Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631241 times)

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1185 on: May 22, 2009, 02:05:17 pm »
Did anybody catch this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/21/AR2009052104214.html?referrer=emailarticle

Anvil Hammers Away, Proving The Film Hit the Nail on the Head

By Dave McKenna
Special to the Washington Post
Friday, May 22, 2009

Heavy metal isn't for the sentimental. But it was impossible to watch Anvil's odd live show at the E Street Cinema on Wednesday without getting a little weepy about all the can-miss Canadian band has been through for rock-and-roll.

Singer Steve "Lips" Kudlow and drummer Robb "Robbo" Reiner took the stage after a screening of "Anvil: The Story of Anvil," a documentary about how their friendship and band have survived decades of professional failures. The gig was part of a moviehouse tour promoting both the band and the film. It's a brilliant marketing combo: Seeing the damaged duo -- joined by bassist Glenn Five -- perform live after the movie was like watching the Yankees play after a screening of "The Lou Gehrig Story." You have no choice but to root for 'em.

The setting was wholly unmetallic, but Anvil didn't change its act a lick. As the film credits were still rolling, the house lights went up, and Kudlow, in the flesh and dressed in black, strolled up a staircase playing stock metal licks and screaming unintelligibles into the pickups of his Flying V. He then joined his mates beneath the screen and kicked into "March of the Crabs," a tune from Anvil's 1982 LP "Metal on Metal." That opening, like the rest of the 25-minute set, had all the energy and irony-free cartoonishness you'd want from the band in the movie. You never had to wait long for a grandiose and super-noisy pick slide from Kudlow or for Reiner to finger-roll his drumsticks with his hands held high.

Reiner really is a great drummer. His solo on "White Rhino" reminded folks that he was an early proponent of the now-standard heavy-metal kick drum roll, which creates the sort of rapid-fire sound you get when you put your tongue against the roof of your mouth and blow -- only much, much louder. But as he pounded away, one couldn't help but notice that Reiner was wearing the same necklace he talked about in the movie, the one with the golden drumsticks that his now-dead Auschwitz-survivor father gave to him as a teenager to show support for his musical endeavors, however unprofitable they might be. Go ahead, try not to cheer for that guy!

The performance, like the movie, closed with Anvil delivering "Metal on Metal," the anthem Kudlow and Reiner wrote when they were young, the song that was going to make them famous. The tune ends with Kudlow screaming "Keep on rocking!" Good God, has he practiced what he preached.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1186 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:52 am »
National x2 on sunday
Opeth/Enslaved wednesday
Either A Camp or Cymbals Eat Guitars thursday
Evan Miller at the Lighthouse friday
Isis/Pelican/Tombs saturday
Cake sunday

being incredibly jealous of Joe wednesday-sunday
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #1187 on: May 26, 2009, 03:47:42 pm »
Weds - Holy Fuck/Crocodiles: RNRH

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1188 on: May 26, 2009, 04:44:47 pm »
Sunday - Marty and Sacha (The Morning After Girls) @ Living Room

and Jag - EJ rocks! He has got to be the nicest, greatest, coolest guy ever :) And Marty was equally cool, but there was something pretty awesome about EJ. Ill prob be seeing him again on Sunday night hanging out with him at the show. Ive now been labeled one of their biggest fans since Ive been promoting their shows out here and said I'd help out with selling merch if they needed it.
HeyLa

nkotb

« Reply #1189 on: May 28, 2009, 11:05:03 am »
How was this?  I just got into that Crocodiles record, but found out about this too late (like, this morning).

azaghal1981

« Reply #1190 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:10 pm »
Crocodiles were my highlight of that Ladytron/Faint show.
احمد

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1191 on: May 28, 2009, 12:27:41 pm »

Crocodiles were way too loud at times, but they put on a good show.   Only about 25 minutes though.  I'm digging their new disc.  Holy Fuck were great.

How was this?  I just got into that Crocodiles record, but found out about this too late (like, this morning).

killsaly

« Reply #1192 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:04 pm »
The Crocodiles were entertaining, but their stage show definitely needs something else.  I really dig their cd, and it was cool seeing them, but too much of their music was prerecorded.  A drummer/bassist/keyboardist, or something would have definitely helped their stage presence.  They were ok though, dont get me wrong i dont mind bands that are less than traditional... but more players would have been nice.  They did have decent stage presence, the singer liked to twirl on his heels in his wingtips quite a bit and looked like he was having fun, and the guitarist did the guitarist thing...

Holy Fuck were great.  It was nice seeing them do a full set after only seeing them open for Sons and Daughters last year, and at Lollapalooza.  I was able to get a spot right by the stage and was able to really watch what the guys were doing.  I love the fact that they essentially take crap electronics and make great tunes with them.  They must practice all the time, because the two keyboard players have their instrument and cable switching down to a science.  The music was great (unless you hate HF for some reason...) and the crowd wasnt too crowded.  The sound was also excellent, some of the best I have heard at the Hotel, very clear, and bass heavy.  I made sure to bring earplugs, cause last year either Sons and Daughters or Holy Fuck caused my ears to ring for months, resulting in me having to go to the audiologist and getting custom made plugs made.  

All in all, it was a B+ show.  If the Crocodiles were a little more exciting, maybe it would have been an A- because of how good HF were.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:15:12 pm by killsaly »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1193 on: June 01, 2009, 03:15:05 pm »

and Jag - EJ rocks! He has got to be the nicest, greatest, coolest guy ever :) And Marty was equally cool, but there was something pretty awesome about EJ. Ill prob be seeing him again on Sunday night hanging out with him at the show. Ive now been labeled one of their biggest fans since Ive been promoting their shows out here and said I'd help out with selling merch if they needed it.

Yeah, EJ is one great guy. I like him a whole lot. He's also one Hell of a musician, both musically and on the technical side of things. Always has some good insight and/or helpful pointers for the geeks. You should also check out his other bands, Highspire and House Of Fire. Think you personally might prefer House Of Fire because it's more Dandy's sounding. (Not to be confused with all of those other House/Of/On/Fire bands. I've already gotten on him about that! LOL.) Both of his other bands are very good.

Please tell him I said 'hello' the next time you see him...and to get The Morning After Girls down this way soon! Hey, I'd be happy with seeing House Of Fire or Highspire but the Highspire thing isn't going to happen. Oh, and tell him that you heard from Jaguar that the word around is that 'he's so fey'. It's an inside joke from a long time ago we have from something I found and told him about. He'll laugh.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:21:28 pm by Jaguar »

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1194 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »

Yeah, EJ is one great guy. I like him a whole lot. He's also one Hell of a musician, both musically and on the technical side of things. Always has some good insight and/or helpful pointers for the geeks. You should also check out his other bands, Highspire and House Of Fire. Think you personally might prefer House Of Fire because it's more Dandy's sounding. (Not to be confused with all of those other House/Of/On/Fire bands. I've already gotten on him about that! LOL.) Both of his other bands are very good.

Please tell him I said 'hello' the next time you see him...and to get The Morning After Girls down this way soon! Hey, I'd be happy with seeing House Of Fire or Highspire but the Highspire thing isn't going to happen. Oh, and tell him that you heard from Jaguar that the word around is that 'he's so fey'. It's an inside joke from a long time ago we have from something I found and told him about. He'll laugh.

Jag - long story but i missed the show last night and didnt get to see EJ if he made it. stupid subway trains in the city were a nightmare and caused total havoc :( ah well. seems TMAG play monthly at the living room. they are planning a full tour soon was the last i heard when i talked to him. not sure when it might happen, but its in the works :)

This week: - Saturday - Dean & Britta @ Le Poisson Rouge
HeyLa

killsaly

« Reply #1195 on: June 01, 2009, 04:31:04 pm »
We definitely need a the Morning After Girls show....

This week:

Monday: Screen Vinyl Image/I was a King: BC

Tuesday: White Rabiits: RNRH

Saturday: RUFUSTIVAL 2009 Metro Gallery
(only going to second half though)
Thrushes:
The Sky Drops:
Chairlift:
Wye Oak:
The Dirty Projectors:
The Water:
A Place To Bury Strangers:

heather

« Reply #1196 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:22 pm »
white rabbits for me tomorrow as well.

friday - caverns (wishful thinking, probably won't make it)

saturday - david byrne / devotchka

walkonby

« Reply #1197 on: June 01, 2009, 05:42:00 pm »
mon through fri - working

weekends - playing in the outside

every day - vicariously living through stranger people who go to too many shows and will be deaf by the time they realize that posting their lives away on the internet does really waste precious brain cells.

oh yeah, and that cup cake in you know who's ear was yummy as :

andyrichter

« Reply #1198 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:19 pm »
Friday-PJ Harvey and John Parish @ Warner Theater
Saturday-Denali @ Black Cat

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1199 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »
saturday: NIN & Jane's Addiction & Street Sweeper @ PNC Bank Center, Holmden, NJ
sunday: Phish @ Susquehanna Bank Center, Camden, NJ

had tickets to see TVotR on friday at summerstage but decided to pass on the show... too much else going on, need at least one day/evening of productivity.  new york on a friday night is a huge hassle for me, especially since i'd have a suitcase in tow.  grumble grumble.
<sig>