Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259603 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2017, 04:19:54 pm »
Now you can buy the vinyl that NASA gave away for free to the aliens.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/voyager-record-nasa-sent-to-space-for-sale

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:56 pm »
While researching the past of the College Park RTX, I came across two old Post articles of interest:

November 11, 1979, The Record Biz -- After the Crash

CBS, the undisputed leader in wholesale sales in the $4.1-billion industry, cut the list price on more than 350 albums from $7.98 $5.98.

The dawn of the "Nice Price" era.

Buddy Poms, owner of Sights and Sounds Records in Gaithersburg, and many others of the more than 100 store owners in the area....

More than 100 stores?!?! :o :o :o

June 20, 1997, RECORD TIME

Contains a long list of area stores that existed 20 years ago.

😐 🎶

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2017, 06:35:05 pm »
Nice.  I'd forgotten the name of Sights and Sounds.

Anyone remember the name of the record store in Wheaton Triangle (not Phantasmagoria)? I can only remember it as Backstreet Records but I'm not sure that's right.  It was a frequent stop when I used to bounce around MoCo looking for stuff.

There was a shop in downtown Bethesda, too, and I can't remember the name of that one, either.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #333 on: November 29, 2017, 06:45:51 pm »
Joe's?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #334 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:49 pm »
Joe's has been in 5 locations by my count but never in Wheaton Triangle.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2017, 07:35:41 pm »
Nice.  I'd forgotten the name of Sights and Sounds.

Anyone remember the name of the record store in Wheaton Triangle (not Phantasmagoria)? I can only remember it as Backstreet Records but I'm not sure that's right.  It was a frequent stop when I used to bounce around MoCo looking for stuff.

There was a shop in downtown Bethesda, too, and I can't remember the name of that one, either.

Backstreet Records is quoted in the 1979 article.
😐 🎶

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #336 on: November 29, 2017, 07:40:08 pm »
Hadn't gotten to that article yet. Thanks!

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2018, 02:19:24 pm »
A wall of vinyl, but spine in.
😐 🎶

bearman🐻

« Reply #338 on: January 10, 2018, 02:53:12 pm »
Yung Wu (offshoot of the Feelies) LP "Shore Leave" will get a reissue this year.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:21 am »
Hoping someone can assist me with a vinyl setup query. Currently I have the following setup:

Orbit Special Turntable with built-in pre-amp -> Sonos Connect:AMP -> Two Sonos Play:5 on the other side of the room.

This works well but I would like the option to listen via headphones as well. I know I can plug directly into the Play:5s but they are inconveniently placed for headphone listening and there's some lag according to everything I've read online. How do I do this? Do I go:

Turntable w/Pre-amp -> Some sort of "splitter" -> Headphone Amp
                                                                                                         -> Sonos Connect:Amp -> Play:5

or is there a Headphone Amp I can buy that has both headphone out and audio out both? Prefer not to add a receiver to the mix.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2018, 12:45:20 pm »
Hoping someone can assist me with a vinyl setup query. Currently I have the following setup:

Orbit Special Turntable with built-in pre-amp -> Sonos Connect:AMP -> Two Sonos Play:5 on the other side of the room.

This works well but I would like the option to listen via headphones as well. I know I can plug directly into the Play:5s but they are inconveniently placed for headphone listening and there's some lag according to everything I've read online. How do I do this? Do I go:

Turntable w/Pre-amp -> Some sort of "splitter" -> Headphone Amp
                                                                                                         -> Sonos Connect:Amp -> Play:5

or is there a Headphone Amp I can buy that has both headphone out and audio out both? Prefer not to add a receiver to the mix.

I'd suggest not listening to vinyl through sonos speakers.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #342 on: January 18, 2018, 12:48:24 pm »
This meets your criteria.  You can also go up the line if you want to...$99 - $849

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

ggw

hutch

« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2018, 02:32:10 pm »
Score!!!