Author Topic: Favorite Prince song and album  (Read 31205 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Favorite Prince song and album
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »
i got to see Prince twice during the Musicology tour.  almost a decade later and i still haven't recovered: it's what turned me into a concert junkie.  i've been chasing that dragon ever since.  during that show he did an acoustic set which, IMHO, slayed.  watch a version here:
https://www.facebook.com/PrinceMuseum/videos/837368336369012/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwm6YHmlFU (same thing, might be slightly lower quality)

such an incredibly showman.
<sig>

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:19:09 pm by SideBurnedOut 🍺 |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🌈 »
slack

hutch

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2016, 04:02:21 pm »

also found this...
Purple Rain - David Gilmour & Tom Jones 1992

i watched about half of this and even as a big tom jones fan i was kind of scared and had to stop...

hutch

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:34 pm »
I have to say Gilmour may get my favorite guitar tone.. even better than Knopfler.. but both of them should put warning stickers on their newer albums "Warning: will put you into a coma!"

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2016, 04:53:07 pm »

also found this...
Purple Rain - David Gilmour & Tom Jones 1992

i watched about half of this and even as a big tom jones fan i was kind of scared and had to stop...
yeah...it was pretty cheezy
I liked Gilmour's part though
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2016, 01:04:25 am »
i was going to poop all over that jones/gilmour thing but thought i'd be outta place.  since i'm not alone in being unimpressed i'll pile on: i couldn't make it through the video either.  jones looks sooooo awkward.  like an uptight uncle forced to dance at a wedding.  the gilmour solo is forgettable.  sounds completely like a gilmour solo, because it sounds exactly like everything else he has ever done.  seemed phoned in to me.  i'm a huge fan of pink floyd and i love his style but it didn't fit this song.  i had high hopes for this one and gilmour let me down.
<sig>

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2016, 11:37:46 am »
hmm...I just thought it was an interesting artifact
but I agree with Sweets and hutch on this one
at least we're not talking about me doing yoga any more
slack

hutch

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2016, 01:46:13 pm »
now see that is a good choice..a  deep cut..

all these purple rain covers.... the only person that can do it right is dead. I'd rather blow my head off than hear Bruce singing it... good lord.

Yada

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2016, 01:50:54 pm »
now see that is a good choice..a  deep cut..

all these purple rain covers.... the only person that can do it right is dead. I'd rather blow my head off than hear Bruce singing it... good lord.

I have it on good authority that Ween is bringing back, "Housequake."

vansmack

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2016, 01:58:42 pm »
I too disliked both Gilmour and the Springsteen cover.

But I did like this one, which was doubly impressive IRL:

Nothing Compares 2 U - Prince Tribute by Chris Stapleton - Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_Wp4vVlB8
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2016, 03:23:05 pm »
Sirius/XM folks

I heard another channel advertise it, so I have mostly been rocking out to it for the last couple days in my car.
http://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/04/21/rip-prince-1958-2016-he-always-believed-that-our-time-in-this-life-is-limited-at-best/
We?re paying tribute to the unforgettable, undefinable Prince with a channel featuring music from his ground-breaking, iconic and innovative career that spanned over 30 years.

SiriusXM?s The Prince Tribute Channel will air on Ch. 50, featuring music from the vast body of artistry from Prince?s entire career, including his earliest recordings through his most recent release HITnRUN Phase One. The special channel will also feature music by artists that Prince was closely linked to, inspired by and collaborated with. (If you don?t have a current subscription, click here to find out how you can listen.)

shemptiness

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »
Kevin Smith on Prince.  30 minutes long but worth it if you have the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

walk,on,by

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:53 pm »
internet, is saying heavy hiv, now

shemptiness

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 04:49:47 pm »