Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Canada...  (Read 79267 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Meanwhile, in Canada...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 05:09:53 pm »
First off, not a mountie.

correct, looks like an OPP officer.  mounties are national, and in many remote locations (AKA most of the country) the only police force, but there are provincial and municipal police forces as well.

Second, why would a Canadian cop be wearing a bulletproof vest with all the wonderful Canadian gun policies you tout?

for protection from stray americans.

Smackie calls BS.  I immediately call for you to extend your visit to SF so that we can see the new Super Troopers together. 

i would LOVE to, but i'd need to extend my visit by 3 or 4 days... movie opens on 4/20. 
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 05:47:59 pm »
looks like an OPP officer. 

Wait, Canadians aren't down with OPP?  So much so that they need officers?  That's not very friendly...

for protection from stray americans.

I see - Canadians think every American is a gun-toting jack-ass, much the way 45 thinks every Mexican is a raping murderer.  That's not better.

i would LOVE to, but i'd need to extend my visit by 3 or 4 days... movie opens on 4/20. 

Oh, I'm well aware and I've already worked it out with the Mrs., who BTW, absolutely LOATHES Super Troopers with a passion like it was a bad date with an ex-boyfriend, because it was. And he was a Trooper. Great story, be sure to ask her!
27>34

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 08:23:04 am »
looks like an OPP officer. 
Wait, Canadians aren't down with OPP? 
yeah, you know me

much the way 45 thinks every Mexican is a raping murderer.
get yer facts straight a drug dealing raping murderer!

and this
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:12:05 am by realDavidDennison »
slack

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:37 pm »

Yes it's coming July 1st...get ready for a throw down
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 05:46:28 pm »
Can’t wait to see what aging former Red Wing they bring back this year! Will it be Vanek? Filppula? It’s a Canada Day tradition. 🇨🇦
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 06:59:47 pm »
Meanwhile, in Edmonton.....

Two missing ceiling tiles and a slightly bent metal shelf are the only signs left behind after an eventful arrest at a Spruce Grove convenience store two days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTXqIHxK0g

I'm quite certain the police officers were saying "sorry, sorry" the entire time....
27>34

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 09:43:31 am »
This is funny for a lot of reasons
but the line : Music too Canadian
as a reason for calling a lawyer is just about the funniest thing I've heard all week

although this line is pretty good too:
The lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 01:58:01 pm »
75 Car Pile Up Outside Of Montreal And A Hockey Game Breaks Out…Only In Canada.
http://fx1019.ca/blog/75-car-pile-up-outside-of-montreal-and-a-hockey-game-brakes-out-only-in-canada/
<sig>

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 06:11:24 pm »
Ok...can someone explain what is the scandal?
I listened to a commentary for 20 mins last night on NPR and still couldn't figure out what the hell was going on?
slack

hutch

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:18 pm »
As I understand it he did the equivalent of our president pressuring the justice department regarding some company

Azaghal was up in arms about it on Twitter saying he never understood people calling Trudeau a progressive and he never met a pipeline he didn’t like

Our resident Canadian will set us straight I hope

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:43 pm »
Ok...can someone explain what is the scandal?
I listened to a commentary for 20 mins last night on NPR and still couldn't figure out what the hell was going on?

Look, it's Canada.  Anytime you don't say please, thank you or apologize it's a scandal.

Butts Out
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 09:02:55 pm »
*sigh*...

SNC-Lavalin is a big construction contractor.  they had contracts in libya, 2001-2011, that were supposedly won based on bribes they gave to libyan officials (including Qaddafi).  SNC has been under investigation for those bribes.  the government could either go big and prosecute in criminal court, possibly bankrupting the company; or pursue a negotiated settlement - which is what SNC wanted, given that it's faster, cheaper, and no one goes to jail.  the attorney general rejected the request for negotiations and started a criminal investigation.

the scandal is that the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) tried to intervene.  they tried to influence/pressure the AG and get her to go with a negotiated settlement.  just like in the US, the AG is supposed to be independent.  if the president or PM puts pressure on the AG = obstruction of justice.  SNC is based in Montreal, where Trudeau's home riding (district) is, so part of the message was "don't kill SNC because it's bad for my future election prospects".   apparently SNC did a ton of lobbying immediately after Trudeau was elected... and the law that allows the government to negotiate instead of investigate was enacted by the Trudeau government, leading some to say that it was created specifically to protect SNC.  lately, a bunch of ministers have been resigning to distance themselves from this developing scandal.  with each resignation, it's looking worse and worse for JT.

my un-hot take: JT done effed up.  it was illegal.  that being said, he is being held to an unfairly high standard.  if you look at the previous government (Harper), this SNC scandal is a drop in the bucket.  but because JT rode in on a high horse but didn't stick the landing 100%, he's now being dragged through the mud.  might cost him the upcoming election.  so for one (very bad) infraction, JT might be kicked out and replaced with something much worse - but that worse replacement isn't held to the same standards, so the bad shit they'll do will be swept under the rug just like with Harper.

analogy: after 4 horrible years of trump, someone like O'Rourke is elected.  he starts to right the ship, but after 3 years it is discovered that he tried to influence his AG in an illegal way.  despite it being his first scandal (vs. Trump's dozens of scandals over the same period), because he sold himself as righteous he gets crucified.  in retaliation, the voting public elects another trump in the next election... and will ignore that despot's dozens of scandals.  how enlightened.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:31 pm »
But how many people in Canada could identify members of Let’s Active from a photograph?
LVMH

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 10:32:40 pm »
*sigh*...
thanks, very cogent description of things

Look, it's Canada.  Anytime you don't say please, thank you or apologize it's a scandal.
well played, kinda lobbed it to ya, but sent it to the bleachers
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:49 pm »
this post captures my feelings on the SNC thing:

<sig>