Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 258458 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Anthem
« Reply #540 on: October 08, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
For a second, I thought you meant Ian McKay, and I was all like fugazi?!?

DotTheEyes

« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
I want to echo the parking question.  There is a big underground garage, right?

Got Haggis?

« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2017, 10:27:48 pm »
Hmm well at least 2 members of fugazi are playing tonight, heh (the messthetics)

lily1

« Reply #543 on: October 08, 2017, 10:51:45 pm »
Hey Seth...

Thanks for the preview tonight. Nice to chat with you before we went in.

Some feedback below, both good and constructive.

Good:
-Staff are great.  The 930 hospitality training program for staff that work at any of your venues continues its path of success.
-Food is tasty and nice partnering with Red Apron to support another local business.
-Tons of water fountains and water bottle filling stations. YAY!
-Venue is attractive. We all loved the cymbals display.
-Venue is very accessible to the mobility challenged.

Needs improvement:
-Crowd control is non existent. There should have been line dividers set up. This only had probably 2000 people who were all pretty easy going. Thursday is a going to be a shitshow with 6000 people who are not going to be so easy going.  Businesses are gonna be pissed when no one can get in their store because there are 3 snacked around lines in front of their doors.
-Sound kinda bounces. Maybe that will be mitigated with a completely full venue but to me it seemed way obvious tonight.
-You need something by the food to show which order number is ready-like one of those deli "no serving" thingies. It was a total clusterfuck of hangry people waiting 40 minutes and your poor staff trying to yell out numbers in a super loud venue.
-Sensors on the automatic soap and water dispensers in the bathroom are a total pain in the ass. All my friends had the same experience and other in the restrooms were bitching as well.  I couldn't even get the soap to come out of 3 dispensers.
-Food containers look not to be compostable. My friend is a crazy environmentalist and wasn't pleased to see plastic being used to hold her shrimp.  Talk to Sweetgreen and see what company they used for their compostable containers.

dyecraig

« Reply #544 on: October 08, 2017, 11:11:44 pm »
great time tonight, got to say hi to seth, boilen, canty and hang with some iconic boardies.
the venue is beautiful and huge, a giant playground.
that cymbal display is jaw-dropping.
minor issues will be resolved, we know.
thank you seth, we share your pride and joy.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »
Overall, an excellent, but expensive night! Full recap tomorrow.

hemisphire

« Reply #546 on: October 09, 2017, 12:03:23 am »
I want to echo the parking question.  There is a big underground garage, right?

Yes, and plenty of spaces tonight.

hemisphire

« Reply #547 on: October 09, 2017, 12:08:53 am »
Hey Seth...

Thanks for the preview tonight. Nice to chat with you before we went in.

Some feedback below, both good and constructive.

Good:
-Staff are great.  The 930 hospitality training program for staff that work at any of your venues continues its path of success.
-Food is tasty and nice partnering with Red Apron to support another local business.
-Tons of water fountains and water bottle filling stations. YAY!
-Venue is attractive. We all loved the cymbals display.
-Venue is very accessible to the mobility challenged.

Needs improvement:
-Crowd control is non existent. There should have been line dividers set up. This only had probably 2000 people who were all pretty easy going. Thursday is a going to be a shitshow with 6000 people who are not going to be so easy going.  Businesses are gonna be pissed when no one can get in their store because there are 3 snacked around lines in front of their doors.
-Sound kinda bounces. Maybe that will be mitigated with a completely full venue but to me it seemed way obvious tonight.
-You need something by the food to show which order number is ready-like one of those deli "no serving" thingies. It was a total clusterfuck of hangry people waiting 40 minutes and your poor staff trying to yell out numbers in a super loud venue.
-Sensors on the automatic soap and water dispensers in the bathroom are a total pain in the ass. All my friends had the same experience and other in the restrooms were bitching as well.  I couldn't even get the soap to come out of 3 dispensers.
-Food containers look not to be compostable. My friend is a crazy environmentalist and wasn't pleased to see plastic being used to hold her shrimp.  Talk to Sweetgreen and see what company they used for their compostable containers.

Seconded on the food delivery and soap sensors. Also there was no service from Sprint, more towers or Wi-Fi would help.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #548 on: October 09, 2017, 12:36:17 am »
fun night at soft1
got to say hey to seth, chat with rich and also with ian mackaye (who seth called a "pussy" earlier in the night).
venue is large, and new, and shiny.
it is a deadzone for cell service,but the free wifi worked great.
the food service was spotty, but ultimately was okay.
parked on the street, but was kind of dicey - illegal due to temporary no parking restrictions.
Bands were good, enjoyed Bat Fangs the most.
Staph was friendly.
There are water fountains but no water pitchers at the bars...

Thanks VasD for the ticket!

Unsanity

« Reply #549 on: October 09, 2017, 02:14:28 am »
I had a good time. The place had a great look and great sound. the music was lovely.

I am glad I am not going on Thursday to the Foos though, I am betting it will be a big mess at the Wharf. Good luck to all who attend!

Those soap dispensers were indeed terrible and really did not work. Maybe put in old school ones with no sensors!

lily1

« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2017, 06:51:56 am »
we were not able to connect to the wireless.

i had either 1 or 2 bars of service with verizon depending on where i stood in the venue. my friends on ATT had no service at all.

gavroche

« Reply #551 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:07 am »
I had a nice time at the soft opening.  I ran into a ton of people that I know from different parts of life. The line was huge when I got there but it moved pretty fast to get in.  The wharf is no where near ready. My friends paid $25 to park in the garage but I've got a trick that I think will keep parking free and easy (at least until they catch on and change the parking rules).  My friends who didn't know the area and tried to use google maps/uber got lost because the address wasn't recognized. 

Soap dispensers didn't work for me and I heard that there were problems with the lights in the ladies restroom.  I like the balcony but can't imagine it won't be loud for the apartments around it.  Sound was great for me on the floor.  It was kind of loud and bass heavy upstairs when we checked it out at the end but things had already started to thin out by then.  There are a couple of the seats with obstructed (the ones in the corners) by rails when you are sitting. 

My friends who really wanted to eat ended up leaving early rather than dealing with the food system.  (They did appreciate the prospect of a vegan hot dog though). 

Beer selection had some local stuff, which was nice, but not a lot that was interesting. 

conorh98

« Reply #552 on: October 09, 2017, 08:32:03 am »
Not that soap dispensers don't define my concert-going experience, but let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a phenomenal venue.  The place is massive but feels as intimate as the 9:30 Club somehow.  The sound was excellent--as good as anywhere I've been, which is a feat given the size.  It's a beautiful space with nice lighting, furnishings, the cymbal sculpture, stairs--I even dug the pixellated stage curtains.  Another great feature is an outdoor balcony on the second floor that looks out onto the waterfront.  Somehow, the sound from the stage doesn't bleed out to the balcony, so it's probably going to be a hit with people who aren't into loud opening acts or just need a breather from a band.  There are bars everywhere and plenty of bartenders so the lines moved quickly (and if there was a line, it was easy enough to find another bar that was open).  I think the DC area is pretty spoiled for all the great and interesting music venues we have.  But this really stands out as perhaps the best venue of its size anywhere in the country. 

All three bands were excellent, but the second one (Bat Fangs, I think) were my favorite.  All thee bands played music of a similar sound, so it will be interesting to hear what other types of bands sound like on that stage (e.g., horn sections, acoustic acts).  I'm looking forward to going back!

wml7

« Reply #553 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:06 am »
Was the show as amazing and incredible that Julian said it was going to be?
 ;D

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #554 on: October 09, 2017, 09:22:42 am »
Hasn't really been part of anyone's comments yet so I'll presume the answer is "no, but it was fine".

How late did people stay?