Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259578 times)

bob72

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2016, 08:55:39 pm »
Where did you see a list of RSD 2016 releases????
the "official" list is out Tuesday? I think.

This info came by way of Greem River's FB page today
PENIS

killsaly

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2016, 09:05:32 pm »
OK, just checking.  I follow it close enough to know the official list is not out yet, but thought you might have had a more official source than the ones I already saw. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2016, 10:54:12 am »
so vinyl isn't dead, but every time i hear those scratches, pops, flutters and wows, i wish it was...

but maybe this is a reason to keep it alive:

Exclusive: Patents Filed for ?High Definition Vinyl? Technology
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:33 am »

bob72

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »
From the owner of Crooked Beat

TO THE MANY CUSTOMERS AND FRIENDS OF CROOKED BEAT RECORDS:
Some of you have inquired about the future of Crooked Beat at our current location at 2116 18th Street in DC.
It is true that last year we worked out an agreement to stay in our current location for several more years. In the interim though, there have been issues with our building that have progressively gotten worse that I will not elaborate on. I work very long hours in this space and it has come to light that some of the existing problems are affecting my health. Therefore, out of concern for my health, I recently declined to sign a long-term extension of my lease, at least and until improvements are made to the building and conditions here are brought to a more satisfactory level. Nevertheless, even with efforts to remedy the problems with this old building, the attempted repairs have not been sufficient and the issues continue to persist. As a result, I am exploring options to leave this location and move to another space in the very near future.
First and foremost, I want to say that if possible, we would love to stay here in Adams Morgan or the surrounding area. Crooked Beat has been on 18th Street since 2004 and we really do love being here. We have hundreds of loyal customers who been coming to us for many years, including a large number of people who have been patrons of Crooked Beat for well over a decade. We even have some customers who have had a routine of coming in almost every Saturday and then heading over to Amsterdam Falafel Eatery further up on 18th Street. The reason I mention this is because Crooked Beat and Amsterdam Falafel both came to 18th Street and opened here around the same time in 2004.
So, the upshot is that it is our goal to stay in this part of DC if at all possible. However, we are well aware of the higher rents in the District that are now making it very challenging and difficult for ?Mom and Pop? businesses to exist in many parts of this city. As such, we are also exploring the possibility of relocating to H Street in NE DC, or even Arlington or Alexandria in Virginia. Also, we would appreciate any input from you regarding potential landing spots for Crooked Beat so if someone knows of any available locations suitable for a record shop such as this, please feel free to e-mail me.
Thank you all for the many years of loyal patronage and
hopefully there will be many more to come!
- Bill Daly
Crooked Beat Records
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:58 pm »
I know Bill lives near me cause he's always mailing records at my local post office!

I used to go to Crooked Beat... I stopped going there many many years ago...

It would suck to work in a building that was giving you health issues if you had worked there for over a decade...

killsaly

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »
I miss Yoshitoshi.  It was my favorite record store and closed only a year after I started going.  I imagine the rent was expensive in Georgetown.

dyecraig

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:58 pm »
I miss Yoshitoshi.  It was my favorite record store and closed only a year after I started going.  I imagine the rent was expensive in Georgetown.
i forgot about that place - so cool - up some narrow stairs - japanese toys and mags and stuff, too.

dyecraig

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2016, 09:58:37 pm »

crap - bill is one of the nicest guys in the biz - i worked in a toxic building for many years - took me 2 years to feel alright.  cd cellar's old space in clarendon is too pricy. other spots in arlington sound promising.  some amazing spots in old town warrenton, but who's gonna come out there?  erm, me.

Yada

« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2016, 08:11:13 am »

crap - bill is one of the nicest guys in the biz - i worked in a toxic building for many years - took me 2 years to feel alright.  cd cellar's old space in clarendon is too pricy. other spots in arlington sound promising.  some amazing spots in old town warrenton, but who's gonna come out there?  erm, me.

Joe's in silver spring is/was the best record store in the area imo.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2016, 09:40:13 am »
Any word on when Joe's opens their new location? I hope they survive there....it's an odd choice.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
Last time I went by they were hoping for this weekend. But who knows.

dyecraig

« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2016, 11:41:28 am »
not really feeling the new cd cellar. lacks vibe.

hutch

« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2016, 12:45:54 pm »
not really feeling the new cd cellar. lacks vibe.

you know.. you're right...not sure why it has no vibe.... its just a boring rectangle.. i don't know about the people who work there being positioned above you...

I also haven't been scoring much cool lately..

They seem to be doing well business wise though...

I traded in a bunch of records and was unhappy with what they gave me.. so that kind of soured me a bit too....probably my fault for accepting what they offered but I'm not a haggler...and once I schlepped the records over I wasn't going to take them back..

I miss the Arlington store....

hutch

« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2016, 05:05:02 pm »
kind of rings true...

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rollins-im-a-collector-not-a-hoarder-6772891

whenever i get rid of records i come to regret it....