Author Topic: Books  (Read 164468 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Books
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2016, 10:49:41 am »
I'm a divorced, bald 45 year old shadow of a man.
Divorced? What was all that "my wife never puts out" business you were going on abo-- ohhhhhhhhhhh. . .
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »
as a rule-with exceptions- I'm not a fan of novels from the "get paid by the word" (serialized) period of literature....some of these books just go on and on and on and on...it feels like they had to drag them out as long as they could.. kind of like a Latin American soap opera or something.. but I admire anyone who can get through these things....I am embarassed never to have finished some classics even though I seem to recall having passed English without reading them
I get that if you're talking Dickens or someone whose work was actually serialized and published in a magazine and paid by the word. That was, however, assuredly not the case with War and Peace. There's a lot of long Russian novels, but unless I am gravely mistaken, none of them were serialized releases; that was a uniquely English thing at that time.

well serializing of works was very popular in the second half of the 19th century.. mademe bovary was serialized, brothers karamazov, anna karenina and even war and peace (in an earlier form) were all serialized..

hutch

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2016, 02:43:27 pm »
forgot to replace the periods with commas.. my bad.. habit..

« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
as a rule-with exceptions- I'm not a fan of novels from the "get paid by the word" (serialized) period of literature....some of these books just go on and on and on and on...it feels like they had to drag them out as long as they could.. kind of like a Latin American soap opera or something.. but I admire anyone who can get through these things....I am embarassed never to have finished some classics even though I seem to recall having passed English without reading them
I get that if you're talking Dickens or someone whose work was actually serialized and published in a magazine and paid by the word. That was, however, assuredly not the case with War and Peace. There's a lot of long Russian novels, but unless I am gravely mistaken, none of them were serialized releases; that was a uniquely English thing at that time.

well serializing of works was very popular in the second half of the 19th century.. mademe bovary was serialized, brothers karamazov, anna karenina and even war and peace (in an earlier form) were all serialized..
I'm sure you'd agree there's a difference between, say, Great Expectations where the author was paid by the word and had a financial motivation to keep the story going on as long as possible vs Tolstoy/Dostoyevski giving portions to a periodical for printing (or David Foster Wallace/Franzen doing the same today in The New Yorker) as the book is being written. Great Expectations is long for length's sake. I never got that feeling with the Russians.
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2016, 04:00:27 pm »
What?? ??
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/10/entertainment/harry-potter-part-8-publish-summer-feat/index.html
Harry Potter is back for another round of magic, struggles with the darkness and parents.

This time, Harry's the dad, struggling with his own son.

The eighth installment of the Harry Potter series, the two-part play, "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child," will be published as a book this summer, author J.K Rowling announced on her Pottermore website Wednesday.

« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2016, 04:02:05 pm »
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »

Relaxer

« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2016, 04:04:00 pm »
It's interesting to me that she's re-visiting a world that she'd ended neatly and nicely. I mean, she just published an adult fiction book and it was a big hit! I don't know why she feels the need to go back to this trough again so quickly. Yes, of course, $$$ but A) she's already got a lot of it, and B) she appeared to be en route to making $$$ with a new line of books.
oword

killsaly

« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »
She loves the characters and the world she created.

« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2016, 04:05:49 pm »
She loves the characters and the world she created.
Can we kick this over to the nerd alert thread please?
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:23 pm »
Yes, let us please cater to you.  What else do you require?

Plenty of people on here would be interested in Harry Potter, and would never click on the nerd thread, so I do not see any reason to segregate this book from any other.

« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2016, 04:09:22 pm »
I mean, I could use a gin and tonic if you're in the area. . .
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
Has anybody read "When Breath Becomes Air" By Paul Kalanithi?

The review in the Economist made it sound amazing. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:50:14 pm by vansmack »
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2016, 08:15:36 am »

Plenty of people on here would be interested in Harry Potter, and would never click on the nerd thread, so I do not see any reason to segregate this book from any other.

I just got back from totally nerding out at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal for a few days (which if you haven't been there, and you're a fan, I would highly recommend.) So, this is great news!

hutch

« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2016, 01:23:35 am »
I need help...this has been an outstanding matter for a few years..

you know that book Night by Elie Wiesel?

a different edition was originally published in 1955 or 1956 in Argentina through the Polish Yddish Labor Union... It was a much longer and different work.. its in yddish which is a bitch as i don't speak that obviously.. but i want to get a copy of it and try as i try i just can't find it.. obviously its a very rare book...it was part of a series of like 150 book of jews remembering the holocaust..

there is some controversy regarding the book but i'm not interested in dredging that up

any ideas where i could find the book? here is the info.. I have never seen it anywhere alhtough I have seen a picture... often the short different "Night" is listed when you search for Un di velt hot geshvign (someting like "and the world slept")..

Un di velt hot geshvign.

Author:   Elie Wiesel
Publisher:   Buenos Ayres, Tsentral-Farband fun Poylishe Yidn in Argentine, 716, 1956.
Series:   Poylishe Yidnṭum, bd. 117.
Edition/Format:      Print book : Biography : YiddishView all editions and formats
Database:   WorldCat

some list the author as Eliezer Wiesel

and more of the basic info:

1954: Un di Velt Hot Geshvign
Wiesel wrote in 1979 that he kept his story to himself for ten years. In 1954 he wanted to interview the French prime minister, Pierre Mendès-France, and approached the novelist François Mauriac, a friend of Mendès-France, for an introduction.[39] He writes: "The problem was that [Mauriac] was in love with Jesus. He was the most decent person I ever met in that field ... and he was in love with Jesus. ... Whatever I would ask ? Jesus. Finally, I said, 'What about Mendès-France?' He said that Mendès-France, like Jesus, was suffering ..."[40]

When he said Jesus again I couldn't take it, and for the only time in my life I was discourteous, which I regret to this day. I said, "Mr. Mauriac," we called him Maître, "ten years or so ago, I have seen children, hundreds of Jewish children, who suffered more than Jesus did on his cross and we do not speak about it." I felt all of a sudden so embarrassed. I closed my notebook and went to the elevator. He ran after me. He pulled me back; he sat down in his chair, and I in mine, and he began weeping. ... And then, at the end, without saying anything, he simply said, "You know, maybe you should talk about it."[40]
Wiesel started writing on board a ship to Brazil, where he had been assigned to cover Christian missionaries within Jewish communities, and by the end of the journey had completed an 862-page manuscript.[41] He was introduced on the ship to Yehudit Moretzka, a Yiddish singer travelling with Mark Turkov, a publisher of Yiddish texts. Turkov asked if he could read Wiesel's manuscript.[42] It is unclear who edited the text for publication. Wiesel wrote in All Rivers Run to the Sea (1995) that he handed Turkov his only copy and that it was never returned, but also that he (Wiesel) "cut down the original manuscript from 862 pages to the 245 of the published Yiddish edition."[43]

Turkov's Tzentral Varband fun Polishe Yidn in Argentina (Central Union of Polish Jews in Argentina) published the book in 1956 in Buenos Aires as the 245-page Un di velt hot geshvign ("And the World Remained Silent"). It was the 117th book in a 176-volume series of Yiddish memoirs of Poland and the war, Dos poylishe yidntum (Polish Jewry, 1946?1966).[44] Ruth Wisse writes that Un di Velt Hot Geshvign stood out from the rest of the series, which survivors wrote as memorials to their dead, as a "highly selective and isolating literary narrative".[45]

I don't have thousands of dollars to pay to some guy dealing in judaica... I would also note that Argentine printings tended to be and continue to be pretty shoddy so finding a copy of a book that must have had a very very limited run that is still serviceable would be doubly hard...