Author Topic: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me  (Read 2940 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Is that a hydrometer in your pocket or are you just happy to see me
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:06:43 pm »
on monday, january 16 (president's day martin luther the king day), i will be brewing up 10 gallons of DIPA on my single-tier brew stand.  if anyone wants to drop by and see how it's done just send me a PM.  homebrew will be available ;D   this is likely to be the last time i brew at this house, we're selling in the spring... so, last call.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:55:09 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:14:44 am »
a homebrew amber ale

so it's ready - congrats!  how did it turn out?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »
a homebrew amber ale

so it's ready - congrats!  how did it turn out?

Um, it's top shelf. I'll let you taste it April Fool's Day. J/K.

I wasn't expecting anything great given the recipe, and indeed it isn't great compared to the other beer I currently have from Richmond, Brooklyn, Queens, and Herndon. But it's not terrible. My wife actually liked it better than Nugget Nectar when we did a side by side.

One of the bottles was a complete gusher. Wonder why? That was weird, because the other's have all seemed sort of (but not completely) flat.

Looking forward to doing a batch of something a bit more hop-forward, probably next month.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:55 pm »
Um, it's top shelf. I'll let you taste it April Fool's Day. J/K.

i want to taste it, please bring a bottle!

One of the bottles was a complete gusher. Wonder why? That was weird, because the other's have all seemed sort of (but not completely) flat.

how did you prime the bottles - add sugar to a bottling bucket?  or did you use carb drops (sugar "pills" added to each individual bottle)?

if you added sugar to the entire batch in a bucket, i strongly suspect that the sugar wasn't evenly distributed.  that gusher would be one of the last bottles you filled, i.e. from the bottom of the bottling bucket where all the sugar was.  the majority of bottles would be under-carbed because their contents came from above the sugar sludge and had less (insufficient) sugar in them.  implication: you may yet have other late-filled gushers.  solution to this problem, for next time: 1) boil the sugar in little water first (sanitizes it and gets it liquefied) and add it to the bucket before you rack (transfer) the beer in, and 2) when you rack in, get a swirl/whirlpool going by putting the end of the tube along the edge of the bucket's wall.  that should get things mixed up nice and even.  to be extra-certain, sanitize a stainless spoon and give the beer a very gentle mix once it's full, or mostly full. 

aside: avoid splashing the finished beer.  keep the end of the tube below the surface of the beer, fill from below.  after fermentation is done, you want to limit oxygen exposure as much as possible.

the other reason why you might have only one gusher (or just a few) out of an entire batch is that there was some source of infection inside that bottle, it wasn't sanitized properly, etc.  if this is what happened to you here, then you under-primed all the bottles (hence general flatness) but the one bottle with an infection got extra carbonation from a bug (brett, wild yeast, etc) that fermented the long-chain sugars that the brewer's yeast (sacc) didn't.  did you taste the gusher?  infected beers often taste very thin and/or phenolic (spicy) if not out-right bad.

now if every bottle is a gusher, then your issue is either infection acquired before bottling, or premature bottling - fermentation wasn't complete and it finished in the bottle,

and yes, i'm aware of the potential sexual innuendo here.

Looking forward to doing a batch of something a bit more hop-forward, probably next month.

cool, let me know if i can help :)  protip: if you get a kit, buy some extra hops.  add an additional ounce or two at the end of the boil, and another 1-2 extra ounces to the dry-hop.  adds to the cost but it's worth it  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:02:21 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 08:50:02 pm »
Look at this cool guy. Word is he makes some great sours!

https://tinyurl.com/kt7ugjm

Space Freely

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
how did you prime the bottles - add sugar to a bottling bucket?  or did you use carb drops (sugar "pills" added to each individual bottle)?

answer to this question is the former...thanks for the detailed reply, will noe for next time!

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 12:14:25 pm »
Look at this cool guy. Word is he makes some great sours!

I've heard he's got a great wine collection....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »
in case anyone here is looking to get into homebrewing, wants to see what the local club is about, or just drink some (and possibly a lot) of homebrew.  free!

DC Homebrewers
Are you ready? Our October meeting is Tuesday, Oct. 17 at WeWork Wonder Bread in Shaw. This is for all our usual meeting attendees -- but also the perfect month to join us if you've been thinking about coming but haven't made it yet or are considering starting to homebrew. We'll have food, beer, educational info aimed at new brewers and a raffle for some beginning brewing books and supplies!
WHEN: 6:00-8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 17 (Note: This one starts earlier than usual)
WHERE: WeWork Wonder Bread Factory (641 S St. NW) in Shaw
SPECIAL NOTES: We're focusing on new members and new brewers for this meeting -- but we want all the regulars to come too! We'll have finger foods and a keg provided by WeWork in addition to the homebrew and commercial beer you all bring to share. Special educational information for new brewers -- plus you'll be entered into a raffle for some beginning brewer basics just for showing up!
PLEASE RSVP: https://dchomebrewerstakeoverevent.splashthat.com/
<sig>