Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259633 times)

hutch

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #345 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
The thing that always gets me is the difference between sellers trying to take advantage of people and those simply trying to unload records...the more I go to the dc record fair  -and I been there since the first one although not all- the more I ignore the former and focus on the latter...it’s a record fair and prices should reflect that and not eBay...for example lighting can be poor...

« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2018, 12:32:59 pm »

Probably the most unusual record in my collection! In post WWII Russia, Stalin banned the possession of any western music. All records allowed in the country had to be of Russian composers. But there was an underground hungry for Western popular music—everything from jazz and blues to rock & roll. But smuggling vinyl was dangerous, and acquiring the scarce material to make copies of those records that did make it into the country was expensive and very risky.

An ingenuous solution to this problem began to emerge in the form of “bone music," or sometimes called "bones 'n' ribs" music, or simply Ribs.

A young 19 year-old sound engineer Ruslan Bogoslowski in Leningrad changed the game when he created a device to bootleg western albums so he could distribute them across Russia. Problem was he couldn't find material to bootleg his pressings onto, vinyl was scare as were all petroleum products after the war. Then, one day he stumbled upon a pile of discarded X-rays. It worked. At the time, Russian law mandated that all X-rays had to be destroyed after 1 year of storage because they were flammable so he dug through trash bins and paid off orderlies for x-rays and for 20 years he handmade about 1,000,000 bootlegs onto X-ray film of everything from classical to the Beach Boys, eventually spending five years imprisoned in Siberia for this rebellion.

For over 20 years, Bone Music was the only way Russian music lovers could get western music, which they played at "music and coffee parties" in their kitchens, away from the KGB ears and eyes.

So I had to find one. This is a 78 rpm recording of the Indian Song "Awaara" by Raj Kapoor on an exposed Chest X-ray. Probably around 1951. Each Rib, was handmade, and one of a kind.

Bone Music. A testament to the underground courage to subvert authority, rebellion, and the love of music. The spirit of rock n roll.
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »
^^ That’s really cool.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2018, 02:27:14 pm »
Agreed.  Would be back lit art in my house.

The other photos are amazing too:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tnIyp
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:28:56 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2018, 04:32:08 pm »
I totally agree!
didn't know there were other photos

this one would be great for a RSD release for Ministry: A mind is a terrible thing to taste

slack

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #350 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:36 pm »
Anyone subscribe to Vinyl Me, Please? If so, have any pros and cons to offer?

Yada

« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2018, 01:27:54 pm »

I nearly signed up for it a long time ago, but why not just spend that amount of money per month on an album you really want to buy vs. getting a release you're not too excited about?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »

I nearly signed up for it a long time ago, but why not just spend that amount of money per month on an album you really want to buy vs. getting a release you're not too excited about?
This was exactly my thought process as well.
LVMH

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »

According to their website, you can exchange records you receive and have no interest in having with older 'Records Of The Month'. If true, this aspect surprised me and hence why I wanted to reach out to others.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:54 pm »

It's the stupidest name for a business ever.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »
Yup

hutch

« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2018, 05:48:50 pm »
Based on dyecraig rec I checked out Dig record store in Leesburg and indeed it is a good visit...good stuff!! It is just a little far for me but I will be back

dyecraig

« Reply #357 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:15 pm »
Based on dyecraig rec I checked out Dig record store in Leesburg and indeed it is a good visit...good stuff!! It is just a little far for me but I will be back
cool man, everything's a little far for me though.
up in pittsburgh for a few days, a few new(er) places: get hip, vinyl remains, jerry's is still here but new owner, jerry himself is now vinyl man at his warehouse/home - that was an experience.
music to my ear is very high end audio and tons of good used vinyl.
the attic, juke, cruel noise all happening.
worth a weekend trip at least.
and everything within a 20 mile radius.

analogfossa

« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2018, 04:51:23 pm »

According to their website, you can exchange records you receive and have no interest in having with older 'Records Of The Month'. If true, this aspect surprised me and hence why I wanted to reach out to others.

They do! The records they choose are getting better/more diverse. I had a subscription at the beginning of 2016 as a gift but didn't have funds to keep renewing. Best ones so far were first repressing of Gorillaz- Demon Days on red vinyl, Main Source- Breaking Atoms on clear w/ color bleed out of the center, and The Books - The Lemon of Pink on starburst splatter

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2018, 09:10:46 am »

They do! The records they choose are getting better/more diverse. I had a subscription at the beginning of 2016 as a gift but didn't have funds to keep renewing. Best ones so far were first repressing of Gorillaz- Demon Days on red vinyl, Main Source- Breaking Atoms on clear w/ color bleed out of the center, and The Books - The Lemon of Pink on starburst splatter

I may still jump in. I looked through the catalog and there are 10-12 I want that I could trade in for in the event the record of the month doesn't do anything for me.