Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259661 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 Portability is no longer any reason to stick with CDs, and neither is audio quality. Although
 vinyl purists are ripe for parody, they're right about one thing: Records can sound better than CDs.

Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.

Another reason for vinyl's sonic superiority is that no matter how high a sampling rate is, it can never contain all of the data present in an analog groove, Nyquist's theorem to the contrary.

"The digital world will never get there," said Chris Ashworth, owner of United Record Pressing, the country's largest record pressing plant.

Golden-eared audiophiles have long testified to vinyl's warmer, richer sound.
from an audiophile perspective, i wish there was a mid-way point between CDs and vinyl.  the dynamic range on CDs does suck all too often, the fact that it's done on purpose is a crime against humanity.  vinyl's fidelity b/c of analog is *theoretically* better, but at an unacceptable cost IMO: scratches, pops, wobble, flutter, etc.

CDs are closer to what the artists, engineers, producers, etc hear upon final mixdown.  it's the shitty mastering that gets in the way.  in the studio, people don't rush out and press a vinyl copy to see how it sounds, and adjust the mix accordingly... and that "warmer, richer" sound is a slight analog distortion.  it's pleasing to the ear, but it's not a 100% faithful reproduction of the original recording.  but pleasing is all that counts  :)

the best option would be to get a copy of the master on a DAT (anybody remember those?) @ 96k/24 bit, but that's not economically viable.  dang.
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by jm1:
  More on the Orpheus closing:

http://vinyldistrict.blogspot.com/
has anyone been to orpheus recently?  pretty picked-over already?
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »
CD Cellar in Clarendon is also being evicted - at a yet to be determined date.  Nowhere near as good as Orpheus for vinyl, but their selection has been steadily improving (at least at the Clarendon store).

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »
made a pilgrimage to orpheus today ... a lot of the big stuff (smiths, replacements, new order, etc) is totally gone, but i found some gems:

simon & garfunkel: parsley sage, live @ central park
 simon: s/t
 the who: who are you
 xtc: drums and wires
 kraftwerk: trans-europe
 matthew sweet: 100% fun
 REM: fables, document
 stones: some girls, get yer ya yas
 rundgren: something/anything
 lone justice s/t
 randy newman: sail away
 byrds: greatest hits
 kate bush: hounds of love
 edie brickell: shooting rubber bands
 elton john: honky chateau
 echo: ocean rain
 dukes of stratosphear: psonic
 creedence: cosmo's
 costello: get happy, imperial bedroom
 chilton: document
 cheap trick: budokan

great deals, too
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »
dude thats were all those stolen records of mine ended up   :D
T.Rex

nkotb

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »
Anything left?  I may go this weekend if I can pull myself off the couch.  Stupid cold.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  made a pilgrimage to orpheus today ... a lot of the big stuff (smiths, replacements, new order, etc) is totally gone, but i found some gems:

great deals, too

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Anything left?  I may go this weekend if I can pull myself off the couch.  Stupid cold.
like i said, a lot of it is picked over and you're not going to find a lot of "big" names, but i still managed to find a bunch of albums that i really wanted ... the guy said that he's still re-stocking and buying used records, so there should be more out there
(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 03:20:37 am »
Mod Kosmo's Detroit home:

House of records at The Heidelberg Project in Detroit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:22:23 am by Jaguar »

dyecraig

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »
Cool thread, those were some good times.
Orpheus was a fun way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Cd Cellar, Earl's (next door) and Whole Foods are pretty much my only stops in Clarendon these days.
Remember 'keep clarendon weird'?
Wait a minute - EL POLLO RICO and that Vietnamese place way up the hill to the right - amazing grilled pork vermicelli...guess I'll be there tomorrow.

Yada

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:45 am »
Cool thread, those were some good times.
Orpheus was a fun way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Cd Cellar, Earl's (next door) and Whole Foods are pretty much my only stops in Clarendon these days.
Remember 'keep clarendon weird'?
Wait a minute - EL POLLO RICO and that Vietnamese place way up the hill to the right - amazing grilled pork vermicelli...guess I'll be there tomorrow.

When was Clarendon weird?  The whitest, chainiest place ever! That dump kareoke place in the strip mall was kinda cool. And Jays, does it still exist?

hutch

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:14 am »
I came in about 1993 and when you had Bardo, the old Iota, Galaxy Hut, Go CD,  and before the Whole Foods it was at least tolerable (although no great shakes)...I may be forgetting some stuff...

I miss Orpheus...the guy-rick- was a bit of a freak (not to mention the other guy who used to work there who was plain nuts) and had crazy prices on some stuff not to mention that crazy color price scheme he had but he put out some great stuff in those dollar bins...for a while I used to go about once a week and walk out with an armload of records for $20.. still can't get over that he gave up precisely at the time vinyl made a comeback...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 11:47:56 am »
Old Clarendon...nothing but Little Tavern, Sears, and a bunch of Vietnamese joints.  And Dan Kain Trophies, where I worked in high school.

Yada

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 11:59:55 am »
I always forget most of this board is pushin' 50.  ;D ;D ;D

You all have some years on me.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »
I always forget most of this board is pushin' 50.  ;D ;D ;D

Before this year is out... [raises hand] :-\
😐 🎶