when they did... No Mother Love Bone (at least without half it's members), no Pearl Jam, and no Mudhoney...
so apparently Jackpot pressed 200 of these on pink vinyl, but didn't label it on the outside, so some people have been getting a pleasant surprise.

on a related note: I felt it my duty to call out this collector douchebag on discogs cause he was trying to sell a "sealed pink" version of this for $150, but obviously was lying about the pink, or it being sealed. Needless to say he never responded but his record has mysteriously disappeared from the market place. Just scooped up a copy for $50, so I guess that's reasonable.
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
discogs is great!

hutch

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2017, 02:55:05 pm »

Went to the Record store five minutes from my house earlier today and picked up the only item I wanted...supposedly limited to 1,000.. I knew that I'd probably be the only one that wanted it... :(

Gosh I really wish Bettie Serveert had more of a fanbase.. I just love them... they kind of lost me with Dust Bunnies for a while though...still Carol's voice is one of my favorites.. the other day I was listening to Attagirl..so good...

I wonder if that is Carol's daughter on the cover....I read Carol turned 55 yesterday.. hard to believe..

I saw them once at the 930.. that doofus piano playing dude Ben Folds opened and the minute he was done it seemed like a lot of people cleared out... I went with a friend who was a Ben Folds fan but I was there for Bettie...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:32:54 pm by hutch »

bearman🐻

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2017, 01:22:23 pm »
I picked up the Luna double Penthouse LP...and the Germs' "Lexicon Devil" 7". That was pretty much all I really wanted to have. Glad that I managed to get those. Most stuff was just stupid expensive.

dyecraig

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:01 pm »
thelonious monk  - les liaisons dangereuses
bill evans - the holversum concert
u-roy - dread in a babylon
bowie - bowpromo
bowie - no plan
mobius records
an enjoyable experience

Bagley