Author Topic: Why does the drummer always get screwed?  (Read 9770 times)

hutch

Re: Why does the drummer always get screwed?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »
Primal Scream was always something of a revolving door but Tom McGurk got axed right before they broke big.

Speaking of which, are there any Scream fanatics who happen to know who was playing drums for them in the year 2000? I have a 03/20/2000 bootleg from Maida Vale and the drummer on that show is INSANELY good.

its the dude from Stone Roses

hutch

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 04:53:55 pm »
maybe its the dude who replaced the dude who replaced the dude from Oasis whose dad was the dude who replaced Sandom and was taught to drum by the  dude who replaced the original dude from the Beatles?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 04:57:44 pm »
maybe its the dude who replaced the dude who replaced the dude from Oasis whose dad was the dude who replaced Sandom and was taught to drum by the  dude who replaced the original dude from the Beatles?
The fact that that sentence isn't total horseshit is kind of amazing.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »
Tony McCarroll of Oasis got kinda screwed but not really because his fucking plodding-ass beats on Definitely Maybe are so distracting it ruins the record. Seriously, listen to any song from DM -- the drumbeat is the same whether it's Cigarettes & Alcohol or Live Forever. Awful drummer, I'm glad he got fired.

He did an OK job on that LP. I don't think he ruined it. It adds kind of a garage-y feel to it. But it was time for him to go. If you put McCarroll in a drum-off with Meg White, who would win?

FYI, I met McCarroll in Ireland once and he was super nice.

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:09 pm »
Primal Scream was always something of a revolving door but Tom McGurk got axed right before they broke big.

Speaking of which, are there any Scream fanatics who happen to know who was playing drums for them in the year 2000? I have a 03/20/2000 bootleg from Maida Vale and the drummer on that show is INSANELY good.

Mani from Stone Roses played bass, not drums.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »
And who can name the drummers for Genesis before Phil Collins joined in 1970?

Chris Stewart is now a farmer in Spain and the author of several popular autobiographical works.

John Silver worked briefly at Thames Television in London in the 1980s and hasn't been heard from since.

John Mayhew...well, little was known of Mayhew's whereabouts following his departure from Genesis. There was speculation that he was deceased or missing. In 1982, he moved to Australia, where he found work as a carpenter. In 1989, he briefly returned to England to visit his ailing mother.

hutch

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »

Mani from Stone Roses played bass, not drums.

yea..sorry..weak attempt at an "insider" joke...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »
Rush and its membership went through several reconfigurations between 1968 and 1974, achieving its current line-up when Peart replaced original drummer John Rutsey in July 1974, two weeks before the group's first tour of the United States.

hutch

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
Rush and its membership went through several reconfigurations between 1968 and 1974, achieving its current line-up when Peart replaced original drummer John Rutsey in July 1974, two weeks before the group's first tour of the United States.

yeah I was just reading all about Rutsey the other day....another case of the guy who helped make the band being screwed but its unclear exactly what happened...

at least around 1990 lifeson still saw rutsey at the gym so it wasn't a complete tragedy...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:07:32 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
what about Levon Helm...wasn't he replaced by the guy from Home Improvement for Dylan's 1966 tour?

(I think this may have been Levon's decision...still cracks me up every time though)

hutch

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »
what about the chick who played on Sleater's Call the Doctor? Whatever happened in that case?

I happen to think Janet Weiss is a monster drummer... just curious though..they did break with Call the Doctor so it always seemed a bit strange

hutch

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »
The fact that that sentence isn't total horseshit is kind of amazing.

yeah..the dude who was replaced in the Beatles a few decades later would go on tour with the drummer son his mother had with the Beatles' road manager.. the half brother drum attack tour!

I saw that show! talk about weird...human beings are so weird....sex is so weird..

evilizac

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 05:20:28 pm »
I also think a big issue for most almost been drummers is really they usually aren't up to snuff for "pop music." Specifically thinking dude from Oasis, Chad Channing, Scott from Blink or Gary Young.
They worked fine and the band was able to produce solid music despite deficiencies (as opposed to a band like the Beatles or say the White Stripes where a deficiency is often looked at as part of the "sound").
I think the missing piece for successful bands who changed drummers was to find a drummer that could do what the best drummers usually end up doing in a band, which is holding things together when need be and also being able to really help a song explode, usually without getting in the way musically.
WHAT?

Space Freely

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »
Ken Coomer got booted from Wilco because Tweedy wanted to be more experimental. Though you really can't really argue against Glen Kotchke.

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
Ken Coomer got booted from Wilco because Tweedy wanted to be more experimental. Though you really can't really argue against Glen Kotchke.
Coomer was great, but he was Heirdon's replacment too*
but agreed he was not a good fit for the post Bennett Wilco

Did learn something new and odd ...but here it is (from Wiki)
Mind you 1992 they got signed to Sire Records...

Around the time of the recording of March 16?20, 1992, Mike Heidorn had secured a steady job at a Belleville newspaper company and was dating a woman who had two children from a previous marriage. Uncle Tupelo had planned a tour of Europe, but Heidorn wanted to stay in Belleville with his girlfriend, whom he married in August 1992.

The band held auditions prior to the promotional tour for March 16?20, 1992, and two candidates stood out: Bill Belzer and Ken Coomer. Although singers Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy agreed that Coomer was the better drummer, they were intimidated by his six-foot-four stature and long dreadlocks. The band selected Belzer as Heidorn's replacement, but he only stayed with the band for six months.

Tweedy explained Belzer's departure:

We had Belzer in the band for six months. I want to believe it was purely musical, and I honestly believe that it wasn't working musically. I also believe that we weren't emotionally mature enough to be close friends with a gay person at that point in our lives ... And Bill was and is a very proud and righteous gay person, very open about his homosexuality.

and another SMH moment, but was funny to read
Coomer is a producer. His most notable production work is the debut solo album of Vaquero's singer Chetes, which achieved platinum record sales in the Mexican music market.

So what does it take to go platinum in the Mexican market these days
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:21:22 am by sidehatch 🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 »
slack