Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631418 times)

ggw

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1080 on: April 15, 2009, 10:53:36 am »
i don't like this tour thing anymore, i think.  get home at three, in bed and asleep by something or other after falling victim to a evening of countless bars, dinner at a nice benito box joint, and then many  ingested jestables while smiling wide toward the dead on stage again.  45 minute dark star . . . are you kidding me?  tipper gore on drums during encore?!  wavy gravy on side stage the entire night playing air guitar with his "mojo staff."  beer lines not all that bad.  but the kids next to me progessively got stinkier as the night went on.  oh well.  the scent of endless mary jane covered it well.  now i can say that i like phil.  he's ok by my books . . . and he even gets the nod for the donor rap.  but warren's singing ruins everything; just stick to your hands of magic.  eclectic crowd of all ages, all levels of boredom to enriched excitement from the ones retelling the tales of first shows and how many from the past attended where they know "venue,date,setlist,ticket price."  oh and those naughty nitrous tanks out front of the verizon.  a sea of pink and purple balloons.  pretty, silly tripping hippies.  and on to the next show tonight.  maybe i do still like this tour thing, though i feel old after every one.

So-so setlist.
Horrible execution.
Incredibly crappy sound.
Easy contender for worst Dead show I've ever seen.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1081 on: April 15, 2009, 11:05:27 am »
ggw is back....didn't you go to the last superdrag show? :)
(_|_)

walkonby

« Reply #1082 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:22 am »
i don't like this tour thing anymore, i think.  get home at three, in bed and asleep by something or other after falling victim to a evening of countless bars, dinner at a nice benito box joint, and then many  ingested jestables while smiling wide toward the dead on stage again.  45 minute dark star . . . are you kidding me?  tipper gore on drums during encore?!  wavy gravy on side stage the entire night playing air guitar with his "mojo staff."  beer lines not all that bad.  but the kids next to me progessively got stinkier as the night went on.  oh well.  the scent of endless mary jane covered it well.  now i can say that i like phil.  he's ok by my books . . . and he even gets the nod for the donor rap.  but warren's singing ruins everything; just stick to your hands of magic.  eclectic crowd of all ages, all levels of boredom to enriched excitement from the ones retelling the tales of first shows and how many from the past attended where they know "venue,date,setlist,ticket price."  oh and those naughty nitrous tanks out front of the verizon.  a sea of pink and purple balloons.  pretty, silly tripping hippies.  and on to the next show tonight.  maybe i do still like this tour thing, though i feel old after every one.

So-so setlist.
Horrible execution.
Incredibly crappy sound.
Easy contender for worst Dead show I've ever seen.

very, interesting.

« Reply #1083 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:31 pm »
Surely some of you are going to see Richard Cheese tonight? It's a sold out Wednesday show...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1084 on: April 15, 2009, 01:03:56 pm »
azaghal will be there :)

Surely some of you are going to see Richard Cheese tonight? It's a sold out Wednesday show...
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1085 on: April 15, 2009, 01:09:03 pm »
Yes, he will.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1086 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:02 am »
tuesday: dead weather at the bowery
wed: flight of the conchords @ radio city

the dead weather put on a solid blues-rock show.  jack's drumming was decent but nothing spectacular (then again the music didn't really lend itself to displays of virtuosity).  i've never seen the kills before but alison was a great front-woman.  definitely looking forward to seeing this band again.  BV's pixmy pix.

FotC pix in the "FotC poster" thread.

edit: spin's gushing review
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:17:38 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #1087 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:14 am »
No reports back on the Neko shows or Robyn H./Jennifer show?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1088 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:05 am »
Neko has her own thread.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1089 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:18 am »

Obits/The Points (both B+)
Neko Case (B+) / Crooked Fingers (B)
Comet Gain (B)
Beirut (A)
The Faint (A) / Ladytron (B)

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1090 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:22 pm »
Dick Cheese was a riot. Played for over two hours and I would've went for another two.

Ratatat were awful. I left three songs in. Black Pus, while not being a very appropriate opener for this show was incredible. Left the poor unsuspecting teenagers next to me in the front row in excruciating pain.

احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #1091 on: April 18, 2009, 11:45:08 am »
Ratatat review

Come on dude...no mention of the awesomely pummeling Brian Chippendale set? You know...the one he actually played in front of us as opposed to those fucking flash-in-the-pan hacks  who  relied on a backing track all night?
احمد

eltee

« Reply #1092 on: April 23, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
Anyone attend Damien Jurado, Alexi Murdoch or William Fitzsimmons this past week?

Sat. nite: what to do?
DNA at VL
Sara W./Justin Jones early at club
Teddy Thompson at Iota (think he'll go on at 10?)
Avant Fairfax

Unfortunately, I'll probably need to skip Avant. I'd like to catch part of DNA, and Sara and maybe head to Iota? Just not sure of Sara W. set time.

« Reply #1093 on: April 23, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »
Someone at Iota told me 10 or 10:15. That usually means 10:30 at the earliest.

This show is solo acoustic I'm on the fence...much prefer he had his band with him.

BookerT

« Reply #1094 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:19 pm »
solo acoustic at iota on saturday night is a recipe for disaster. the crowd chatter could be out of control and overwhelming.

Someone at Iota told me 10 or 10:15. That usually means 10:30 at the earliest.

This show is solo acoustic I'm on the fence...much prefer he had his band with him.