Author Topic: Books  (Read 164576 times)

hutch

Re: Books
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:23 pm »
I been reading a ton lately.... my current book which I will finish tonight unless I do what I should and go to bed is Buddy Guy's autobiography When I Left Home..

I'm really enjoying it...Buddy's stories about Mud, Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Junior Wells, Little Walter, Chess, the Stones etc... are just wonderful.....its a real easy read.. I think the book could have been a lot longer...also could have used a proofread before publishing but I'm loving it... also , now I understand Buddy Guy's live show a bit more.... I never realized he had sort of pioneered that bit about playing his guitar while walking around the club way back in the 1950s....yes he did get it from Lightnin' Slim but still...

making me hungry to see him when he rolls by the State Theatre again..even thoughthe show will be the same as always....a bit too much talking, too many stories etc... but boy I love his sound when he jams

while reading it i been listening to a cd of some sides he cut in the 60s for Chess.... stuff that went ignored at the time but its pretty killer....

hutch

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 10:42:42 am »
Let it come down by Paul Bowles

I found it pretty amazing...certainly a better book for me than the sheltering sky

he's about the only beat writer I can stomach.... is he a beat writer? does it matter?

I want to read hiis other two novels.. I know i have one with all his short stories somewhere around here..

it did make me want to smoke some kif bad...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 11:34:54 am »
has anybody read the original dune?  it is my next adventure . . . but people tell me it is so darn difficult to truly comprehend at complete enjoyment, as if the intelligence requirements outweigh the acceptance you are fully understanding what you are reading.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:40:28 am by walkonby »

Hexenjagd

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
The Dune series is great.  I love the core series, and also the expanded universe stuff his son helped write based off of his notes. 

And no, it is not difficult to comprehend.  What it is, is one of the greatest Sci-Fi sagas, that takes the reader across space over a span of thousands of years.  It is a series about religion (especially as using religion as propaganda/population control), science, Giant sandworms, Messiah...

It is easy to get into if you love sci fi.

It is also one of the only series I will DEFINITELY reread over the next few years.

atomic

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
The Dune series is great.  I love the core series, and also the expanded universe stuff his son helped write based off of his notes. 

And no, it is not difficult to comprehend.  What it is, is one of the greatest Sci-Fi sagas, that takes the reader across space over a span of thousands of years.  It is a series about religion (especially as using religion as propaganda/population control), science, Giant sandworms, Messiah...

It is also one of the only series I will DEFINITELY reread over the next few years.

Doesn't this belong in the geek thread?  I mean I come here to discuss books and it is like "No!!!".

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:33 pm »

Doesn't this belong in the geek thread?  I mean I come here to discuss books and it is like "No!!!".
To be fair, it IS a book and not a graphic novel, and they have been pretty good about keeping their nerdcrap in the nerdcrap thread. Fair play as posted.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »
I'm reading this book.

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World

http://www.amazon.com/The-Geography-Bliss-Grumps-Happiest/dp/044669889X

It's a fun read, so far.

K8teebug

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »
I'm reading Five Days at Memorial.  It's a really tough read, but a book worth reading.  Crazy what happened.

My favorite book of last year was The Goldfinch.  Loved it.  One of the best books I've read in a while.

I also enjoyed Where'd You Go, Bernadette?  Just as a light fun read!

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
My favorite book of last year was The Goldfinch.  Loved it.  One of the best books I've read in a while.
I just finished this two days ago. Hadn't heard of it until it won the Pulitzer. Really good.

Enon by Paul Harding was my fav 2013 work of fiction, but they'll never award consecutive Pulitzers to a fiction author. 
LVMH

Hexenjagd

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »
Well, it is a book series.  If we were talking about the movie, mini-series, or video games; those would have been more appropriate for the nerd thread. 

Have you never read Dune atomic?  You are missing out.

(my favorite of the book covers)

Dune, like a lot of literature, has aged well.  I would much rather read an old book, than watch an old movie.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:00:22 pm by Hexenjagd »

James Ford

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »
I'm not familiar with Dune but is it more evidence that you're really 12?

Hexenjagd

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »
It is not a children's book series. You admit you know nothing about it, so why make the assumption that it is for children and that I must be a child?

ggw

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 10:06:34 pm »
Finishing this:

Starting this:

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 10:27:04 pm »

Starting this:

There was a Talk Of The Town piece in this weeks New Yorker about him. It's on my non-fiction pile; let me know how it is when you finish.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 11:45:03 pm »
yeah also covered on NPR..its the IT book right now....apparently it all came together based on one of Balzac's novels..

I can live with that..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:58:04 pm by hutch »