Author Topic: Giorgio Moroder ROLL CALL  (Read 4275 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Giorgio Moroder ROLL CALL
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 08:46:30 am »
i heard the first part was some cheesy house music.
(_|_)

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:39 am »
he did play "This Is What You Came For" by Calvin Harris (and TSwift uncredited), feat. Rihanna....I assumed he had something to do with that song...but I couldn't find a connection

TBT...all his stuff is kinda cheesy
slack

hutch

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »
i thought moroder was a lot of fun but it was basically just seeing him up there pushing very few buttons i felt going through the greatest "hits" he was involved with while a video played related motion pictures and he sipped water.. ie,videos of donna summer or say tom cruise riding his motorcycle and macking with kelly mcgillis to you take my breath away.. some of the songs were a bit modernized with more of a thumping beat.....the music had an euophoric quality as trance does.. at the beginning  it seemed a bit like a bust to me but the crowd got into (a lot of people got their gay on which liberated everyone) it and by the time the first half hour was through everyone was dancing having a  blast..ocassinally giorgio would make comments with his thick italian accent or spur the crowd to chant classic bits..  he referred to the two french astronauts (or was it aliens? i forget).. then he played a shortened instrumental track to the daft punk collaboration.. i really was wishing he had justread his storry which is so cool

giorgio is 77 so allowances have to be made.. he looked better than my parents or in laws who are all younger and he was a real charmer when we got backstage....

i did not hear The Number one Song in Heaven by Sparks/Moroder which was a bummer for me..

consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to see the man. pretty sure i won't get it again. we went to the satellite room after the show and it was good to see so many boardies... sideofbacon even bought me a beer...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:13:37 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:32 pm »
It was almost all cheesy progressive house/trance remixes with a few exceptions.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:51 pm »
It was almost all cheesy progressive house/trance remixes with a few exceptions.

many people consider trance to be cheezy.. if you do then its all cheezy cause trance was his bread and butter.. he built on what Kraftwerk had done and mainstreamed into disco via the munich sound (a small cadre of people he worked with in Munich... people like Keith Forsey [went on to mega bucks producing Billy Idol of all people...], Donna Summer, etc.)...when people decided overnight that disco was bullshit and they suddenly hated all the music they had been buying by the boatload (reminds one of what happened with Nirvana in 1991...I find it distasteful how easily people run away from their own tastes) Moroder was so talented he transitioned into Hollywood soundtrack work and became more of a pop writer winning the best record grammy both in 1983 and 1986.. 1983 with the still disco-y to me flashdance (irene cara was just the new donna summer and instead of dancing disco she was doing aerobic or something... new packaging but same product) and 1986 with the by then purely pop you take my breath away...i wouldn't call the version he played at the club either trance or house..it was simply the original with a thumping techno beat .. you know doosh doosh doosh doosh .. :)

i don't consider trance cheezy myself...underworld recorded a bunch of trance very moroder-ish... to me it is not cheezy but YMMV...