Author Topic: Washington DC area's greatest homegrown musical product  (Read 5849 times)

hutch

Washington DC area's greatest homegrown musical product
« on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:47 pm »
I'd have to say if we think of impact on music and the world surely it must be without a doubt Duke Ellington?

with Marvin Gaye clearly esconced in second place....I been listening to a lot of Marvin the past year.. man he is just fantastic....he's got the best "WHOOOOOOO" and "WOOOOOOOOOHHHH" and "OOOOOOOOOHHHH OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH"'s in the business! Michael Jackson definitely has a good "WHOOOOOO" too...

Ian MacKaye would merit a mention somewhere on the list I suppose....just because of his impact with Minor Threat, Fugazi, the Dischord label, etc...

some of the others I just can't take seriously and would be lower down on the list.... like Peaches and Herb .. even Chuck Brown and the whole go go scene... its rare I hear a go go song that knocks me out.. so many Chuck Brown singles are basically covers. .2001 (that'll work) or the Duke Ellington song he turns into go go....

Thievery Corporation had their success but greatness does not come to mind...

Probably one of the bigger selling musicians from the area was the jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd I suppose..but he was not from the area originally. he was from Suffolk, VA (southern VA)...he did some important stuff like the record with Stan Getz that I think led to the Getz Gilberto one and the bossa nova craze in the US....

It strikes me as rather remarkable given the city's importance in the black community.... how little musical talent seemed to emerge from DC>. DC was always a top destination for people like James Brown but we didn't have any local funk masters as far as I can tell.. maybe a bit player here or there (Joe QUatermain).. And cities like Philly and Pittsburgh gave rise to a huge roster of fine jazz hard bop musicians but for whatever reason I can't think of any from DC although there must be a few...

Also, DC never gave rise to any succesful national record label which is surprising.....I mean Philly had the TSOP/Gamble-Huff/Philly Groove..... the DC record labels I have come across have been very minor labels with very few releases... the other day i found one called DC International.. ONE record is all they have I think! Maybe the labels that flourished most would be Dischord and the go go labels like TTED.. I guess we also had Teenbeat? but nothing resembling other cities like Cincinnatti with KING or Detroit with MOTOWN or Chicago with CHESS/Cadet/Argo....

And lets face it.. Duke Ellington was a product of DC but he had to move to NYC to "make it"... kind of like bands do today...

DC probably deserves some ownership of the whole Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton thing given it is Chocolate City and a sort of home base for the whole thing...DC definitely loves the PFUNK.. but no, it was not a DC thing or did not come from DC... George CLinton I think grew up New Jersey or something and moved to Detroit.. Detroit didn't just have Motown .. they had mutliple labels. he landed on Westbound which had its own roster of cool music (Dennis Coffey, Ohio Players)

Ralph Stanley was from Virginia but the southwestern tip.. might as well be Kentucky...certainly not our region... Patsy Cline was originally from Winchester but again..far...

I recently heard a DC band called "The Originals" which was interesting.. they were a soul disco band fronted by a gay singer with a falsetto and their music really recalls the BeeGees... people wonder if that is where the BeeGees stumbled onto their sound...but, again, they sold very few records I think...still, I guess notable for being Motown's first openly gay act..

I suppose DC had a very big reggae scene in the 1980s.... there was the RAS record label which put out a ton of stuff.. and I think was based in DC..but I cant' think of any local reggae that went anywhere...

for such an international town it is remarkable how little in international music has been accomplished... NYC with the Bronx and some of those boroughs full of Latinos gave the world the FANIA label, boogaloo....

Maybe DC just has too many white people or something...or the government being here is an issue... I've lived in DC many years now... I used to go to HR57 to catch live jazz very regularly and just about all they had was Antonio Parker (really good sax player.. even I think tried out for Prince or may have played).. and they had this guy Benito who could jam on the piano... but not much else....I even saw Buck Hill there who must have been like mid 80s... the famous wailing postman who played baritone sax in the 50s and 60s including with Charlie Byrd but gave it up to be a postman and then came back...maybe his problem was not moving out of DC.. maybe DC can't support its musicians for whatever reason..

I think John K is based in DC now but he is not a product of DC as far as I know...

hutch

Re: Washington DC area's greatest homegrown musical product
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:54:52 pm »
oh I guess there is Dave Grohl too...

the 70s band Angel... kind of glammy rock I guess.... pretty bad..

hutch

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:26:35 pm »
this is kind of cool.. its about the cellar door club... i did not realize there was a connection with the national/norva..of course i guess cellar door was absorbed into what became the live nation ticketmaster behemoth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cellar_Door

Unsanity

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:20 am »
I recently heard a DC band called "The Originals" which was interesting.. they were a soul disco band fronted by a gay singer with a falsetto and their music really recalls the BeeGees... people wonder if that is where the BeeGees stumbled onto their sound...but, again, they sold very few records I think...still, I guess notable for being Motown's first openly gay act..

Do you mean the Dynamic Superiors?

Chuck Brown wasn't always solo and wasn't always go go. The Soul Searchers put out two excellent funk records on the Sussex label (in 1972 and 74 respectively) before Chuck started throwing his name in front.

Pentagram are from Northern Virginia and are one of the most influential heavy metal bands on the planet. Other than Black Sabbath and small handful of others they are responsible for an entire sub genre known as doom metal. They are still around with their original front man Bobby Liebling and 80's guitarist Victor Griffin touring and making new music to this very day.

Henry Rollins and Bad Brains come to mind as well. Also Clutch even though they are from Germantown.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:54:31 am »

Do you mean the Dynamic Superiors?

Chuck Brown wasn't always solo and wasn't always go go. The Soul Searchers put out two excellent funk records on the Sussex label (in 1972 and 74 respectively) before Chuck started throwing his name in front.

Pentagram are from Northern Virginia and are one of the most influential heavy metal bands on the planet. Other than Black Sabbath and small handful of others they are responsible for an entire sub genre known as doom metal. They are still around with their original front man Bobby Liebling and 80's guitarist Victor Griffin touring and making new music to this very day.

Henry Rollins and Bad Brains come to mind as well. Also Clutch even though they are from Germantown.

yeah... Dynamic Superiors.. I got my Motown bands confused..
yeah I have the two Chuck Brown albums.. one of them has a heavily sampled break but that is about it..

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:52 am »
how could you forget the Starland Vocal Band!

Jon Spencer cut his chops here...but moved to NYC to really get noticed

Dave Matthews is kinda a DC guy

but yes...it's pretty sad how few homegrown things come from here
Discord and go-go are really the only contribution to the cannon
slack

Yada

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:47 am »

Thievery Corporation had their success but greatness does not come to mind...

lolwut... they shouldn't even be mentioned in that wall of text you just dropped.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 10:34:56 am »

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:01:00 am »

Dave Matthews is kinda a DC guy

how so?
rom 1991 to 2003, Matthews predominantly focused on songwriting and performing with the Dave Matthews Band, which he started in Charlottesville, ...
Not DC...but kinda from a geographic perspective
slack

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:39 am »

Were already living in NYC at that point and Recorded 1983 at Synchro Sound Studios, Boston, Massachusetts

still one of my favorite all time albums
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 11:05:52 am »
Ginuwine was born in DC
oword

shemptiness

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 12:06:41 pm »

shemptiness