Author Topic: Locking cell phones at concerts  (Read 11354 times)

hutch

Locking cell phones at concerts
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:14 am »
Anyone heard bout this? I heard for Jack White a venue in Houston is going to require patrons to put their phone in a pouch and lock them...patron keeps their phone/pouch but can’t use it during show...I should think this would present challenges and slow down ingress...Jack White wants no picture taking etc during shows

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-01-24/us-venue-introduces-phone-locking-system-during-live-shows
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:55:51 am by hutch »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Locking cell phones at concerts
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:31:48 am »
Had to do this for Dave Chapelle. It slowed entry to a crawl.

Jack White is insisting on this for the entire tour so you add that to The Anthem's well-documented molasses speed and ticketholders need to be in line already.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:37:09 am »
Checking in 6000 phones seems like a nightmare....and there are other issues including safety...

If a venue does this they should inform people before tickets are sold...some people have to be on call for their job or family

Yada

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:38 am »
^^couple of old internet foes making nice^^

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:48 am »
^^couple of old internet foes making nice^^
When you're semi-retired, your sciatica ain't what it used to be.
LVMH

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:40:36 am »

Jack White is insisting on this for the entire tour so you add that to The Anthem's well-documented molasses speed and ticketholders need to be in line already.

Jack White is a fucking asshole. Doesn't he have student reporters to smear?

Space Freely

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:00 am »

Jack White is a fucking asshole. Doesn't he have student reporters to smear?

Plus, he's ugly. Nobody wants a picture of his ugly face anyway.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:27 am »
Honestly I don't have a problem with this, or at the very least ban photos/videos for all shows. Maybe because I'm an old crank now but when I went to the Spoon show the amount of phones out was insufferable. One dude was basically recording the entire show! I really wanted to smack it out of his hand. Like why are you even here, brah? Devices really detract from the performance when it's supposed to be about being in the moment.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:55:30 am by BrettnotBritt »

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:55 am »
Honestly I don't have a problem with this. Maybe because I'm an old crank now but when I went to the Spoon show the amount of phones out was insufferable. One dude was basically recording the entire show! I really wanted to smack it out of his hand. Like why are you even here, brah? Devices really detract from the performance when it's supposed to be about being in the moment.
I don't take a bunch of photos (or any video) at concerts but I don't understand this take. What is insufferable is people telling other people how to enjoy an event they spent their hard-earned money to attend. This just in: people find enjoyment in slightly different things!
LVMH

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:59:45 am »
Honestly I don't have a problem with this. Maybe because I'm an old crank now but when I went to the Spoon show the amount of phones out was insufferable. One dude was basically recording the entire show! I really wanted to smack it out of his hand. Like why are you even here, brah? Devices really detract from the performance when it's supposed to be about being in the moment.
I don't take a bunch of photos (or any video) at concerts but I don't understand this take. What is insufferable is people telling other people how to enjoy an event they spent their hard-earned money to attend. This just in: people find enjoyment in slightly different things!

So do I! But when you're around a bunch of people on the floor taking photos/videos *the entire time* it gets rather annoying. You're trying to see the performance up onstage but when your sightline gets blocked because of someone taking their 30th snap it becomes a bit much. Take a few shots and enjoy the damn show.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »
But when you're around a bunch of people on the floor taking photos/videos *the entire time* it gets rather annoying. You're trying to see the performance up onstage but when your sightline gets blocked because of someone taking their 30th snap it becomes a bit much.
This is where we differ. I have never found this behavior particularly annoying. Perhaps I'm just tall enough that it doesn't block my sightline, I dunno.

At Thievery, come jagoff in the row behind us literally yelled at this dude next to us "your phone sucks! Try enjoying the show!" and I couldn't help but thinking "no, you suck. Try focusing on the show, not other people, jackass."
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:45:52 pm »
But when you're around a bunch of people on the floor taking photos/videos *the entire time* it gets rather annoying. You're trying to see the performance up onstage but when your sightline gets blocked because of someone taking their 30th snap it becomes a bit much.
This is where we differ. I have never found this behavior particularly annoying. Perhaps I'm just tall enough that it doesn't block my sightline, I dunno.

At Thievery, come jagoff in the row behind us literally yelled at this dude next to us "your phone sucks! Try enjoying the show!" and I couldn't help but thinking "no, you suck. Try focusing on the show, not other people, jackass."

Seriously, let these people film hours of a show so they can rewatch at home on their device!!!!  ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:49:40 pm »
Seriously, let these people film hours of a show so they can rewatch at home on their device!!!!  ::) ::) ::)
The fact that you and I find something stupid does not elevate it to the level of unacceptable behavior.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
Almost nobody got a pic much less video at Bob Dylan which is why I think “locking” phones is unecessary

hutch

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
But then again a younger crowd will be more likely to try to take pictures....