Author Topic: iphone  (Read 377082 times)

vansmack

Re: iphone
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 02:23:45 pm »
Opera Mini vs. iPhone

I can't get it.

I know, because the Apple doesn't let the iPhone play nice with other browsers - even the superior ones that are free.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:08 pm »
I've used Opera on Windows Mobile before and thought it was OK. 

The iphone has a few obvious shortcomings - no java, flash and the ubiquitous copy paste issue.

That said, I got my first palm pilot about 10 years ago, my first smartphone when samsung released their first Palm OS based phone that had a color screen a few years after that, have had a million blackberries and windows mobile phones, treos etc for various jobs and also to satisfy my own gadget lust.

In a big picture sense, none of them hold a candle to the experience I've had with the iphone.  I could pick out a few things about some of them that trump the iphone in one way or another.  But overall, IMHO, the Iphone just crushes all of them.  And that's before you even consider that it's got a built in Ipod or the App Store which just gets better and better all the time.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

vansmack

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 06:29:39 pm »
And that's all I've got to say about that.

Somehow, I doubt that.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:46 pm »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
The thing is though, the app store is kinda like one of those old company stores in mining towns, where the workers were paid in vouchers rather than cash and so could only shop there.   It's really obnoxious of Apple to limit customers to only apps puchased through them (although also very typically Apple).

Having had the iphone for three weeks now, it's the coolest handheld I've used in many ways.  But Apple's closed mentality is really irritating.   Also annoying, the crappy camera which is pretty much useless for night shots (although it appears if you're willing to "jailbreak" your phone, you can buy a better camera app), lack of video, and lack of copy and paste.

By and large though, it's not a purchase I regret.   
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »
But Apple's closed mentality is really irritating. 

But when hasn't Apple been this way?  I won't doubt that their products are lovely, but people glaze over the real problem with their business structures.  What they lack in true substance, they make up for in style, and while being so highly touted for "innovation" they do much more to stifle innovation.  But that won't stop the flock...
27>34

Driveway

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 09:12:55 am »
I'm sort of torn between getting an iphone or the google phone.  What's a boy supposed to do?  If the damn thing was on Verizon, it would be a no brainer.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »
But Apple's closed mentality is really irritating. 

But when hasn't Apple been this way?  I won't doubt that their products are lovely, but people glaze over the real problem with their business structures.  What they lack in true substance, they make up for in style, and while being so highly touted for "innovation" they do much more to stifle innovation.  But that won't stop the flock...

I agree...  I still like the phone though. 
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:16 pm »
But Apple's closed mentality is really irritating.   Also annoying, the crappy camera which is pretty much useless for night shots (although it appears if you're willing to "jailbreak" your phone, you can buy a better camera app), lack of video, and lack of copy and paste.

I love the World Mobile Conference...

After a few more weeks of use and your list could be this long:

No bluetooth music streaming and/or file transfers (video is out of the question)
No drag and drop file juggling
No Flash support inside Safari (where the heck is Opera Mobile and/or SkyFire for this thing)
No Java
No copy and paste
No tethering
No front camera
No video recording
No video calls
No user replaceable battery
No radio
No VGA resolution
No IR port (it's something I take for granted, using my phone as a remote for well...anything just about)
No physical keyboard
No external storage card support (Micro SDHC cards are up to 32 GB now, 8GB is NOT enough these days, especially for a media device)
No voice command (WM devices and even some "el-cheapo" phones have featured this for years now)
No MMS (it doesn't have phone-to-phone MMS, it has phone-to-air-to-phone picture sharing necessitating a data plan)
No Live TV (that doesnt require you to be connected to an app like Orb on your home PC, which defeats the purpose, why would I want to watch it on a dinky non VGA screen instead of just on my home PC when im at home anyways)
No camera flash
No camera zoom
Same old, subpar, 2 MP camera for that matter
No multitasking
No turn-by-turn voice navigation system
Limited video format support
Limited picture format support
Limited file format support in general
Only 128 MB of RAM (Cant run many apps simultaneously -- I mean not that it matters since multitasking is for all intents and purposes out of the question! New WM phones are getting 256+ MB of RAM, with 150+ MB free on bootup)
Source in the comments

And Nokia signed up for Flash 10, joining MS, Google and Palm, leaving Apple and RIM (Blackberry) as the only two not signed up.  Why?  Hardware limitations.  Oh, and Jobs is probably hardballing.

27>34

walkonby

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:37 pm »
sorry, wrong thread.  has been moved.  i forget this is about iphone.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:59:24 pm by walkonby »

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
I'm sort of torn between getting an iphone or the google phone.  What's a boy supposed to do?  If the damn thing was on Verizon, it would be a no brainer.

I say GooglePhone all the way!

We are KILLING it.
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 05:16:13 pm »
How do I get out of contract without paying early termination fee? What's a good excuse? Got laid off?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43:55 pm »
How do I get out of contract without paying early termination fee? What's a good excuse? Got laid off?

i've read of two ways:
- there are website where you can "sell" your contract, like cell swapper.  essentially you transfer what is left of you contract to someone else.  you might lose a little bit of money, but it will be a lot less than the termination fee.
- become an "expensive" customer for the cell company, then ask them to drop you.  "expensive" = using every second of your free/unlimited night-time minutes, downloading a lot of data, etc.  do that for a few weeks, and they'll be asking you to leave when you call to cancel.

for more info, google "get out of your cell phone contract".
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 05:44:31 pm »
man smackie really hates the iphone
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 06:46:40 pm »

In California, there is an order holding off on all termination fees as they were recently judged illegal under CA law.  The process is awaiting appeals and Federal intervention.
27>34