Author Topic: "Hope Of The States" Fatality  (Read 2027 times)

Dr. Anton Phibes

"Hope Of The States" Fatality
« on: January 15, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
Guitarist found hanged at studio
 Thursday, January 15, 2004 Posted: 11:02 AM EST (1602 GMT)

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A guitarist with rising British rockers Hope of the States has been found hanged at an English recording studio.

Police said James Lawrence, 26, was discovered by bandmates hanging from roof timbers at the Real World Studios near Bath, western England, early Thursday. The studio complex in the western English countryside is owned by Peter Gabriel, former singer with Genesis.

Wiltshire police said his body had been discovered by other members of the group.

"In spite of attempts by ambulance staff Mr. Lawrence was pronounced dead at the scene by a local doctor," said the police, They added they were not treating his death as suspicious.

The six-piece band, from the southern English town of Chichester, were at Real World recording their debut album, due for release in the spring after months spent recording in Russia and then Ireland.

The group had a top 40 hit in Britain with "Enemies/Friends" and recently signed to Sony imprint Seeker after what was described by the NME.com Web site as an "an intense bidding war."

The band, led by singer Sam Herlihy, had recently performed on BBC's "Top of the Pops" and were due to play at the NME awards at the London Astoria next month.

The state-of-the-art Real World studios are a firm favorite with many in the industry and have been used by everyone from Kylie Minogue to the Stereophonics.

They are set in idyllic surroundings with panoramic views and water features.

A studio spokesman said Lawrence's family were too upset and shocked to comment but a statement from the studio and record company was expected later Thursday.

mankie

Re: "Hope Of The States" Fatality
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 03:33:00 pm »
FYI Doodles,

timbers = wooden beams.

Guiny

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 07:48:00 pm »
This should be a huge loss in the music world   :roll:

Yank

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:22:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  FYI Doodles,

timbers = wooden beams.
Well shiver me timbers Mankie!  Thanks for clearing that up.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 10:35:00 pm »
This was very upsetting news to me and some of my friends as we've been into this band for well over a year and a half now and have been very much looking forward to their upcoming album.

A good friend of mine in the UK posted this on his website yesterday. It's pretty haunting.

"i can't believe it...

jimmi was posting some weird depressing shit on the hope of the states board at around 4.30am yesterday or today aswell.

fuckinell. i noticed that the board has been taken down. fuck. all the band posted on that board, including jimmi.

talk about shocking."