Author Topic: Favorite Prince song and album  (Read 30950 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Favorite Prince song and album
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 12:22:53 pm »
you know what stinks . . . I want to listen to a prince album before I give some rambling post about how it a/effected me, but I don't have a cd player anywhere in my house and I mainly listened to them in my vehicle, and now I only listen to music via apps or satellite radio, via another app, and there are no prince albums for me to listen to via apps, so oh well.

the album was around the world in a day.  oh, how it grew up with me.

Tidal is the only app that has his discography at this point for streaming
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 12:27:49 pm »
I wonder if people ever think what a stand - at big personal cost- Prince took against streaming and why...

no, probably they just think "hey this is inconvenient to me....."

killsaly

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 12:51:27 pm »
Could you please elaborate on your statement?  Big personal cost? 

Prince died with $300,000,000.  I cant imagine the paltry sum he would have added to his fortune from streaming would have made that much of a difference. 

hutch

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 01:02:44 pm »
Could you please elaborate on your statement?  Big personal cost? 

Prince died with $300,000,000.  I cant imagine the paltry sum he would have added to his fortune from streaming would have made that much of a difference. 

more like the hit his reputation took over the past two decades due to him being widely considered an anachronistic kook cause he refused to "get with the times" and give away his music for free..

I don't think he took a stand so much because of what it meant to his pockets but because of what it meant for others... as you say, most artists make a pittance from streaming.. streaming means a lot of people feel no need to buy the actual music... people feel they don't need to buy the music so Prince dies and they don't have any and find it hard to access it.. he also was strongly against Youtube etc..

there is I think some sort of irony  to people wanting to listen to Prince's music because he dies and they are reminded how much they love him and yet they can't immediately gratify their need to listen to his music because he was against the platforms/mediums people wish to use to access the music by the musician they love.. Prince's fight against the record labels and the new music "sharing" platforms was a huge thing for Prince..Prince tried hard in his last two decades to find other platforms for getting his music out to the people: free new cd with newspapers, free new cd if you bought a concert ticket etc.. he was definitely searching for something..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »
you know what stinks . . . I want to listen to a prince album before I give some rambling post about how it a/effected me, but I don't have a cd player anywhere in my house and I mainly listened to them in my vehicle, and now I only listen to music via apps or satellite radio, via another app, and there are no prince albums for me to listen to via apps, so oh well.

the album was around the world in a day.  oh, how it grew up with me.

Do you have an optical drive on your home computer or a DVD or Blu-ray player? Any of those should play a CD.
😐 🎶

walk,on,by

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »
No, alas, i have this hp touch smart envy with no cd drive. Annoying.  But it does have a lite up keyboard.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 03:05:02 pm »
No, alas, i have this hp touch smart envy with no cd drive. Annoying.  But it does have a lite up keyboard.

You can buy a decent USB CD/DVD drive for less than $30.
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 06:50:15 pm »
more like the hit his reputation took over the past two decades due to him being widely considered an anachronistic kook cause he refused to "get with the times" and give away his music for free..
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2016/03/08/469627962/poor-lonely-computer-princes-misunderstood-relationship-with-the-internet

I wonder what is in the vault...

hutch

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 08:32:36 am »
Prince was just like me.. kept buying the same albums over and over again!

interesting he bought the new Santana..

talking book and hejira had to be among his favorites.. the chambers brothers he must of had...maybe they were gifts?

i can't even imagine hanging out at a record store and Prince walks in
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:34:23 am by hutch »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 09:08:57 am »
In case anyone wants to see purple rain this weekend, it's showing at the old Greenbelt theatre..

https://www.facebook.com/events/1550707951926621/?ti=cl
T.Rex

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

"They should put Prince on the $20 bill and call it $19.99... It's "The bill formerly known as a twenty." -
slack

walk,on,by

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 12:03:32 pm »
I, totally approve that  ^

Yada

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »
posting this in two threads... bad ass. Basically listened to 80's prince all weekend... what are some must listen Prince albums from mid 90's to present?

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdeanweengroup%2Fvideos%2F1021041554644047%2F&show_text=0&width=560

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:10:30 pm by Yada »

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:47 pm »
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »
I just listened to both Come and Choas and Disorder... They are basically solid heavy funk albums.. the last track on Come is NSFW...
T.Rex