Author Topic: Books  (Read 166542 times)

hutch

Re: Books
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:29 am »
hmm.. maybe there is an actual copy here..

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?R=1642722

and another

http://www.queenslibrary.org/es/item/un-di-velt-hot-geshvign

maybe i will have to go to queens to make a copy...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:33:35 am by hutch »

vansmack

« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2016, 04:54:04 pm »
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2016, 08:55:41 am »
I'm about 110 pages into Petty, by Warren Zanes, a book my wife got me for Xmas. Tom has just completed the debut album with the Heartbreakers. I now know a whole lot more about Mudcrunch.

hutch

« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:52 am »
I'm about 110 pages into Petty, by Warren Zanes, a book my wife got me for Xmas. Tom has just completed the debut album with the Heartbreakers. I now know a whole lot more about Mudcrunch.

i've been getting psyched for seeing Petty and Mudcrutch at the 930... going to be great!

Relaxer

« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:04 am »

I read this. I thought it was all right though nothing really stood out about it. Maybe Tom Petty is just kinda boring. But it felt like one of those bios where this happened and then this happened and then this happened and then the end.
oword

hutch

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:41 am »
yeah I heard the book was a slog so I'm not planning on getting it..

Relaxer

« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2016, 09:21:38 am »
You wanna talk slog, how about a 854 page biography on Paul McCartney

That said, I'm liking this quite a bit and will probably finish it this weekend. I've read every book on the Beatles that I can find, so diving into this seemed a little unnecessary, but I have it a shot and it's really pretty good. Having read a bio on Ringo a few months ago, and a Lennon one before that, I like reading about the Beatles era through the perspective of just one of the members rather than a whole-group view.
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2016, 09:22:13 am »

I read this. I thought it was all right though nothing really stood out about it. Maybe Tom Petty is just kinda boring. But it felt like one of those bios where this happened and then this happened and then this happened and then the end.

Sounds a lot like my life except I'm not in Mudcrunch.

hutch

« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:05 am »
You wanna talk slog, how about a 854 page biography on Paul McCartney

That said, I'm liking this quite a bit and will probably finish it this weekend. I've read every book on the Beatles that I can find, so diving into this seemed a little unnecessary, but I have it a shot and it's really pretty good. Having read a bio on Ringo a few months ago, and a Lennon one before that, I like reading about the Beatles era through the perspective of just one of the members rather than a whole-group view.

yeah but Phillip Norman is like the authority on the Beatles isn't he? I think I read his first one on the Beatles...

Relaxer

« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2016, 09:32:38 am »
Yeah, he wrote a big bio on Lennon, which I liked a lot, and he wrote an overall Beatles book called 'Shout' which is funny because the Beatles didn't record that song or even play it very much.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2016, 11:57:26 am »
Read Zero K by DeLillo which was merely OK. Did not live up to the "his best novel since Underworld" hype that was flying around.

Also read The Secret History after hearing from multiple people that I needed to check out Tartt's two pre-Goldfinch books. It was a solid B+. Would recommend to anyone who liked Goldfinch.

Also read The Plot Against America by Roth which was a lot of fun and wildly timely with Trump being a major party candidate.

Finally got around to reading Interpreter of Maladies recently too (somehow had read all her other stuff sans the thing she actually won a Pulitzer for). So good. One of my favorite authors. She can write things that are nostalgic and sad all at once. Sorry to hear she's stopping writing in English.

About 2/3rds of the way through the new Klosterman. It's an interesting thought experiment. Enjoying it.

Next up is Vol 3 of Danielewski's The Familiar serial. Enjoyed the first two but I'm a sucker for ergodic lit.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
Anybody read The Sympathizer or All The Light We Cannot See? Trying to figure which to read first.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
I just read  Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. Nice job, Kim. Thurston is an idiot.

bob72

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »
I just read  Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon. Nice job, Kim. Thurston is an idiot.
I'm in the middle of that one. I never knew she had such ties to Hollywood and the art world even before SY existed. I love that she dated Danny Elfman in high school.

I also read Carrie Brownstein's in one sitting, but I was a bit disappointed with it. I wanted more than just S/K history, would love to know more about the relationship with Fred.
PENIS