Author Topic: Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live  (Read 6213 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
Totally agree about the Arctic Monkeys!   Still a good debut album.

(_|_)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27:46 pm »
I’m actually think The National are fantastic live. Did not realize I’m in a weird minority on that one.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:41 am »
I have been told that the Shins have figured it out, but the first two times I saw them they were definitely much better recorded than live.

Saw them after their first album then twice again on their second album and completely agree with you, haven't seen them since. Maybe they got better after ditching that hot girlfriend beating keyboard player Marty Crandall.

They were totally hit or miss. I saw them both nights they played at the Black Cat when the second LP came out...one night was awful, the other was terrific. But overall, I just don't really care for them anymore anyway. Their music has lost a lot of its initial allure. I still think their first LP is the best.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 08:57:15 am »
Lee Perry. He was just awful when I saw him live.

Yada

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 09:06:24 am »
I don't like them, but  one of only a couple of shows I've ever walked out during is Band of Horses at the club in probably 2006 or 2007?

hutch

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:06 am »
Back in the day Pavement was one of nny favorites...like major...but I was not impressed with the live show...GBV at the beginning sucked but now tear the roof off

analogfossa

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
I have been told that the Shins have figured it out, but the first two times I saw them they were definitely much better recorded than live.

Saw them after their first album then twice again on their second album and completely agree with you, haven't seen them since. Maybe they got better after ditching that hot girlfriend beating keyboard player Marty Crandall.
You mean this dismissed due to lack of evidence case? https://pitchfork.com/news/28368-marty-crandall-domestic-abuse-case-dismissed/

Bagley

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:59 am »
Son Volt is really boring live.

absolutely

Yada

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 10:41:59 am »
Back in the day Pavement was one of nny favorites...like major...but I was not impressed with the live show...GBV at the beginning sucked but now tear the roof off

Pavement's "reunion" tour was pretty f'n ripping. Their 90's sloppy shows were kind of their thing though. The same can be said for any Malkmus shows... really hit or miss, but always a good time IMO.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 11:01:13 am »
Interpol. For as good as their records are you're better off staying home and listening to them on your stereo rather than seeing them live. Both formats are basically identical.

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 11:53:52 am »
Son Volt is really boring live.

absolutely
that show at the 930 club supporting Trace was awesome
but seen Jay probably 2-3 times since and all have been disappointments
slack

mdphunk

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »
I loved Beach House for a while until I saw them live. They were so awful that I can't listen to their music anymore without thinking about how boring that show was.