Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Fashion Faux Pas Thread  (Read 10066 times)

Kemosabe

The OFFICIAL Fashion Faux Pas Thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
This topic has been touched upon in other threads and needed a home of its own.

Already mentioned:
Pleated pants
Cargo Shorts
Crocs
Fanny Packs

rich_WDC

Re: The OFFICIAL Fashion Faux Pas Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:02:51 pm »
What is the current correct style for men's socks, with shorts and sneakers?
White socks only or any color?  Ankle, barely-visible above shoe, or up a bit on calf? 

ggw

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:06:02 pm »
Pleated pants
Cargo Shorts
Crocs
Fanny Packs

The James Ford Italian Vacation Packing List

ggw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 01:06:55 pm »
What is the current correct style for men's socks, with shorts and sneakers?
White socks only or any color?  Ankle, barely-visible above shoe, or up a bit on calf?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/fashion/mens-style/black-socks-shorts-trend.html

Kemosabe

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:08 pm »
I would take that article's advice with a grain of salt.  SURE, some article is saying that it is fashionable now, but I doubt that trend lasts long.  I would never wear long socks with shorts and sneakers.  Black socks are fine, if your sneakers are black or white.   

“You have to have a bit of an attitude to pull it off,” he said. “But I think it’s something that can be easily done by anyone.”

Do YOU have TUDE, dude?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:25:12 pm »
Wearing anything but Wimbledon whites while playing tennis.
LVMH

Kemosabe

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
Hmmm, really Gucci?
http://www.gq.com/gallery/gucci-cruise-2018-menswear-collection-look-book

There is no reason for that shorts/sweater/socks/shoes combination to ever be worn by the general public.

herman otto

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:01:56 pm »
Can, somebody explain to me for real, why wearing cargo shorts in 2017 as a bad idea.

Space Freely

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:03:18 pm »
Can, somebody explain to me for real, why wearing cargo shorts in 2017 as a bad idea.

It's not. But if you've got nice legs, go with something shorter.

Space Freely

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 02:05:32 pm »
When I was in Italy very recently, I went for a ferry ride on Lake Garda and there was a fat middle aged woman wearing a t-shirt that said "Fat Face". Surely, she was someone who did not speak English. But alas, it's also a clothing company. I'm still going to say that for her it was a faux pas.

http://us.fatface.com/

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:10:33 pm »
When I was in Italy very recently,
It's the middle of the fucking day. I need this job!

*drinks*
LVMH

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 02:11:06 pm »
Hmmm, really Gucci?
http://www.gq.com/gallery/gucci-cruise-2018-menswear-collection-look-book

There is no reason for that shorts/sweater/socks/shoes combination to ever be worn by the general public.
I don't like the shoes or jewlery but those shorts and that sweater are fantastic.
LVMH

Kemosabe

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:14:37 pm »
This article breaks it down...
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-no-man-should-wear-cargo-shorts-2017-5

The first issue: A gentleman does not wear shorts that cover the knees. Some claim that a gentleman never wears shorts at all. We wouldn't go that far, but if you're covering your knees, you're not bold enough to be a man in shorts in the first place.

Most (all) cargo shorts are at least 11 or 12 inches long, which will cover the knees and create a silly, imbalanced look that pretty much ruins the whole point of wearing shorts to begin with.

The second issue: The actual cargo pockets themselves are unflattering.

What are you even putting in those pockets? You're most likely not a carpenter building a dresser in your spare time. You don't need space for measuring tape.

If you think you need those pockets, let me ask you this: Why is a four-pocket pant fine most of the time, but a four-pocket short isn't?

If you're still looking for places to keep extra items, there's always the possibility of carrying a bag with you. You know, like everyone else does. If the only issue was a few extra pockets, that would be one thing. But the extra pockets also add considerable weight and bulk to the shorts, dragging them down further from your hips.

Cargo shorts also completely ruin any balanced silhouette you might have. Balance is very important in dressing properly. Picture wearing a blazer with shorts. You wouldn't do it, right? That's because it creates an imbalanced look, where your top half is crushing your bottom half.

The same goes for wearing bulky cargo shorts with a casual t-shirt. The bottom half flares out, making you look imbalanced. This creates a juvenile look no matter how old you actually are.

But there is a solution! It goes by the name chino shorts. They're pocket-less, generally shorter, and just all-around slimmer and more flattering. And they're not any less comfortable, either.

Kemosabe

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:15:17 pm »
I don't like the shoes or jewlery but those shorts and that sweater are fantastic.
Yeah, I would definitely rock that sweater this fall and those shorts right now...

herman otto

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »
This article breaks it down...
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-no-man-should-wear-cargo-shorts-2017-5

The first issue: A gentleman does not wear shorts that cover the knees. Some claim that a gentleman never wears shorts at all. We wouldn't go that far, but if you're covering your knees, you're not bold enough to be a man in shorts in the first place.

Most (all) cargo shorts are at least 11 or 12 inches long, which will cover the knees and create a silly, imbalanced look that pretty much ruins the whole point of wearing shorts to begin with.

The second issue: The actual cargo pockets themselves are unflattering.

What are you even putting in those pockets? You're most likely not a carpenter building a dresser in your spare time. You don't need space for measuring tape.

If you think you need those pockets, let me ask you this: Why is a four-pocket pant fine most of the time, but a four-pocket short isn't?

If you're still looking for places to keep extra items, there's always the possibility of carrying a bag with you. You know, like everyone else does. If the only issue was a few extra pockets, that would be one thing. But the extra pockets also add considerable weight and bulk to the shorts, dragging them down further from your hips.

Cargo shorts also completely ruin any balanced silhouette you might have. Balance is very important in dressing properly. Picture wearing a blazer with shorts. You wouldn't do it, right? That's because it creates an imbalanced look, where your top half is crushing your bottom half.

The same goes for wearing bulky cargo shorts with a casual t-shirt. The bottom half flares out, making you look imbalanced. This creates a juvenile look no matter how old you actually are.

But there is a solution! It goes by the name chino shorts. They're pocket-less, generally shorter, and just all-around slimmer and more flattering. And they're not any less comfortable, either.

jesus, Christ . . . what fag wrote this?