Author Topic: Pixies fans  (Read 98892 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Pixies fans
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I'm new to it as well.  You're right, the torrent community can be militant about no mp3s.

The size difference in the two file would indicate .flac is much better.

I noticed that the download rate for the Pixies show was considerably (4-5x) faster from the pj site than from the sharingthegroove site. (last night at least).
I will have to check out the pj site, I think my pixies download should be complete by now, just left it on overnight.

bearman🐻

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »
Yeah, but the first night sold out too fast for me to get tickets and I've got to be back in DC for the 4th night. I'm sure I can get tickets to the first night somehow though.

igor

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
flac and shn are lossless files, while mp3s are "lossy" files. mp3s lose some of the frequencies when wav files are compressed. with flac and shn, the compression is just enough as to not lose any frequency. so why flac or shn as opposed to wav, wav files are still bigger than either flac or shn.

http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html

grotty

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2004, 06:48:00 pm »
I just got this Pixies show review for Minn. The email did not list source:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. In the Pixies' case, a dozen years away from the stage has only helped their legend -- not just a consistently brilliant catalogue that converts thousands of new listeners every year, but
 the sense that the Pixies' tremendous effect on other bands (Nirvana pledged allegiance, for a start) was about to be rewarded commercially as well as aesthetically. Instead, the band broke up, and while bassist Kim Deal's Breeders and frontman Frank Black's solo career did just fine, neither one ever eclipsed the Pixies, as music or as legend.
 "Legendary" isn't exactly how Black, Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago, or drummer David Lovering appeared at the outset of their reunion trek at Minneapolis' Fine Line on Tuesday night. Instead, they appeared as hard workers transported by their craft, frequently keeping their heads down as they ripped through a career-spanning set, from 1987's "Caribou" through
 1991's "U-Mass," taking a detour for Neil Young's "Winterlong." Frank Black (or Black Francis, as he was known in his Pixies days), clad in flannel and jeans, scrunched his eyes shut as he hollered gleefully at the climax of
 "Debaser" (the song that got the loudest applause). Deal, all in black, grinned like mad behind a face full of hair. A long-haired and black-capped Lovering appeared -- and played -- like he'd won the rock-drummer lottery.
 The dapper Santiago, looked like the Son of Zorro, glanced around the stage like a host concerned about making his guests comfortable, while reeling out one perfect lead after another.

The choice of venue might have had something to do with that work ethic. Minneapolis's Fine Line houses 800 maximum, a number the club kept steadily to despite a horde of anxious fans hoping to get in. (There were still
 seventy-five or so even after the show -- which sold out in a reported four minutes -- had finished.) The space's intimacy could have given the Pixies room to meander if they'd wanted, but there was nothing sloppy about the show. They landed on every mark while still seeming casual, and although the band didn't talk much between songs there was a real sense of generosity in
 the air: twenty-seven songs covering the entire catalogue. And the audience shouted along with damn near everything, giving as good as they got.

brennser

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2004, 10:38:00 am »

ggw

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Originally posted by igor:
  flac and shn are lossless files, while mp3s are "lossy" files. mp3s lose some of the frequencies when wav files are compressed. with flac and shn, the compression is just enough as to not lose any frequency. so why flac or shn as opposed to wav, wav files are still bigger than either flac or shn.

http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html
Thanks.  Very helpful link.

ggw

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2004, 11:02:00 am »

Barcelona

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2004, 10:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  For anyone interested, the setlist from last night's Minneapolis show:

Bone Machine
 Wave of Mutilation
 U-Mass
 Levitate Me
 Broken Face
 Monkey Gone To Heaven
 Holiday Song
 Winterlong
 Nimrod's Song
 La La Love You
 Ed Is dead
 Here Comes Your Man
 Vamos
 Debaser
 Dead
 Number 13 Baby
 Tame
 Gigantic
 Gouge Away
 Caribou

Encore:

Isla De Encanta
 Velouria
 In Heaven->Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
 Where Is My Mind?
 Into The White
I might be wrong, don't recall all the songs on each album, but only one song from Bossanova? They should at least play "the Happening", maybe their best song.

skonster

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2004, 08:08:00 am »
Don't know if this is redundant, but individual MP3 files from the MN show are here:

http://klepshimi.blogspot.com/

Barcelona

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2004, 02:50:00 pm »
More dates from pixiesmusic.com

SEPTEMBER
 4 Les Schwab Amphitheatre, Bend, OR
 6 Bumbershoot/Memorial Stadium, Seattle, WA(headlining Main Stage)
 18 Austin City Limits Music Festival/Ziker Park, Austin, TX (Texas Stage)
 20 Mesa Amphitheatre, Phoenix, AZ (on sale Friday, May 7)
 24, 25 Greek Theatre, Berkeley, CA (SOLD OUT)
 30 Magness Arena, Denver, CO
 OCTOBER
 8 USF Sundome, Tampa, FL (on sale Saturday, May 15)
 14 Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA (SOLD OUT)
 16 Voodoo Festival, New Orleans, LA
 17 Reliant Arena, Houston, TX (on sale Saturday, May 15)
 19 Next Stage, Dallas, TX (on sale Saturday, May 8)
 NOVEMBER
 10 Roy Wilkins Auditorium, Minneapolis, MN (on sale Saturday, May 1)
 11 Roy Wilkins Auditorium, Minneapolis, MN (SOLD OUT)
 13-16 Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL (SOLD OUT)
 20 State Theatre, Detroit, MI
 24 Arrow Hall, Toronto, Ont. CANADA (SOLD OUT)
 25 Arrow Hall, Toronto, Ont. CANADA (on sale Thursday, April 29)
 26 CEPSUM Arena, Montreal, Que. CANADA
 DECEMBER
 4 Tweeter Center, Philadelphia, PA

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
good to see the Pixies are on the "Texas Stage". I know they rank among my top 10 Texas bands.

bearman🐻

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2004, 04:17:00 pm »
Don't forget they are the surprise guests at the Moving Units Coachella kickoff party in Pomona. Should be an insane show for those that got tickets!

Chip Chanko

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
So what are the DC rumors. Seth...will they be doing 4 nights at the club? It would be a real shame for them to play some place like DAR. What's the deal? They're playing Philly December 4th.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2004, 05:15:00 pm »
The DC rumours are that DC is not quite as cool of a town as Bozeman, Boise, and Des Moines, so you aint gettin a show at all, dude. Not until we stop the fuckers from littering the sidewalks with KFC boxes and Burger King trash.

Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  So what are the DC rumors. Seth...will they be doing 4 nights at the club? It would be a real shame for them to play some place like DAR. What's the deal? They're playing Philly December 4th.

Lamb007

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2004, 09:55:00 am »
Please god.  Not Bender, Pat Center or any other university dump.  Those sandboxes are fine for a sporting event but suck for a show.  Besides, you can't enjoy an adult beverage at those gigs.  I hope they do play Constitution Hall, Merriweather Post, anywhere but a college.

Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
[/QB][/QUOTE]