Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 258329 times)

hutch

Re: The Anthem
« Reply #690 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »
Slayed

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #691 on: October 12, 2017, 01:42:20 am »
And, no cell service to speak of. 

conspiracy theory: the venue is scrambling cell service, on purpose.

to be clear, the above is completely unfounded, potentially illegal, and mostly a fantasy of mine.  while it might not stop all idiots who incessantly hold up their phones at shows, lack of connectivity would at least cut off the periscopers/streamers/etc.

speaking of cell phones: how did the whole lockable pouch thing go?

I think the food issue is a problem they may not solve right away. We ordered within 15 minutes of opening and waited until 7:30. The orders, when they came up,  were in a totally random fashion. Added to the mess was the fact that they have no way of announcing which orders have come up.

seems to me that that last part could be solved with a $10 whiteboard.  or, go fancy and get some sort of a pixel-board (electronic sign).
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2017, 04:50:47 am »
conspiracy theory: the venue is scrambling cell service, on purpose.

Eponysterical

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2017, 04:56:23 am »
it's going to be commuter hell between the show and the game so add in lots of extra time if taking the metro or driving. green line is going to jam packed and 395/295/14th street bridge will be gridlock.

Add to that the Bacon Brothers free show, daylight fireworks at 630 and other grand opening festivities...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2017, 05:33:03 am »
I was hanging out in back and meet Bags briefly last night.  How long did they end up playing?  I lost steam around 10 and with the 15 minute walk back to L'efant slipped out.. Venue is indeed top notch!
T.Rex

gavroche

« Reply #695 on: October 12, 2017, 08:52:36 am »
I was hanging out in back and meet Bags briefly last night.  How long did they end up playing?  I lost steam around 10 and with the 15 minute walk back to L'efant slipped out.. Venue is indeed top notch!

I'm not really a Foo Fighters fan but I had a blast at last nights show.  The venue really shined for this show.  Foo Fighters were able to fill the space in a way that none of the bands from the soft openers were.  Lots of people there were genuine fans wearing FF stuff.  I didn't go upstairs but from the floor the Anthem was full without being uncomfortable.  It even thinned out a little bit at the end.

Dave was obviously having a good time and he does a good job of playing the part of Rock star.  He let the band play around at times as well. I actually liked most of the deeper cuts (which I'd never heard) better than the radio hits that I did know. Show started promptly at 9:00 and Elliott didn't only had about a minute of filler before things kicked off.  Show was only billed as an hour but it ended up going until 10:45. 

Not sure if the food problems were worked out but I did see hot dogs making their way towards me and they looked pretty good.

Once it started I had no regrets about missing Tricky at U Street.

Yada

« Reply #696 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:43 am »
I have no skin in the game and don't really care, but curious how many people will be butthurt that really they're not going to the opening of The Anthem tonight where in reality it's been open all week with the main headliner playing two nights in a row?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #697 on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:40 am »
I have no skin in the game and don't really care, but curious how many people will be butthurt that really they're not going to the opening of The Anthem tonight where in reality it's been open all week with the main headliner playing two nights in a row?
Tuesday and last night did not have Julian in the building. Sunday and tonite do. That's your real FOMO point.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:01 am »
Have to say a colossal thank you to the Director for hooking me up with a ticket. Such a thoughtful gesture, and I am so grateful. Sorry we didn't cross paths last night, but we will in the future. I owe you.

My thoughts:

1) The venue: pretty stunning. It has the stature of something like the Aragon in Chicago, but a 21st Century version with much better sound and more comfortable. It's so funny how it feels like a club and a small arena at the same time. It just depends on what's going on. With the Foos on stage, they make it feel like one big party. But it's going to be interesting to see how the feel of the venue changes depending upon who is on stage. And that stage is huge. I didn't have any issues getting in, and I'm grateful that the capacity was capped. It was easy to move around and check things out. Though I didn't buy any drinks or eat anything, it looked like there were a lot of options. I recognized some staff (didn't see Hutch though) and everyone working there seemed pretty cool.

2) The Foos: not my favorite show of theirs, but very fun. Dave was talking to Seth during the set, who was right above me and beaming down like a proud papa admiring his new baby. The set was actually a solid 2 hours...they wrapped up just before 11pm. Pretty impressive that they gave us a full show. I am sure tonight will be more grand, I was wondering if maybe they'd bring in some special guests or something.

3) Overall: we needed a venue of this size, and we got it. The face of music has definitely changed, and unfortunately most of the bands that I want to see aren't playing the 9:30 Club anymore. Most are either of a more specific taste, so they grace smaller stages. Others will be at the Anthem. So in a lot of ways, this is the venue that we'll likely be spending more and more time at. It'll be interesting to see how easy it is to get there and leave, especially using ride shares, because I don't see the Metro as being the most convenient option. That whole part of the city is now changed for good. I can't believe walking around there how much they put there. If it's true Millennials are starting to leave DC, then we'll see if all the growth in the city is sustainable. I wish Seth and all the other business owners great success. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to attend shows, weekends are safer bets for me. I'll just assume most nights the headliner will go on in the 8:30 to 9:15 range. Hutch, if you are able to get any intel, please share with us whatever you find out. We'll make it worth your efforts, I promise.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
Hutch, if you are able to get any free tickets, please share with us. We'll make it worth your efforts, I promise.

FTFY

gavroche

« Reply #700 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
Have to say a colossal thank you to the Director for hooking me up with a ticket. Such a thoughtful gesture, and I am so grateful. Sorry we didn't cross paths last night, but we will in the future. I owe you.

My thoughts:

1) The venue: pretty stunning. It has the stature of something like the Aragon in Chicago, but a 21st Century version with much better sound and more comfortable. It's so funny how it feels like a club and a small arena at the same time. It just depends on what's going on. With the Foos on stage, they make it feel like one big party. But it's going to be interesting to see how the feel of the venue changes depending upon who is on stage. And that stage is huge. I didn't have any issues getting in, and I'm grateful that the capacity was capped. It was easy to move around and check things out. Though I didn't buy any drinks or eat anything, it looked like there were a lot of options. I recognized some staff (didn't see Hutch though) and everyone working there seemed pretty cool.

2) The Foos: not my favorite show of theirs, but very fun. Dave was talking to Seth during the set, who was right above me and beaming down like a proud papa admiring his new baby. The set was actually a solid 2 hours...they wrapped up just before 11pm. Pretty impressive that they gave us a full show. I am sure tonight will be more grand, I was wondering if maybe they'd bring in some special guests or something.

3) Overall: we needed a venue of this size, and we got it. The face of music has definitely changed, and unfortunately most of the bands that I want to see aren't playing the 9:30 Club anymore. Most are either of a more specific taste, so they grace smaller stages. Others will be at the Anthem. So in a lot of ways, this is the venue that we'll likely be spending more and more time at. It'll be interesting to see how easy it is to get there and leave, especially using ride shares, because I don't see the Metro as being the most convenient option. That whole part of the city is now changed for good. I can't believe walking around there how much they put there. If it's true Millennials are starting to leave DC, then we'll see if all the growth in the city is sustainable. I wish Seth and all the other business owners great success. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to attend shows, weekends are safer bets for me. I'll just assume most nights the headliner will go on in the 8:30 to 9:15 range. Hutch, if you are able to get any intel, please share with us whatever you find out. We'll make it worth your efforts, I promise.

I am up for a bit of a walk, but I've used metro twice from there and had no problems.  Last night I made it to L'Enfant by 11:00 easily and home to the hill by 11:20.  On Tuesday I took the train back to Bethesda without a problem.   

Bags

« Reply #701 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:04 am »
They played until 10:55.

They didn't lock up cell phones last night, which has me wondering if they really are going to bother tonight, with 6000 attendees going in and coming out.

wml7

« Reply #702 on: October 12, 2017, 11:10:07 am »
Yeah the cell phone lock up bags aren't bad.  They did it for the Chappelle show at Warner.  I guess that is way less then 6000 but it's doable.  Did they mention they would do this?  I will bring my camcorder instead
 ;D

Bags

« Reply #703 on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:17 am »
Great post, Bearman.  Missed you last night, I was over on the other side of the stage.  Agree with all you said.  I will have been at The Anthem 5 times in less than 2 weeks.  Like the old days for me at 9:30.  ;)

ggw

« Reply #704 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:17 am »
Are you allowed to kneel at the Anthem?