Author Topic: Books  (Read 46127 times)

Bagley

Re: Books
« Reply #360 on: December 18, 2017, 01:32:34 pm »
Short list entries are out for the Man Booker Prize.   Loved the Auster book.  Anyone read the others?         http://themanbookerprize.com/news/man-booker-prize-announces-2017-shortlist                                                                                                 

Just finished Exit West.  I liked it a great deal - 8.5/10.  I am a fan of Hamid's writing style.  He's got this sort of sparse but elegant stream-of-consciousness thing going on.  Just like he did in the Reluctant Fundamentalist, he's able to take a really heavy topic and spin a very intimate, relatable yarn around it.  I think magical realism has become an overused device in recent years, but it works in this book.

Thanks, I'll check my local library for that one

Thanks GGW-  Enjoyed Exit West, Reluctant Fundamentalist (how's the movie?) and Moth Smoke.

Read Hari Kunzru's White Tears recently, also very good

Picked up the Sympathizer and ordered Sticky Fingers- the Jann Wenner thing
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:35:46 pm by Bagley »

lily1

« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2017, 12:24:22 am »
I'm giving Sticky Fingers to my brother in law for Christmas.

And I just ordered Personal History and The Naughty Nineties for a friend. I loved the former, I learned so much that I didn't know about DC and the Post in the 70's, and I've been meaning to read the latter.

hutch

« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:29 pm »
Reading The Life of John Hay Volume 1 by William Roscoe Thayer first published 1915...this copy is from 1916

ggw

« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:27 am »
Short list entries are out for the Man Booker Prize.   Loved the Auster book.  Anyone read the others?         http://themanbookerprize.com/news/man-booker-prize-announces-2017-shortlist                                                                                                 

Finished History of Wolves over the weekend.  I would easily give it a 9.5/10; it's just so well written.  There are no gimmicks or clever literary devices - there is very little "action" at all (in the external world).  There is one big plot event, but it doesn't come until well into the second half of the book.  All the activity occurs in the thoughts, feelings, and growth of the main character and it is all beautifully rendered.  It's not so much a page-turner as it is the kind of book where I stopped to savor or reread passages, either because the metaphors were so brilliant or because the prose was simply stunning. 

SpaceForceHatch ☣ ☢ ☠

• Lorem Ipsum
    • insta photo
« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2018, 08:27:11 am »

just into the first few chapters, but an engrossing read
any UDV church members on the board
LAMF

K8teebug

« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:13 am »
Michael Pollan in general annoys me. Is this as preachy and privileged as all of his food books?

Just finished The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer and loved it. Better than The Interestings.