Author Topic: Books  (Read 164492 times)

vansmack

Re: Books
« Reply #345 on: August 30, 2017, 01:32:59 pm »
Has anyone read the Johnny Marr autobiography Set the Boy Free?

I have it on my Kindle, hoping to read it on vacation in Oct.

Is there a US release date for England is Mine?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:35:48 pm by vansmack »
27>34

herman otto

« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
I, never realized that Piers Anthony was a borderline, pedophile.   My childhood, is now ruined.

Bagley

« Reply #347 on: September 14, 2017, 02:33:56 pm »
Short list entries are out for the Man Booker Prize.   Loved the Auster book.  Anyone read the others?         http://themanbookerprize.com/news/man-booker-prize-announces-2017-shortlist                                                                                                   

K8teebug

« Reply #348 on: September 15, 2017, 12:26:41 pm »
Have not yet read Lincoln in the Bardo, but my husband did and said it's one of the best books he's read since The Road.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2017, 12:43:02 pm »
Have not yet read Lincoln in the Bardo, but my husband did and said it's one of the best books he's read since The Road.
He's correct. Its excellent.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #350 on: October 05, 2017, 12:37:36 pm »
Kazuo Ishiguro wins Nobel

ggw

« Reply #351 on: October 11, 2017, 01:25:27 pm »
Kazuo Ishiguro wins Nobel

I really loved Never Let Me Go.  Never got around to reading Remains of the Day.  I have a collection of his short stories on my bookshelf.  I'll have to jump into that.

ggw

« Reply #352 on: October 11, 2017, 01:54:06 pm »

6.5/10

I wanted to like this book much more than I did.  Fairly or unfairly, Egan cannot escape the high expectations she set with Goon Squad.  It will forever be a foil to whatever else she pens and Manhattan Beach just doesn't measure up.  The book is a generally well written page turner that nicely captures the era (NYC before and during WWII) in which it is set.  The main characters are well-crafted and the protagonist is likeable and relatable, although I never felt a deep connection.  There are flashes of truly brilliant prose, but those shine because other times the writing really falls flat or feels like it was lifted from some Harlequin bodice-ripper.  Outside of the main characters, the others are underdeveloped.  But my biggest criticism is that whatever merits are earned by the writing, the story ends up sagging under the weight of its many contrivances.  Some plot developments are just too predictable and the unpredictable ones feel forced or far-fetched.  All that being said, if someone who had never read Goon Squad were to ask me if I've read any good historical novels lately, I could, in good conscience, recommend this one. 

K8teebug

« Reply #353 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:47 pm »
Thank you for this review. LOVED goon squad. Perhaps will skip this one.

Space Freely

« Reply #354 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:16 pm »

One tepid review from a random guy on an internet message board makes you want to skip a book?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #355 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »
I bought that but have to finish the new Eugindies first. Looking forward to it. Goon Squad is a hard bar to replicate.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »

One tepid review from a random guy on an internet message board makes you want to skip a book?

I have a bunch of books in my pile right now. Will wait to hear what some of my friends think before just buying it. Is that better?

ggw

« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2017, 10:46:38 am »
Short list entries are out for the Man Booker Prize.   Loved the Auster book.  Anyone read the others?         http://themanbookerprize.com/news/man-booker-prize-announces-2017-shortlist                                                                                                 

Just finished Exit West.  I liked it a great deal - 8.5/10.  I am a fan of Hamid's writing style.  He's got this sort of sparse but elegant stream-of-consciousness thing going on.  Just like he did in the Reluctant Fundamentalist, he's able to take a really heavy topic and spin a very intimate, relatable yarn around it.  I think magical realism has become an overused device in recent years, but it works in this book.

Bagley

« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2017, 10:41:37 am »

Just finished Exit West.  I liked it a great deal - 8.5/10.  I am a fan of Hamid's writing style.  He's got this sort of sparse but elegant stream-of-consciousness thing going on.  Just like he did in the Reluctant Fundamentalist, he's able to take a really heavy topic and spin a very intimate, relatable yarn around it.  I think magical realism has become an overused device in recent years, but it works in this book.

Thanks, I'll check my local library for that one

bearman🐻

« Reply #359 on: November 28, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

Really powerful, I highly recommend this one. Patty's story isn't easy to digest, but it's about as compelling as they come. The Hit So Hard documentary was great, but this really details the grip and destructive nature of her addiction and how she managed to survive it. Major respect to her, not just for her drumming but for her courage.