Author Topic: the human/computer interface thread (monitors, desktop setup, etc.)  (Read 4383 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
since a good number of spend our daze starring at computers, this is a thread to discuss (and kvetch about) our interface to the digital world...

I have my desktop monitor in portrait mode. I will always work this way.
when I managed the service desk, there was always a very long list of open items
I always had one 27inch monitor in portrait mode as I could see like 50 open issues on one page (vs 15 in landscape)

but I am fond of landscape for everything else

i have two side-by-side monitors, both in landscape and horizontally aligned (left and right screen, with the left screen .  i'm often comparing email, spreadsheet, and a browser or three.  portrait would not work for me, but that's probably in large part due to habit.

much to julian's dismay, i belong to the cult of the taskbar-on-top.  yes, my start menu is at the upper left.  i couldn't imagine working any other way.  this puts all my menus - both application and system - in one area.  none of this "click the taskbar at the bottom to switch to program, mouse to top of screen to select program menu, click at bottom of screen to switch back to other program...".  mind you i do a lot of that with keystrokes anyways, but when i do need a menu i don't want to be mousing back and forth all over the screen.  <cue up jules' vapors>
<sig>

hutch

Re: the human/computer interface thread (monitors, desktop setup, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
I am looking at two monitors at the present time.. both connected to my computer.. this way i can turn my head to the right and still see what is being typed immediately in front of me.. its weird.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »
I have my desktop monitor in portrait mode. I will always work this way.
when I managed the service desk, there was always a very long list of open items
I always had one 27inch monitor in portrait mode as I could see like 50 open issues on one page (vs 15 in landscape)

but I am fond of landscape for everything else
I have always positioned them in landscape but now that I'm reading this, the rightmost of my three I'm considering putting portrait mode because I have something I'm in and out of all day that'd display perfectly in portrait.

3 monitors?

always trying to one-up us...
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »

Spotify Monitor
4-Um Monitor
Email Monitor
Separate computer for atomic account

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 04:22:44 pm »

Spotify Monitor
4-Um Monitor
Email Monitor
Unless your mouse can cross from screen to screen across all four, this is just clutter and I award you no points.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »

Spotify Monitor
4-Um Monitor
Email Monitor
Unless your mouse can cross from screen to screen across all four, this is just clutter and I award you no points.

Pfffft...come on now Jules, the first three are tied together minus the atomic computer.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:24:51 pm »
much to julian's dismay, i belong to the cult of the taskbar-on-top.  yes, my start menu is at the upper left.  i couldn't imagine working any other way.  this puts all my menus - both application and system - in one area.  none of this "click the taskbar at the bottom to switch to program, mouse to top of screen to select program menu, click at bottom of screen to switch back to other program...".  mind you i do a lot of that with keystrokes anyways, but when i do need a menu i don't want to be mousing back and forth all over the screen.  <cue up jules' vapors>
All joking aside, this chills me to the bone and makes me question our friendship you sick freak.

3 monitors?
One for Outlook, one for monitoring the IT ticketing system, one for general RDP/whatever I'm actually doing.
LVMH

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »
Pfffft...come on now Jules, the first three are tied together minus the atomic computer.
Then you have three monitors and a spare ass laptop. I can pull my laptop out too and set it near my desktop, it doesn't make it 4 monitors; its two systems.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »
Then you have three monitors and a spare ass laptop. I can pull my laptop out too and set it near my desktop, it doesn't make it 4 monitors; its two systems.

I never said it wasn't a separate system...

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »

OK, I have two more unplugged monitors in my office's closet. Do I have five monitors?
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 04:36:25 pm »

OK, I have two more unplugged monitors in my office's closet. Do I have five monitors?

"since a good number of spend our daze starring at computers, this is a thread to discuss (and kvetch about) our interface to the digital world..."

As of today, this is my set up... brah. 99% of the time, I don't have that spare.

hutch

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »
So who has the biggest ?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:26 pm »

Maybe these guys can weigh in on this.
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
My second monitor is a ceiling mounted projector + a 96-inch screen.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:13 am »

Forum view on a portrait monitor...