Author Topic: Books  (Read 164574 times)

James Ford

Re: Books
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2014, 10:41:45 am »
When do you guys who read four hours a day and also watch tv five hours a day have time to cook dinner? Sleep? Have a girlfriend?

It doesn't compute!  :o

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
When do you guys who read four hours a day and also watch tv five hours a day have time to cook dinner? Sleep? Have a girlfriend?

It doesn't compute!  :o
According to this thread's tracking of it, I've read 7.5 books in 3 months, to the very day. (This is also during the summer which is when most TV programs are on hiatus, and therefore I don't have 5 hours of programming -- apparently -- to watch daily.) I don't know how quickly you read, but for the average person, that doesn't work out to 4 hours per day. Perhaps you have a learning disability?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:58:30 am by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »
I bought Wind-Up Bird and Kafka On the Shore over the weekend. Finished Wind-Up Bird already and about halfway thru Kafka (which I think is the better of the two so far). Might try reading 1Q84 before the "new" one comes out next month.

I also liked Kafka on the Shore best.  1Q84 is very good as well, although it could have been a tad shorter.

I turned up reading all three of those, Colorless, Hardboiled Wonderland, and Sputnik Sweetheart. I really enjoyed them all.

You've got to read South of the Border, West of the Sun

shemptiness

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2014, 06:29:17 pm »
I envy those of you who not only have the ability to read in the common sense of the word but more so are not stricken with dyslexia as badly as I am and thus just cannot read.  The last book I read was the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which I read while I was in the Marine Corps from 77-81.  It took me the entire four years to finish.  Quite a labor.  How the hell I made it through four years of college I'll never know.  The one book I have always wanted to read (made it about ½ way through chapter 1 a few times) is One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. 
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »
The last book I read was the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which I read while I was in the Marine Corps from 77-81.  It took me the entire four years to finish. 

this explains oh so much....

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2014, 08:14:04 pm »
The last book I read was the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which I read while I was in the Marine Corps from 77-81.  It took me the entire four years to finish. 

Yep it does.  It explains that reading disabilities can be overcome! And to think, I did not lean on a gubmint handout to make me better either.  :)
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2014, 10:50:51 pm »
Last book I read was Rod Stewart's autobiography...

quite interesting.. I have to say much like his career its pretty good til about 1975...

I was curious if he would admit to stealing Jorge Ben's Taj Mahal for the music of if ya think i'm sexy or whatever that hideous song is called....He does...

but about 1975 or when he moves to LA the book begins to be all about the blondes and hardly at all about the music....boring....

hutch

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:41 pm »

Yep it does.  It explains that reading disabilities can be overcome! And to think, I did not lean on a gubmint handout to make me better either.  :)

it explains your ignorance is what it does...

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2014, 12:00:02 am »

Me thinks you need to do a bit of research into the meaning of certain words.  In actuality though, reading is not the only way to gain knowledge, in fact it could be argued that it is one of the poorest ways depending on the reader.  Nighty night.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #115 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:41 am »

Me thinks you need to do a bit of research into the meaning of certain words.  In actuality though, reading is not the only way to gain knowledge, in fact it could be argued that it is one of the poorest ways depending on the reader.  Nighty night.

you're right man...listening to rush limbaugh is the way..

what are you talking about? Reading is bad now?

I cannot believe you just wrote that you haven't read a book since 1981.....wow...just wow

hutch

« Reply #116 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:46 am »
and Ratbastard..if you haven't read a book since 1981 this is the wrong thread for you man..

how about you start a thread for cruises or something?

K8teebug

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2014, 08:53:43 am »
My husband and I are reading Station Eleven right now. So far, so good. I'm a sucker for a good dystopia.

hutch

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:10 pm »
I've had copies of this book for years but finally got around to it...Ian McEwan's "Saturday"

boy..its a tour de force....

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »

you're right man...listening to rush limbaugh is the way..

what are you talking about? Reading is bad now?

I cannot believe you just wrote that you haven't read a book since 1981.....wow...just wow

I'll let you figure out what fallacy of logic you just committed in that (poor) line of reasoning (particularly the 2nd line).  But I'm not one that enjoys reading for pleasure.  There are a lot of people who don't.
FUKIT