Author Topic: Bands/Artists that are impressive live but kinda blow/are boring on record  (Read 4950 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
this is the flip-side to the "Bands/Artists that you like that are not very impressive live" thread...

- thievery corp. fits in this category for me.  their recorded sound hasn't really changed, and i can't remember the last album that did anything for me... it's been like 15 years.  but i'll catch every thievery live show that i can, never missed their 930 runs. 

- since i don't care about indie-hipster cred: cypress hill.  can't remember the last album of their that i've listened to, but i'll always catch them at a festival 'cause it's impossible not to have a good time at their shows, IMO.

- GWAR.  who listens to them outside of their live show?
<sig>

hutch

God like every jam band...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Thievery is my answer too, Sweets. The NYE show coming up is something I am greatly looking forward to. Come back to town!
LVMH

Space Freely

I saw Clutch at the 9:30 anniversary show and was very entertained. But I can't imagine ever wanting to listen to any of heir albums.

gavroche

Gogol Bordello.

Anything Go-GO

bearman🐻

Mighty Mighty Bosstones shows in the 1990's were so fun. The records weren't really as impressive.

Judging simply by official releases and bootlegs, 1960's to mid-1970's Who were better live than on any record. Not that they didn't make some damn fine records. But I'll still put on "Live at the Isle of Wight Festival" before any other LP they've ever done.

ggw

Chris Whitley. I find his recorded stuff kinda meh, but he was truly amazing live (except this one time at iota when he was falling out between songs).

gavroche

Mighty Mighty Bosstones shows in the 1990's were so fun. The records weren't really as impressive.

Judging simply by official releases and bootlegs, 1960's to mid-1970's Who were better live than on any record. Not that they didn't make some damn fine records. But I'll still put on "Live at the Isle of Wight Festival" before any other LP they've ever done.

It's cheesy now, but when it came out I really liked Ska-Core the Devil and More, and More Noise and Other Disturbances but I agree with you that the Bosstones live gig was way better than their records.  I guess it should be that way when one member of the band is a dedicated dancer.

I'd also add Dropkick Murphy's to this list.

Yada

It's cheesy now, but when it came out I really liked Ska-Core the Devil and More, and More Noise and Other Disturbances but I agree with you that the Bosstones live gig was way better than their records.  I guess it should be that way when one member of the band is a dedicated dancer.

I'd also add Dropkick Murphy's to this list.

Used to love the Bosstones as well in the early to mid 90's... I can't say those albums stand up to the test of time.

MAGA 2020

Weird Al.  Saw him once by chance and was entertained.  Don't see myself picking up an album.

Re: Bands/Artists that are impressive live but kinda blow/are boring on record
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:36 pm »
Anything Go-GO
I feel the same way about Zydeco and bluegrass
love listening them live, but have never enjoyed playing at home
slack

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 11:55:46 am »
Anything Go-GO
I feel the same way about Zydeco and bluegrass
love listening them live, but have never enjoyed playing at home

Saw Cowboy Mouth in NOLA and they were cheesy fun.

Their studio stuff is fucking atrocious.

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:26 am »
Used to love the Bosstones as well in the early to mid 90's... I can't say those albums stand up to the test of time.

Around that time I was graduating college...their shows were just so fun. It wasn't like you had to overthink it. They just had a good time, and the shows were one big party. They were actually the first band I saw when the 9:30 moved to the new location.

moeszyslak

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 10:29:48 am »
I never got into Metallica properly until I heard Live Shit: Binge & Purge.  I also tend to listen to more live Talking Heads than I do their albums, The Name Of The Band Is Talking Heads is just about all I need.  I don't think either band are boring on studio albums, but I do listen to their live albums more. 

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:41 am »
The old Shins were great live and much better than on Oh Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow. Then James took a page out of Jeff Tweedy's playbook and decided to go full corporate and mainstream and fire Jesse and Marty.