Re: My opinions on your favorite bands
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »
Pitiful?  Is that a band?
I believe, he spells, it, Pitbull.

LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 04:49:20 pm »
Pitbull is an American icon.  I would not listen to his music, but I respect his drive.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 05:07:20 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »
The Clash
the Clash - They always get skipped when they pop up on SiriusXM.  All of their songs sound corny to me. 

Good to know I can stop visiting this thread.
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
 ;D

hutch

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »
Kilsally kind of reminds me of Donald Trump and many Republicans.. proud to be ignorant... New York Dolls? Never heard of them? The Clash? heard them on the radio once.. total losers...

killsaly

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2016, 06:01:47 pm »
That's not what I said at all.   

I did not say I had not heard of NY Dolls. I said I never explored their music.

I've heard most if not ALL albums by the Clash.  I said I skip their tracks on the radio because I don't like their music. I never said I only heard a couple radio songs.

killsaly

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2016, 06:05:39 pm »
/

killsaly

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2016, 06:06:05 pm »
/

bearman🐻

Re: 🎸
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 01:12:29 pm »
I'm sorta curious...how many of us can say we are "experts" on an artist's catalog? Some bands I own every single LP, have every single...I know their discography backwards and forwards. I've delved into the deep cuts, perhaps I've seen them in concert, etc. For example, I love Depeche Mode but have never bought stuff like "Delta Machine" or "A Broken Frame". So I wouldn't consider myself to know them as well as other bands. I love the Buzzcocks, but I don't own their last 2 LPs. So I wouldn't include them in my list. I wouldn't put the Velvet Underground in there either because I don't have any of the live LPs.

Here's a list of bands I can safely say I'm fully schooled in:

AIR
Air Miami
Arctic Monkeys
Belle and Sebastian
Best Coast
Big Black
Blur
Bob Mould
The Boo Ridleys
The Breeders
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine
Catherine Wheel (I think there's only 2 b-sides I don't own of theirs)
The Charlatans UK
The Cure (aside from recent b-sides)
Death Cab for Cutie
Descendents
Dinosaur Jr
Eagles of Death Metal
Elliott Smith (I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to Elliott)
The Evens
Face to Face
The Feelies
Fischerspooner
The Germs
Heatmiser
Husker Du
Inspiral Carpets
Interpol
Jawbreaker
Jesus and Mary Chain
Joy Division
Kristin Hersh (all except the last LP)
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
Luna
Lush
Material Issue
Minor Threat (that one's fairly easy)
My Bloody Valentine
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Peaches
Pixies
The Prodigy
Pylon
Queens of the Stone Age
Red House Painters
Ride
Shellac (includes early singles, some of their best stuff)
The Smiths
Social Distortion
The Stone Roses
Sugar
Supergrass
Throwing Muses

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
^^ this is an interesting topic. I cannot comment on this on a drunken Michigan football Saturday but I will loop back around to this.
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 04:21:38 pm »
AIR - I love Air. I have been a fan since 10 000 Hz Legend came out.  I am definitely not an expert in them though, I think they have at least three albums that I have not heard yet.

Air Miami - I have never heard of them.

Arctic Monkeys - I do not know why I disliked them when they first came out.  Maybe I did not like one of their first "hits" when I heard it.  Anyway, I like them now, but because of being a huge fan of The Last Shadow Puppets and then checking out Arctic Monkeys.  They do rock. 

Belle and Sebastian - I have not heard much of their music... Maybe a handful of songs total, and decided that this band is not for me. 

Best Coast - I am pretty neutral on them. 

Big Black - I have listened to their discography one time so far, and I dug it. 

Blur - Outside of their The Best Of release from 2000 and Parklife, I have not heard much of their music.  But I do love both those releases and a lot of Damon's other stuff.

Bob Mould - I usually like his music (solo or his old bands).  His solo stuff is what I am the least familiar with. 

The Boo Radleys - I love their name and remember reading about them in magazines, but I do not think I have actually heard anything by them. 

The Breeders - I dig them but Last Splash is the only album I have heard.

Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - I do not know who that is. 

Catherine Wheel - I have been meaning to go through their music.  I only know the song "Waydown" from a 90s CMJ disc (one way I would be able to hear bands during that era) but have enjoyed all the random songs that have popped up on my satellite radio. 

The Charlatans UK - I know the name but could not tell you anything about them. 

The Cure - The Cure rule.  I do not love a couple albums, but dig a good chunk of their catalog. 

Death Cab for Cutie - DCFC is one of my all time favorite bands.  I have seen them 8 times maybe (I am basing that off of the fact that I have like 8 t shirts of theirs from various tours and a few posters).  I got into them with Transatlanticism and love the albums before that one, and most of them ones after.  They always put on a fun show.  I did have to quit listening to them for a few years, as DCFC was a band that was associated with an ex of mine as I got into them while dating her and she loved them too... But now I can listen to them again. 

Descendents - I have liked what I have heard but never really explored their catalog. 

Dinosaur Jr - They rule.  I like all of their albums and they are so good live.

Eagles of Death Metal - I initially skipped them because of the QOTSA connection, but then skipped them after I heard Howard Stern play a couple of their songs after the Paris tragedy... It's not something I would listen to. 

Elliott Smith - I only own two of his albums, and enjoyed them both.  Needle in the Hay is one of my favorite songs. 

The Evens - They are my favorite Ian band.  They are fun on record and were good live. 

Face to Face - I never liked them.  I remember they had a video on MTV that I hated.  I did not try to get into them after that. 

The Feelies - I know they are a favorite on here, but I have not had time to check them out, even with the board's enthusiasm being so prominent.

Fischerspooner - Jeez... I haven't heard that name in forever.  I liked them way back.

The Germs - I could not tell you anything about them or their music.  Like I said, older punk really was not my thing.

Heatmiser - I do not know who that is. 

Husker Du - I have not listened to them since the 90s.  I am staring at at cassette of theirs that is part of my tape collection that I have displayed in my studio. 

Inspiral Carpets - I have seen the name and probably have heard songs by them, but am not sure what they sound like. 

Interpol - I love Interpol.  Seeing them at Virgin Fest 2007 was one of my favorite live music experiences... The rain starting as they started playing the first few notes of "Pioneer To the Falls"... I get chills just thinking about it (plus i just threw on the track).  I have not seen them since and should.  Every album they released is FIRE.

Jawbreaker - I never got into them.  I am adding them to my "need to check out" list right now.  Are the remastered releases any good?  (edit, listened to a couple songs off of each album and this is definitely something I like...)

Jesus and Mary Chain - I feel like I should love these guys; but I only find them to be OK. I have all the albums and like them, but kind of like some newer bands influenced by them more than i like them.

Joy Division - I dig them.  Who doesn't?  I did not check them out until the movie 24 Hour Party People came out. 

Kristin Hersh - I do not know who that is. 

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - I do not know who that is. 

Luna - I feel like I already gave my opinion on Luna on here... Not my thing (though I did enjoy that Britta solo release from this year).

Lush - I dig Lush.  Too bad they are playing on the same day as the Cocks. 

Material Issue - I do not know who that is. 

Minor Threat - I do not like most of the 70s and 80s punk and hardcore.  I started listened to punk with albums like Punk in Drublic and Stranger Than Fiction and leaned towards the bands who had a similar production style (I am sorry but some of that old music sounds like crap on the recordings). 

My Bloody Valentine - I know I should love them; so many bands I love are influenced by them, but i do not.  I tried.  I have listened to everything they released but outside of a handful of songs (like "Glider") I do not love their music.  I like it enough to see them live (though the volume of the show at Electric Factory was disappointing) and to buy a shirt.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin - I like the two bass attack... But my familiarity of their music does not extend past the So I Married an Axe Murderer soundtrack. 

Peaches - I dig her but have not listened to much of her music.

Pixies - They were one of the first "cool" bands that I listened to in 7th grade.  One of my teacher's daughters brought in Doolittle and I was sold.  It was awesome seeing them live twice. 

The Prodigy - They are one of the groups that got me into electronic music.  I have seen them twice and have all of their music and two t shirts from the shows.  Love them. 

Pylon - Never heard of them

Queens of the Stone Age - I tried to get into them.  I bought their first two albums when they came out.  I do not like them though.   

Red House Painters - I have not ever listened to them.  I REALLY disliked Sun Kil Moon's contributions to the album he made with Jesu, so I cant imagine I would like RHP. 

Ride - I listened to all of their albums and they did not do it for me.  I like other artists in the same vein of music way more.  I did go see them live at 930 Club, and was not impressed live either (plus the sound was horrible that night, one of the nights that the bass was too freaking loud.  Why cant all 930 shows sound like Slowdive or Television?  Who is the sound person thinking rock songs need to have bass be the MOST prominent feature?)

Shellac - I have a friend who loves them and they are playing soon, so they are on my listen list...

The Smiths - I think they have a great range; their songs range from amazing to bullshit.  Such diversity! 

Social Distortion - Nope.  I cant listen to them.  I have tried.  They are not my thing. 

The Stone Roses - Hell yeah.  I had to borrow a shitty car over a decade ago while mine was in the shop one summer... It had zero AC and a tape player.  So I bought some tapes and two of them were the Stone Roses.  I really want to see them... Oh, but of their recent released songs, I hated one.  The other I heard I enjoyed. 

Sugar - I am a Sugar fan.  File Under Easy Listening is a classic.  Copper is great.  This is the project of his that I want to see live. 

Supergrass - I bought Life On Other Planets when it came out and LOVE it... But for some reason I never got anything else.  If this came out in Facebook days I probably would have followed their catalog. I am also adding these to the listen list... (edit, I just looked at their discography... I have a lot of albums to check out pre Life on Other Planets also, and realized I did know and liked I Should Coco, I just did not have it right now)...

Throwing Muses - I know Tanya Donelly is in the band, but could not tell you what they sound like.  I am guessing like something she would do. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:29:10 pm by killsaly »

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »
They are fun on record and were good live. 

jez, that was the oposite of my experice with them, but I'm to bias to form an objective opinion there

Like I said, older punk

kinda stings when you say it like that

I do not know who that is. 
why it's Elliot Smith

I have displayed in my studio. 

#humblebrag

but kind of like some newer bands influenced by them more than i like them.

You know who does that for me...Gram Parsons
hurts to say, but it's true for a lot of bands/artists

Punk in Drublic
fucking love that album, I saw them on this tour in one of 15 or so shows I saw at the old 930 club

some of that old music sounds like crap on the recordings

really can argure there, but fidelity was never a goal of that genre...it's all about as iggy would say 'raw power'

Such diversity! 

this was sheer artistic commentary
Bravo...

I really want to see them...

There have been a few shows in the calendar year of 2016 that I wanted to see more than this one. Hurt even more to hear they sounded great
Damn Seth, Please give this guy a ring up on the telly and make it happen

10 for effort
8 for crass delivery
4 for musical history appreciation

but over all, a good read
slack

killsaly

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2016, 11:57:48 pm »
(I fixed some of your spelling mistakes)
They are fun on record and were good live. 
jeez, that was the opposite of my experience with them, but I'm to bias to form an objective opinion there
You did not like the Evens live?  I thought they were fun when they played 2640 Space.  I dug the sitdown style of Ian.

Like I said, older punk
kinda stings when you say it like that
I just mean stuff that was around before I started listening to the genre, IE anything before Punk in Drublic.  One of my neighbors introduced me to that album at a fairly young age (he was a few years older than me, and I am not sure how he was introduced to them in our small back water hick town... He got me into a lot of punk after that, but it was all new (at the time).

I do not know who that is. 
why it's Elliot Smith
What?  I know who he is... I did not say that I did not know who he was.

I have displayed in my studio. 
#humblebrag
I do not have kids and have multiple extra rooms.  One is my home office/studio.  I thought studio sounded cooler than office so maybe it was a humble brag.

but kind of like some newer bands influenced by them more than i like them.
You know who does that for me...Gram Parsons
hurts to say, but it's true for a lot of bands/artists
i agree.  There are tons of artists that influenced artists that I like, that I do not like. Like the Beatles.  They do not do it for me. That being said, I do like a few songs like "Come Together", but not many (and YES I have listened to their music and was exposed to it growing up etc). 

Punk in Drublic

fucking love that album, I saw them on this tour in one of 15 or so shows I saw at the old 930 club
Lucky... I did not even go to a "real" show until seeing Reel Big Fish in New Orleans in 1998 or 1999 and my next one after that was Radiohead at Merriweather in 2003... Between those two shows I only went to Raves, electronic music events, etc.  and then after Radiohead I started going to tons of shows.  I definitely did not go to any shows around the time of PID... I did see stuff like our local Blues Fest, and Clarence Carter once played that.

some of that old music sounds like crap on the recordings
really can argue there, but fidelity was never a goal of that genre...it's all about as iggy would say 'raw power'
Oh don't get me wrong, I GET the aesthetic of it, I just do not really like it as much as the polished sound.  I do love noise.  Noise rock.  Lo-fi.  I just never got into a certain type of punk and hardcore.  My drummer made the same argument to me.

Such diversity! 
this was sheer artistic commentary
Bravo...
;D

I really want to see them...

There have been a few shows in the calendar year of 2016 that I wanted to see more than this one. Hurt even more to hear they sounded great
One day...

10 for effort
8 for crass delivery
4 for musical history appreciation

but over all, a good read
Thanks!  And by the way, I do take the time to go back and listen to old music.  Over the last year I have listened to tons of 70s and 80s music that I either dismissed or just had never heard.  One of the reasons was I took a road trip to Alabama with my fiancee and her family and they had a new car with Sirius and I showed her dad the classic alternative station, and it was over, that is all that we listened to that whole trip.  It reminded him of his college days in the early 80s... It was a fun bonding experience so I kept listening to the station and bought him a Sirius XM radio for his cabin cruiser.  Romeo Void, Duran Duran, Bauhaus, the Chameleons, Modern English, Pet Shop Boys, the Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Tear Garden, This Mortal Coil, Thompson Twins, and XTC are just a few old artists that I have only started enjoying from the 80s... I have been checking out anything my drummer recommends so stuff like Hawkwind were recently checked out by me. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:59:51 pm by killsaly »

bearman🐻

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 09:51:54 am »
I'm so grateful I discovered punk rock. To me, it's the genre that was the most fun to listen to, to see in concert, etc. But eventually you need to expand your horizons. Heatmiser is Elliott Smith's old band. Started off as kind of indie/punk/grunge and quickly started to move towards more of an emo/indie rock sound.

Air Miami is a spinoff from Unrest. One of my favorite local bands of all time. "Me Me Me" is their only LP, but it's a classic.

It always blew my mind that a record like "Dookie" by Green Day could blow up but the self-titled Face to Face LP didn't. Face to Face is one of those bands that deserved to be way bigger. Their melodies and songwriting make them one of those bands that I find hard not to love. But like a lot of bands from that era who got signed in a rush, they also got forgotten about when they didn't move hundreds of thousands of copies of the "breakthrough" LP. Their documentary features a classic example of some A&R guy dropping the ball and actually sabotaging them at a moment when they had an opportunity for modest (or even major) success. It's unfortunate because they are a truly great band. And they kill at playing covers. Their cover of "Interzone" by Joy Division is one of my favorites of all time because they were able to make it their own and still somehow make it better.

There are a ton of other bands I could claim to know better...the Damned, the House of Love, Cocteau Twins, Echo & the Bunnymen, PJ Harvey, New Order....but I am missing one or 2 LPs. Do I need to own or listen to "Anything" by the Damned? Probably not. "Reverberation" by Echo & the Bunnymen? Or the last New Order LP without Peter Hook? No thanks. Plus, I like to fully absorb the music that I buy. I want to be able to have a real sense of what the work is about. Listening to something once or twice all the way through doesn't really give you that. At least not to me. My ears are good but not that good. And as I get older, I find that there are fewer things that really make me me take notice. That last DIIV LP is a good example. And when I play it for people, they love it.