Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259601 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2016, 01:54:33 pm »
What a mess. They've been closed nearly the entire year.

I'm a little surprised they've been able to raise even that much money.

killsaly

« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:22 pm »
I'm planning on going to the grand opening of Baby's on Fire today in the Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore.  I'm not sure what to expect outside of they sell records and coffee.

hutch

« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2016, 03:22:27 pm »
man I wish I lived in Baltimore.. its been a while since we got a new record store in DC

killsaly

« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2016, 06:04:07 pm »
I will let you know how it is.  From the pictures I saw, it seemed a bit small, and more cafe than record store.  I am excited to check it out.  I have a few friends who will be working there.
https://www.facebook.com/babysonfirecafe/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/baltimore-diner-blog/bal-baby-s-on-fire-new-mount-vernon-cafe-opening-this-week-20160606-story.html
The BYOB is housed in a historic carriage house, where the owners will sell new, used and collectible vinyls alongside food and drinks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:07:44 pm by killsaly »

dyecraig

« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
I'm planning on going to the grand opening of Baby's on Fire today in the Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore.  I'm not sure what to expect outside of they sell records and coffee.
great name, great song.

« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:27 pm »
great name, great song.
Here Come the Warm Jets is soo good
After seeing Velvet Goldmine I binged on that album
slack

evilizac

« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:36 am »
Don't know if this was posted (didn't see anything in a search), but Bump n' Grind in Silver Spring is pretty quaint. . . Went to a nice little open mic (done in the spirit of P&P's Modern Times Open Mic).
Don't know how long it could possibly last. The parking situation is a little rough, but the atmosphere is nice.  http://bumpngrind.co/
WHAT?

bob72

« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »
I buy records, I don't "collect vinyl." I'm not usually one for demos and rarities. I also resigned myself to the fact that I would probably never own a Margot record because they are somewhat rare and fairly pricey. I broke my rules for this one cause it was a good deal. I don't think maybe the seller knew the demand for it?

PENIS

killsaly

« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:34 pm »
Here is a picture of Baby's on Fire (view from the corner next to the entrance).  The two walls that are not pictured are lined with tables.  Their selection was not huge, but they did have a few gems (used and new).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:02:59 pm by killsaly »

dyecraig

« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2016, 08:53:50 pm »
so when it comes to original pressings of early stones or dylan lps, what is more desirable - mono or stereo?
maybe i mean "valuable".

hutch

« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2016, 07:06:52 am »
so when it comes to original pressings of early stones or dylan lps, what is more desirable - mono or stereo?
maybe i mean "valuable".

well they were recorded with mono in mind so I think mono.... also in the case of columbia the covers for the mono are really the definitive ones... the first dylan album in stereo is a bit weird as there are the guitar, voice and harmonica.... and i think the voice is on one side and the guitar on the other...

dyecraig

« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2016, 07:28:02 am »
maybe i mean "valuable".

well they were recorded with mono in mind so I think mono.... also in the case of columbia the covers for the mono are really the definitive ones... the first dylan album in stereo is a bit weird as there are the guitar, voice and harmonica.... and i think the voice is on one side and the guitar on the other...

so i guess phil spector was right about one thing.
the mono thing, that is.

hutch

« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2016, 07:43:40 am »
yes!

and for the stones i don't believe there are original stereo mixes for most of the first few albums....that is how unimportant stereo was......the "stereo" mix is just "electronically reprocessed" mono...

dyecraig

« Reply #223 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
minuteman minimall - culpeper

left that last one behind for you all.
was hoping this was the place...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup-pk

hutch

« Reply #224 on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »
quinteto violado.. nice