Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259638 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2016, 09:33:01 pm »
There's an article in December's Hi-Fi News and Record Review called "Vinyl: On Borrowed Time?" A few choice quotes from vinyl cutting engineer Tim Young:

"[Lathe maker] Neumann no longer makes any cutting equipment, or any spare parts. They don't do repairs. the cutter head is cooled with helium, but if you blow one by overloading the coils you have to find one of the one-man-band operations that will do you a repair job by hand and pay at least £5000 for the work."

"Ortofon still makes player cartridges, of course, but nothing for cutting. In fact all the original companies making cutting equipment have ceased."

"Really it's idiocy that with all the new interest in vinyl, the people now cutting don't get together as a consortium to encourage the manufacture of a new lathe. But it would need co-operation and this is a cut-throat business. You could describe it as the most brutal manifestation of capitalism. So co-operation hasn't happened."

Almost all LPs are now cut from digital files, rather than original analogue masters. Tim Young puts the digital figure at 95% or more.

"What really annoys me is the rubbish being written about vinyl in the online forums, especially in the US. One of the worst examples is when some Joe Schmo hooks up a turntable to a computer, looks at waveforms and says what sounds good or bad. As they say, a little learning is a dangerous thing."
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »
yup.. i think new vinyl is often a fools errand...

but it depends.. of course underworld's new album was recorded digitally.. duh.. but the lp is not brickwalled like the cd which causes ear fatigue..

ggw

« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:47 pm »
^ cool...but don't have $500 to drop

this is what I was looking at...ya know as it has to be a display piece too if it's going to be in the family room

That will set me back about $300

Did you get it at Crate & Barrel?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/orbit-plus-turntable-with-built-in-preamp/s262283

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2016, 12:10:07 pm »
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2016, 11:22:26 am »

Bethesda ~1940. The look on the clerk's face  :D.
😐 🎶

« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

I picture Julian wearing his mink to go record shopping

I think having that look is a part of your application for working at a record store
utter disdain for your customers
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:52:29 pm by sidehatch 🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 »
slack

hutch

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:36 pm »

I picture Julian wearing his mink to go record shopping

I think having that look is a part of your application for working at a record store
utter disdain for your customers
geez
we look like a bunch of street rats and hobos compared to those people...

I think there is something deeper going on with the record clerk

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2016, 01:58:08 pm »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2017, 10:04:35 pm »
the new Third Man Records Vault release will be Margo Price live at the Hamilton....

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:13 am »
This week's episode of the Twenty Thousand Hertz podcast tells the story of how a middle-aged man rediscovers himself when he ditches digital music, and goes full on analog. 

https://www.20k.org/episodes-1/2016/11/7/cbe3wndc518zc9sf3b79qdmzhqwy0a

« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:58 pm »
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »
Here's a random question. Does anyone know how to determine how rare a mis-print is? I found an 1980's copy of "Metal Circus" by Husker Du and was surprised that side 2 is actually side 4 of "Zen Arcade". Does anyone know how rare these are? The guy who did the in-depth Husker Du discography doesn't really know much about how rare they are, plus there isn't much online either. I was just curious if anyone on here might have any ideas of where I could get a better idea. Thanks!

hutch

« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:13 pm »
Here's a random question. Does anyone know how to determine how rare a mis-print is? I found an 1980's copy of "Metal Circus" by Husker Du and was surprised that side 2 is actually side 4 of "Zen Arcade". Does anyone know how rare these are? The guy who did the in-depth Husker Du discography doesn't really know much about how rare they are, plus there isn't much online either. I was just curious if anyone on here might have any ideas of where I could get a better idea. Thanks!

that kind of thing adds no value to the record I have found..

is it rare? yes... probably very rare

it could even lessen the value..

Relaxer

« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:04 pm »
I sold a first printing of Dead Kennedies' Fresh Fruit album on eBay for something like $85 because it had the original photo on the back (of an old time band, which sued Cherry Red for using the photo without authorization). I'd say throw it up on eBay and see if you get some weirdo collector.
oword

hutch

« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2017, 12:45:34 pm »
I sold a first printing of Dead Kennedies' Fresh Fruit album on eBay for something like $85 because it had the original photo on the back (of an old time band, which sued Cherry Red for using the photo without authorization). I'd say throw it up on eBay and see if you get some weirdo collector.

ok but that is totally different.. people pay up the nose all the time for the original original first first more original than the original pressing...

misapplied labels is just a faulty product...

but yeah.. if you want to sell it you put it up on ebay for like $49.95 and see if anybody bites on a buy it now...or if you are ambivalent about selling it then just put it up at a really high price like $149.99 and who knows.... of course you're a huge bob mould fan

the best place to get an idea might be on discogs.. just look there and see if there is any such variant listed..sometimes they have them