Author Topic: Books  (Read 164540 times)

Relaxer

Re: Books
« Reply #315 on: January 25, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »
Just pulled these too off of the free book shelf. I'll definitely get into the Steve Jones one soon.

oword

Relaxer

« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2017, 01:40:11 pm »
Regarding the Spiders book, I like the rando autobios from guys who weren't the bandleader or front man. The bass player from Alice Cooper wrote his book last year and it was great! I liked seeing more of an insider's account (albeit biased) of how Alice broke up the band and went solo.

On the other hand, did I really need to spend a week reading the book by the drummer of Five Finger Death Punch? Probably?
oword

Yada

« Reply #317 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
One of my resolutions that I'm currently failing at was trying to read more books in 2017... When do you all find the majority of your time to read?

Do you have children?

What time do you go to bed?

If I'm lucky I have one, maybe two free hours a day and unfortunately reading typically falls down the priority list during that free time.

hutch

« Reply #318 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:30 pm »
i am really unhappy about steve jones not stopping by DC .. he went up to 3-4 bookstores in NYC area... did signings...

i even ordered some signed books from the strand  (they said they would get them signed but they cancelled order on me the next day.. i guess jonesy did not feel like sticking around to sign copies for the store in addition to the people there at the reading)... i was going to give one to sidehatch... back to the drawing board

too many musicians are totally skipping dc these days be it concerts or book signings...i got to write politics and prose a letter...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #319 on: January 25, 2017, 01:52:50 pm »
Y'all are aware there are books written about things other than music, right?

*sigh*
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:35 pm »
Of course. I just finished a great book about how Uber and Airbnb were created and spread around the world along with Steve Young's autobio and a great book about the Occupy Wall Street movement of a few years ago. But since this is a music-focused message board, I limited my talk to books about music.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »
As for the time thing, these are a couple factors that I'm pulling out of my ass as I type them.

I don't watch much tv apart from sports, so if there isn't a good game on and I'm home, my activity options are few. If I'm home with the kids that night, once they go to bed I have to occupy my next few hours in some way, and usually that's with a drink and a book

I also am reading several books at once, and they're stashed around the house so wherever I am, there's probably a book within reach. So I have my bathroom book, bedside table book, kitchen book, and living room book.

And also, I read books on subjects that I'm really interested in, which consists of music, sports, business, politics, culture, etc., so the prospect of, say, spending the night sipping scotch and reading a critical look at Putin's life sounds great.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:49 pm »
And also, I read books on subjects that I'm really interested in,
Chlamydia: An Oral History
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2017, 03:06:52 pm »
BOOM!

Space Freely

« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »
One of my resolutions that I'm currently failing at was trying to read more books in 2017... When do you all find the majority of your time to read?

Do you have children?

What time do you go to bed?

If I'm lucky I have one, maybe two free hours a day and unfortunately reading typically falls down the priority list during that free time.

I read on the train. 35 mins each way, five times a week.

If I weren't such a Netflix junkie, I'd have late night as well.

That said, I've been stuck on that Replacements book for quite a while.

hutch

« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2017, 08:45:26 pm »
music is my favorite thing.. so i go through periods where I read a lot of music bios but i have to say the industry has changed.. now they seem to be publishing a lot more of these books..its become a huge market (rock star memoirs)....

i think it has been said that most of them aren't that great...the worst one EVER is the Eric Crapton one... dude, he is one horrible man and I did not need to know that... of course i think he is the most overrated musician ever but his book is all about his drug use and alcoholism sobriety with a lot of stuff about how he screwed everybody over..

anthony kiedis' book is also a lot about his battle for sobriety but that one i liked.. i had no idea what an interesting childhood he had.. slash's was also interesting (his mom knew bowie really well!)...

i also liked to get the signed editions of course.. i have the bernard sumner and david j signed ones!

dean wareham's is also good...

Relaxer

« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »
I've flipped through the Kiedis one a dozen times over the years but just never pulled the trigger on buying it. I'd def read it if it was on the free shelf, but only brand new titles show up there.

Slash's was good but you know what, Duff's "It's So Easy" was GREAT. I was really impressed with it and liked it a lot. Adler's is just depressing. A pretty good about Axl is "W.A.R." by Mick Wall. Actually I"m not sure if that's the right author, I'm lazy and drinking right now so I can't be arsed.

There's a new biography on Paul Simon that is awesome too. Lots of detail on what he did before hooking up with Garfunkel, and the whole chaos of his marriage to Carrie Fisher is really entertaining. Also fun to read about a short man's struggles with hair loss  ;)
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:05 pm »
Dave Stewart's was surprisingly good. I didn't give too much of a rip about the Eurythmics, but it was fun reading about how they came together as a couple, broke up, then started a world-famous band. PLus, dude has made records with everyone, so there's a lot of good rock and roll stories from over the decades.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:15 pm »
Tonight, I am very sadly going to finish this. Just started it Sunday night but its such a compulsive read. So good and fun, I never want it to end. I could read a 2,000 page account of this era of the NFL.

oword

hutch

« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2017, 09:54:40 pm »
I'm reading James Brown's autobiography.. very good so far...it really is his voice...