Author Topic: 2017 Albums  (Read 31928 times)

hutch

Re: 2017 Albums
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »
Bob Dylan

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 11:04:55 am »
KMFDM

I've never heard of them, but I'd love to give them a listen.  They have 25 albums for "free" on Amazon Prime.  Where would you recommend I start?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 11:29:06 am »
KMFDM

I've never heard of them, but I'd love to give them a listen.  They have 25 albums for "free" on Amazon Prime.  Where would you recommend I start?
From the other bands you've expressed an interest in, I would be rather surprised if you like KMFDM.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 11:38:33 am »
I like all of the bands.

killsaly

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 11:49:49 am »
Nihil and Xtort are two of my favorite KMFDM albums.   I like most of what they put out.

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 12:02:02 pm »
KMFDM

As a massive fan of early to-mid-era KMFDM, I think everyone should listen to "Naive" (the deleted original 1990 version that did get a sort-of re-release). Any version of that LP is worth tracking down. That's the original duo of Sasha and En Esch. To me, that music is some of the finest dance/industrial music ever made. It's got a Kraftwerk-meets-Ministry vibe to it, with some Giorgio Moroder thrown in. You don't know whether you should dance or mosh to it. "Money" has about 5 great songs on it. "Angst" is good too. The really early stuff is worth exploring only after you've absorbed and appreciated "Naive". Great, great stuff. The song "Liebeslied" and the thrash version of "Godlike" are superb. Also, the original "Godlike" and "Split" singles are great.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:16 pm »
I've listened to half of Nihil, and by golly, I think the boys from KMFDM are lovely!  I shall continue to enjoy their entertainments.  Thansk!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 02:08:56 pm »
I've listened to half of Nihil, and by golly, I think the boys from KMFDM are lovely!  I shall continue to enjoy their entertainments.  Thansk!
Well I am rendered rather surprised!
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
Well I am rendered rather surprised!

The only real exposure I have to the genre is NIN, whom I love.  I need to radically expand my knowledge in this area. 

killsaly

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 12:39:42 am »
No problem!

Space Freely

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 07:12:45 pm »
Chuck Berry - "CHUCK" - New Album Coming In 2017

Apparently wrote and produced it himself.

Yes, he is 90 years old.

hutch

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
Chuck Berry - "CHUCK" - New Album Coming In 2017

Apparently wrote and produced it himself.

Yes, he is 90 years old.

its important to say that in all likelihood these tracks were recorded years if not decades ago (I bet decades)....

Chuck has stopped playing live which is a blessing and at the same time sad...

I will always be sad I missed him at the 930 Club..I think it was either the night before or after he got the Kennedy Center Lifetime Honor (well deserved in spite of his brushes with the law)..... one of the worst calls I ever made...I did see him like 5 years ago but by then he'd obviously lost a big step....seeing him 20 years ago at the 930 club would have been much better....I didn't see him at Pimlico but my friend recorded it and I was able to watch it... Seth played drums with Chuck! Chuck must have gotten a nice paycheck cause he was very very happy and nothing makes him as happy as greenbacks...

Chuck Berry is number one in my rock and roll book....hard to believe he is still with us... I have a friend who saw what i think will be his last show in St Louis at a place he used to play every month...that was about 2 years ago.. no shows since then....

I have some autographed stuff by him but I really would have liked to meet him...

hutch

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 07:26:08 pm »
Another really funny thing was when Chuck Berry played a Patent Attorney Conference in DC many years ago (15?).. My friend who was a patent attorney filmed it and it was really funny watching Chuck cutting loose on the floor with all these stiff attorneys around.... I wish I'd gone to that one but I dont' think I was good friends with this guy at the time.....

hutch

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 07:29:17 pm »
Hail Hail Rock and ROll is must see (in its extended form).. you really get an idea of Chuck the man and it is at times hard to watch

Bruce Springsteen's clip in it is so funny ..worth checking out on youtube

It goes without saying that you could release multiple albums of the Beatles or Stones doing Chuck Berry tunes.. he really is the seminal influence in rock and roll....

I always post this and probably have on this forum but since its one of my favorite pieces of writing.. by CUb Koda (Brownsville Station) on the All Music Guide:

Of all the early breakthrough rock & roll artists, none is more important to the development of the music than Chuck Berry. He is its greatest songwriter, the main shaper of its instrumental voice, one of its greatest guitarists, and one of its greatest performers. Quite simply, without him there would be no Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, nor a myriad others. There would be no standard "Chuck Berry guitar intro," the instrument's clarion call to get the joint rockin' in any setting. The clippety-clop rhythms of rockabilly would not have been mainstreamed into the now standard 4/4 rock & roll beat. There would be no obsessive wordplay by modern-day tunesmiths; in fact, the whole history (and artistic level) of rock & roll songwriting would have been much poorer without him. Like Brian Wilson said, he wrote "all of the great songs and came up with all the rock & roll beats." Those who do not claim him as a seminal influence or profess a liking for his music and showmanship show their ignorance of rock's development as well as his place as the music's first great creator. Elvis may have fueled rock & roll's imagery, but Chuck Berry was its heartbeat and original mindset.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 05:36:46 pm »
The Police