Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2630772 times)

eltee

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #810 on: February 17, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »
Drive By Truckers Friday
M. Ward Saturday

Damn, I'm going to be tired out.
Yeah, I rested up this weekend b/c the next two weeks are a bit much. I had the holiday yesterday, so my mind is already on shows into next week.

Perhaps Von Bondies tomorrow, but you all said they are shite live.
A friend's show maybe Friday. Dang, I completely forgot about DBT (sorry Hoya...I probably didn't have money so I forgot).

M. Ward Sat.
Thinking about Kathleen Edwards Sunday, but again, money and work conflict..
Toad Tuesday b/c I couldn't get into JEW.
Griffin House Thursday.
Thinking about Tapes 'n' Tapes Fri and And You Will Know Us next Sat...but I haven't ventured to RnR yet, or solo.
(noting your post below sweetchex, hm. Obviously, I put the wrong date. Can't go Thurs. You should go and report back.)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:52:31 pm by Princess Tee »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #811 on: February 17, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »
Thinking about Trail of Dead since I like the new album. The show is next Thursday (not Sat...). Just got the newsletter from ticket alternative and they say it's "selling fast".
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #812 on: February 17, 2009, 06:36:25 pm »
Check your PM's.

Drive By Truckers Friday
M. Ward Saturday

Damn, I'm going to be tired out.
Yeah, I rested up this weekend b/c the next two weeks are a bit much. I had the holiday yesterday, so my mind is already on shows into next week.

A friend's show maybe Friday. Dang, I completely forgot about DBT (sorry Hoya...I probably didn't have money so I forgot).

M. Ward Sat.
Thinking about Kathleen Edwards Sunday, but again, money and work conflict..
Toad Tuesday b/c I couldn't get into JEW.
Griffin House Thursday.
Thinking about Tapes 'n' Tapes Fri and And You Will Know Us next Sat...but I haven't ventured to RnR yet, or solo.
(noting your post below sweetchex, hm. Obviously, I put the wrong date. Can't go Thurs. You should go and report back.)

احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #813 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:45 pm »

Can't speak for their later shows but when I saw them play the Backstage a few years ago, they were pretty good. This was back when they use to have the other girl guitar player and before they got a little more 'famous'. For whatever that's worth. It might not be the show of the season but I can't imagine it being all that bad either.

eltee

« Reply #814 on: February 19, 2009, 03:32:17 pm »
Oops. B/c of the holiday, I forgot about the Von Bondies were playing on Tuesday. Yesterday, I thought they were playing. Anyhow, didn't make it. Heard the turnout was a little low, and now they are wondering if others were mixed up from the holiday too.

Cali

« Reply #815 on: February 19, 2009, 05:20:38 pm »
reckless kelly tonight

Christine Moritz

« Reply #816 on: February 19, 2009, 06:33:47 pm »
Fujiya & Miyagi tonight.

Not sure yet about the weekend...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #817 on: February 20, 2009, 10:19:45 am »
Antony at Town Hall (!) thursday

so?!?
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #818 on: February 20, 2009, 05:22:29 pm »
As amazing as just about everyone who saw the DC show said it was. Beautiful, powerful performance. Sound was perfect. String arrangements were excellent. An all around awesome and fantastic performance.
احمد

redsock

« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
Terrible crowd, good show.
http://www.bigyawn.net/?p=240

And Fujiya and Miyagi sucked...

Oops. B/c of the holiday, I forgot about the Von Bondies were playing on Tuesday. Yesterday, I thought they were playing. Anyhow, didn't make it. Heard the turnout was a little low, and now they are wondering if others were mixed up from the holiday too.

killsaly

« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2009, 05:57:59 pm »
You didnt like the F & M set?  I thought it was an good set for them, though i did like them better sans drummer.  Im a big fan though, so that might influence my opinion a bit. 

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #821 on: February 21, 2009, 06:54:06 am »
Saw Antony and the Johnsons again at both NY shows, and wow...it was just fucking gorgeous. I can't believe how god damn beautiful those songs are...and the arrangements! So perfect, so compelling, and there was such a hushed reverence in the venue during the songs. Fucking owned it.

There were also a shit ton of random celebrities there.

Night 1 we saw Alison Janney, Kim Cattrall, Thora Birch, and other people I can't remember.

Night 2 we saw Bjork, Isabella Rosselini, St. Vincent, Willem Dafoe, Joan Wasser, and one of those great fashion designer guys that I don't know the name of. Maybe Marc Jacobs or something, but he looked like shit. Oh, and Ilan from Top Chef was there.
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #822 on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:13 am »
You suck.

I saw a trainwreck of a DBT show with Joe.

I hate you.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #823 on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »
azag: if it's any consolation, ixkpd-bk had to hang with me before and after the show.  almost as bad as a DBT train wreck :)

As amazing as just about everyone who saw the DC show said it was. Beautiful, powerful performance. Sound was perfect. String arrangements were excellent. An all around awesome and fantastic performance.

what azaghal (and ixkpd-bk, and many others) said.  wow.

I agree, that was tremendous. Perfect sound quality, great venue, the band sounded unbelievable. REALLY impressed with how they arranged the violins, cellos and various other instruments. And that voice! It's even more amazing live than it is on record. From a purely musical perspective, it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. Every song was epic, he really is a musical giant, and it was close to perfect.

The only negative, and god hell what a negative, was that stage banter. Holy shit Antony, you're going to seriously cripple this magical musical vibe you got going with that 6th-grade-schoolgirl schtick of "I just... umm..... well, y'know.... why don't we just be women.... and like... y'know... I'm sorry" It was so painful, and when he kept interupting the song to further blather on incoherently, I was dying.

what relaxer said, including about the awkward banter.  he pulled out an old t-shirt and a painted tile from a purple purse (!) and said that he was going to give them away, sorta like door prizes.  first there was an awkward moment as he figured out how to award the prizes, then he started disparaging the two prizes and said that no one really wants them, that they were trash, even though lamers in the crowd obviously wanted them.  if they are trash, why did you bring it up?  so embarrassing. 

although he did tell the funniest joke i've heard all week: "so they polled all 50 states to see which on they wanted to fall in to the ocean.  49 states voted for new york, and one voted for new jersey" :D :D :D

Night 2 we saw Bjork, Isabella Rosselini, St. Vincent, Willem Dafoe, Joan Wasser, and one of those great fashion designer guys that I don't know the name of. Maybe Marc Jacobs or something, but he looked like shit. Oh, and Ilan from Top Chef was there.

now you're making shit up.  bjork was NOT there, you would have told me!
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #824 on: February 21, 2009, 05:29:53 pm »
Bitch was in the house w/ M-Barney and Isadora at like Orchestra Row P!
Woof.