Author Topic: Airline Questions  (Read 2233 times)

thirsty moore

Airline Questions
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
There have been a few threads about airlines and upgrade packages, lounges, and the recent announcement by American.

What am I missing out on?  In my view as a coach passenger, all airlines suck.  At this point in my life, airlines are a means to get somewhere.  That's it.  

So, tell me.  What's the big secret?

bearman🐻

Re: Airline Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »
The secret: the more you fly, the more miles you get. Then you get status with a particular airline, get better seating, get to board first, don't get charged for that bag nonsense if you have status, and then you get upgrades. The longer you have had status and the more you fly, the more accomodating airlines are when you need to make changes to your travel plans, want a good seat, need to fly standby, etc. It's really more about how much you travel and if you go for work a lot then that's how you can rack up the miles. Also having a credit card for the particular airline helps when you want to use miles to upgrade. It's a bit of a game really, ultimately it's not as worth it to the casual traveler because it's going to get too expensive (and has already gotten there) to just hop on a plane and go away for a weekend. More and more people are going to be spending long weekends and holidays closer to home, and frankly I can see why. Airlines really suck these days.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
Why would anyone want to waste miles to upgrade to first class? I guess if you have a fountain of miles and don't care, sure...but my means of earning miles are limited, so I'd rather spend them on free trips rather than upgrades.

Besides, it's usually douchebags sitting in first class anyway, best I can tell.

eros

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »
The more you fly (I'm leaving for Munich tomorrow), the less inclined you are to put up with bullshit.  Especially on the 8+ hour long hauls.

I don't usually go first/business, but I've got so many miles that I can get into the business lounges before departure.  The ones in Europe are extra-nice as they usually have what I like to refer to as the "alcohol buffet".  I get to the airport extra early and just pour myself on to the plane after that.
ʎɐʍou

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »
Work has flown me all over creation so the miles are there.  Thanks for your explanation bearman.

juni77

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »
If you're flying all over creation, you shouldn't be in coach.  If you fly as little as once or twice a month on a particular airline, you will gain status with them and many times get automatic upgrades.  Or at least certificates that you can use for upgrades--seperate from the miles you accrue towards free flights.

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »
Good to know D2.  There was a point where I was flying pretty regularly.  That has died down recently, but I could see it picking back up again.